PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Everyday Knife?

IanS
March 11, 2001, 03:28 AM
I lost my Spyderco Delica :( a few weeks ago. So I upgraded to a Benchmade Mel Pardue with the Axis lock :D. This one looks like a real keeper, smooth action, strong, and it closes well with one hand. Hope I hold onto this one for a long time.

So whats your favorite everyday duty knife?

shooter22
March 11, 2001, 03:51 AM
SOG Pentagon Elite II with arc lock. I love the shark tooth tip.

PJR
March 11, 2001, 06:05 AM
Depends on the day:

Spyderco Calypso while wearing a suit,
Spyderco Military if wearing jeans,
Custom skinning knife while hunting,
Leatherman Wave on the belt while shooting

Do have other knives but these are the main ones.

Captain
March 11, 2001, 11:03 AM
I carry two Benchmade 970s with the Black T finish. One in each front pocket just in case the strong hand is occupied when I need one!

Cat
March 11, 2001, 11:31 AM
I am not a knife fighter.
I've carried a Buck 501 "Squire" for 25 years now. It's always in my pocket. Even at weddings and funerals.

Neil Casper

March 11, 2001, 11:51 AM
Right now it is a Buck 110 converted to automatic by Cumberland Mountain. I have been carrying a Spyderco Endura for the last couple years and really like it. I am starting to look into Cold Steel. Their claims of strength interest me. I know all about using the right tool for the job and all that, but sometimes something comes up that needs done and all you have is a knife. I snapped the tip off a Spyderco. I watched a tape of guys bending Cold Steels in vises, hanging from them etc.

Coronach
March 11, 2001, 11:53 AM
The M-1 tank of the knife world. The knife's sister, the Hobbit, is the A-10 of the knife world. REKAT builds them tough.

Mike

4V50 Gary
March 11, 2001, 12:46 PM
Swiss Army Champion (the older one without the pliers). Been to Europe three times with me, to China once and across this continent about half a dozen times.

Incursion
March 11, 2001, 01:18 PM
EDI Genesis I

tatters
March 11, 2001, 11:30 PM
You guys are more high speed than me when it comes to knives.
I work for a Cat dealer, and they have their own Cat branded knife collection.

I carry a cheapo 2" to open boxes with, and I sometimes carry a bigger version with a clip.
Nice looking and functional for me.

Scott Evans
March 12, 2001, 02:26 PM
Emerson Commander

Very used ... good knife.

Hard Ball
March 12, 2001, 03:50 PM
An Emerson Commander folder for routine carry. A stag handled Randall Number One when hunting or camping. Both are excellent knives.

Kernel
March 12, 2001, 05:37 PM
http://www.victorinox.ch/newsite/images/produkte/0-4603.jpg
My "always" knife is a Victorinox Tinker Swiss Army Knife. I've carried one daily for 20 years, it's like a Craftsman 88pc toolset that fits unobtrusively in your pocket. My favorite sheath knife is the Schrade Sharpfinger with stainless Schrade+ blade. From Bluegill, to rabbit, to deer the Sharpfinger does them all with grace and ease. -- Kernel

AAChang
March 12, 2001, 06:21 PM
Mine is a Spyderco Terzuola, a X-mas present from my friends. I have very nice friends :D

BobCA
March 12, 2001, 08:43 PM
Spyderco Native. Very handy. Great size, shape, weight, and price. Most importantly, I won't cry if something happens to it like my old Benchmade AFCK.

Tony N
March 12, 2001, 09:56 PM
Spyderco Mini Dyad

darogue1
March 12, 2001, 10:59 PM
Emerson CQC-7 tanto point chisel blade single side grind Black T finish

[Edited by darogue1 on 03-12-2001 at 11:24 PM]

Sneevil
March 12, 2001, 11:02 PM
Buck Solitaire

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/buck/images/180SX.gif

sig970
March 13, 2001, 01:26 AM
A simple Swiss army knife, much like the one in Kernel's picture.

Javahed
March 13, 2001, 02:50 AM
Work -- MOD CQD auto
Home -- MOD Hornet

Dan

DougB
March 13, 2001, 03:34 AM
I bought a Kershaw Whirlwind for about $55 last fall. It has spring assisted cam opening - which means it is about a close to being a switchblade as you can legally carry. It looks like a typical lock blade knife with a pocket clip and a nub on the blade for opening. The big difference is - when you start to push it open, all you have to do is get it started (maybe 1/6 open) and the spring takes over and flips it fully open. Its great fun. When I first got it, I could hardly stop playing with it (about drove my wife crazy for a few days). Anyway, it is a very solid, well-designed, well-made knife that can be very quickly and easily opened with one hand. If you try one, be careful not to let your thumb leave the handle when you flip it open or you could cut yourself. It feels a little dangerous at first, but after you practic a little, it becomes very natural. I really like this knife. There are more expensive versions and a few other variations. All are nice, but I think the basic whirlwind is a great buy.

Doug

griz
March 13, 2001, 08:02 AM
I've been carring a little no-name folder for about 10 years. It looks like a two inch version of the Buck Squire mentioned earlier. It was a factory over run or some such, made by Case I think. It's nothing fancy but fits in my pocket well, holds an edge OK, and I would miss it if I lost it.

David Scott
March 13, 2001, 10:15 AM
Columbia River M16-13Z.

http://www.shoptimax.com/ProductImages/CRM16-13Z.jpg

bj426
March 13, 2001, 10:39 AM
My Benchmade is always with me for big jobs and protection..... smooth .... sturdy.... fast and holds a great edge.... but for the money.... it better!

but my leatherman micra is also in my pocket and gets used continually througout the day.... certainly an invaluable tool.... I recently lost mine having had it since production started on them.... I couldn't go one day without replacing it... I'd recomend anyone consider getting one if they don't have one.... small enough to be a keychain... but versitile enough to repair/fix/dissasemble/tune anything throughout the day.

Thumper
March 13, 2001, 02:16 PM
Mine's an Emerson CQC-7 with the standard blade.

I covet an Emerson Commander. My best friend has one.

ckurts
March 13, 2001, 03:40 PM
Always have a Leatherman Micra as a keychain fob. Usually carry a CRKT M16-02Z or KISS folder. Occasionally a Leatherman PST.

cobraman
March 13, 2001, 03:41 PM
Same as David Scott. Sometimes I carry a CRKT Neck Peck but I lost the sheath recently. I know its in my G/F's aparment I just dont no where.
I used to work at a store that sold CRKT knives. When you pay dealer cost they are an even better deal!

Phillip
March 13, 2001, 05:38 PM
I usually carry an Emerson Commander, or some other Emerson.

VictorLouis
March 13, 2001, 07:07 PM
REKAT Pioneer, or CRKT CCFF in the small size.

blades67
March 14, 2001, 02:13 AM
Benchmade Mel Pardue AutoBlade and 940 Osborn Axis Lock. I also have my Leatherman Wave on me almost all the time.

Pirate
March 14, 2001, 06:31 AM
Has anyone had experiences with the Robbie Dalton Cupid or any other of his automatic knives?

Gus~
March 14, 2001, 01:37 PM
I carry a Microtech UDT, everyday.

Correia
March 14, 2001, 02:10 PM
Spyderco Delica on a quick detach buckle on my keychain. Same knife every day for 6 years.

Jhp147
March 14, 2001, 06:24 PM
I bought an SOG Access Card on a whim, 32 bucks or so. Figured I'd play with it a bit and sell it for 10 or 15 bucks on the net when I got tired of it. It has a clip so it can be used as a money clip, I guess, but they sort of imply it can be carried in a wallet. Won't fit there, but in my off side pocket it is great. Very thin, good general use blade shape, easy one-hand opening, and a much more comfortable handle than the Spyderco credit card style folder. This one is a keeper. It won't cut me out of a crashed helo or cut through giant manila cords in a single swipe, but I don't encounter many of either.

navaho
March 15, 2001, 01:27 AM
My wife carries the same knife, except hers is the
left-handed version.

SarcasmGuy
March 15, 2001, 02:19 AM
Benchmade AFCK........had it (among many others) for two years..........use it EVERY day.........it's still going strong.......best ergonomics out there.

Pretty sure I'll have a nervous breakdown if I ever lose it ;).

AC's & 45's
March 15, 2001, 08:18 AM
Spyderco - Rookie Model

skevlar
March 15, 2001, 01:58 PM
If CCW then it's an Emerson Commander. Otherwise very partial to a MicroTech Socom M/A or EDI Genesis 1. {the thumb-studs on the EDI could be a little bigger though}

at2000
March 15, 2001, 05:22 PM
I carry a CRKT KISS at all times.

LMo
March 15, 2001, 05:57 PM
My everyday knife is a Sebenza. Excellent knife that holds an edge well. It's easy to re-sharpen & take apart for cleaning. The lock is incredibly beefy.

I used to have an AFCK for 5 years until the liner lock failed. That's when I decided to get the Sebenza.

abrahamsmith
March 15, 2001, 11:29 PM
Benchmade Osborne 940 axislock

See some Pics: http://euclid.dsl.wisc.edu/~abe/pics/Arms/

OMCHamlin
March 17, 2001, 02:23 AM
Kershaw Talon (1 year)or Spyderco Police (6-7 years) and a Sebertech M-4 on my keychain, at sea, add a Gerber locking, needlenose Multiplier on my belt.

KODB
March 17, 2001, 10:28 AM
Something by Mad Dog Knives :)

Either a Rat Thing or Voodoo Hound almost every day.
Panther for more potentially serious social situations.
ATAK2 for all around utility when outdoors/hiking.

Regards,

Bob

Zak Smith
March 17, 2001, 07:11 PM
Benchmade 940, sometimes a Spyderco Calypso Jr.

For "field" use, a BM 730.

-z

3 gun
March 17, 2001, 08:01 PM
Leather Wave on the belt and a CRKT M16-02Z in back pocket. Don't leave home with out it/them.

Jody Hudson
March 17, 2001, 10:18 PM
Swiss Champ and Cold Steel's largest Voyager. I've had both on me since they were first introduced. Great tools!!!!

saands
March 18, 2001, 01:11 AM
Mine is a 3" decorated Sebenza ... I used to buy a knife a month or so ... looking for the perfect one. I have only bought one knife in the 2 years that I have owned the Sebenza and that was to replace a cheaper one I lost on a trip as I don't take the Sebenza to the airport.

Beautiful, practical, sharp and it has a bomb-proof lock!

Clead
March 18, 2001, 02:20 AM
CRKT Crawford/Kasper Folder and Leatherman Supertool. I can do anything with these two. The Leatherman has cut through aluminum seat-tubes on two occasions (on-trail mtn. bike repairs). The Crawford/Kasper is on my person all waking hours. Great knife for the money.
Clead

Erik
March 19, 2001, 02:05 AM
A plain edged Benchmade Mini-AFCK in M2 and a Leatherman Wave go everywhere with me.

VIEJO
March 19, 2001, 07:23 AM
At home: Spyderco ProGrip
Away: Spyderco Endura
Keychain: A little blue IDF Wenger swiss

[Edited by VIEJO on 03-23-2001 at 02:59 PM]

Handgun Harry
March 21, 2001, 06:40 PM
Benchmade ATS-34 Automatic.

Nice little 3 inch (just under the legal limit in Oregon) knife..

The Benchmade AFCK (Advanced Folding Combat Knife) is an AWESOME knife as well..

Out of all the knives I've owned Benchmade is my personal favorite/best. Lifetime warrenty against all damage, plus free sharpenings for life.. plus they're based out of Oregon, and it's only a 30 minute drive for me down to em'.. hehe

Marko Kloos
March 22, 2001, 12:08 AM
My everyday knife is a Spyderco Delica with the plain satin blade. My favorite is my Kasper/Crawford folder with the 3.9" plain edge...excellent folder for the money, robust as hell and fits the hand well.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -Viking Proverb

Tamara
March 22, 2001, 11:11 AM
Gee, I have three knives that could qualify as "everyday"; my CRKT KISS, the Kershaw Ken Onion "Blackout", and the CRKT Neck PECK. The "Blackout" would be my favorite, if forced to choose.

OF
March 22, 2001, 05:46 PM
A Spyderco Calypso Jr. serrated with the micarta handle everyday, or ocassionally a Benchmade McHenry and Williams 710S axis-lock.

- gabe

WoundChannel
March 24, 2001, 09:56 AM
I have carried it for the last five years. Bought it at the factory (MISTAKE!). Paid full retail, doh! It is not a wittler, but IMHO, it is great for what it was intended, a back up to a back up. I even carry it everyday at the hospital I work at, just in case those pesky patients get out of hand. ;) I am thinking a sheepsfoot type blade would be more appropriate for my line of work.

I am deciding between a Busse or Maddog for my next blade, just as soon as my wife gets over my firearm purchases. "Finances! What finances! Give me my damn credit card back!"

Mikke
March 25, 2001, 06:35 AM
Benchmade 910 Stryker, plain blade 90% of the time. BM Mini-AFCK 5% of the time, other knifes for the rest. :)

Phil
March 27, 2001, 11:31 PM
Benchmade 940 Osbourne and an itty bitty 3 blade, Schrade Old Timer (Junior?).

revolvergeek
March 28, 2001, 01:39 PM
Spyderco Tim Wagner, full size, backed up with a Victorinox Yeoman.

nedfig
March 28, 2001, 02:14 PM
Am I the only one that carries a Colt CT29. The anodizing is starting to wear off the handle, but it still holds an edge. I've really been checking out the CRKT M16 line.

Cmc
March 28, 2001, 09:15 PM
I also carry a CT 29 Colt ,3 " folding tanto blade with pocket clip , the handle on mine is ZYTEL plastic.

craigz
March 30, 2001, 01:44 AM
Large Sebenza. It's ruined me for all other folders.

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/images/chrisreeve/cr-sebenza.jpg

HunterWarrior
April 10, 2001, 08:55 PM
Mad Dog ATAK

http://64.177.53.248/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Mad+Dog+Knives&number=7&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=

guerilla1138
April 10, 2001, 09:47 PM
Some of you have expensive taste in knives, Emerson Commanders, Mad Dog's, Busse's..... whoa.

Ok well I guess I am kinda part of the club, I carry an Emerson Commander every day, since I got it in october.
Its a tank of a folder, non of the quality control problems with it that I have heard whined about on other commanders.
Satin finished blade, partially serrated. I love it.
Only thing that might ever replace it in my pocket is a plain edge ES1-M, which is the 4+ inch blade version that is custom made by Ernest Emerson.

If I carry a fixed blade its a Sog Seal Pup, in an IWB sheath. Nice tough working knife, that should hold up if it was ever needed for more serious matters.
Once I have the money I will probably be replacing that with either a Mad Dog, or a custom fighter by Jay Fisher of Magdalena New Mexico.

Not bad for a 15 year old eh?

The Sniper
May 5, 2001, 03:27 AM
I presently carry a Benchmade folder - Stryker model

Sling Shot
May 5, 2001, 08:03 AM
My everday carry knife is a large Benchmade AFCK plain edge, satin blade. I am looking forward to buying the new release of the Griptilian by Benchmade. Looks like it will be a good buy since it will have the axis lock.
Sling Shot

rnpollard
May 5, 2001, 10:35 PM
I carry a Small Sebenza every day. There are very few things that the average guy can own and use on a daily basis that are the best. I think the small Sebbie is just that. At under 3" in blade length is can fly with me. It is solid. I have total confidence in this knife. It is always clipped to my right front pocket.

If I could only own 1 knife it would be the Small Sebenza. If I could only own 2 knives I would buy a spare.

I own the small in the Plain Right hand model, the plain left hand model, the tanto model, and the LDC Customized Model with a bit of a false edge and a computer generated graphic model. I believe I will own a wood inlay model by the end of the year. I will carry it. I will use it. When necessary I can send it back to Chris in Idaho and have it cleaned up for next to nothing.

The best $300 or so you will EVER spend.

xtrarnds
May 7, 2001, 03:31 AM
I cary a Victorinox Classic Swiss army knife (the smallest one they make) and a Benchmade Mel Pardue designed 350. I have been carying this combo for over two years now. Very useful knives.

D-SEC
May 7, 2001, 05:16 AM
AT WORK, I CARRY A BENCHMADE 710 IN THE CARGO POCKET OF MY PANTS, AND A CRKT KISS IN THE TRAUMA PLATE POUCH ON MY VEST, WHEN I AM NOT WORKING,SOMETIMES THE 710 BUT USUALLY NO KNIFE AT ALL.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
May 8, 2001, 05:43 PM
My Gerber multi-tool is my everyday knife and a whole lot more. I think the one I have is a sporter model in brushed stainless with the lockable accessories(the wife gave it to me for valentines day). The police never question it because it is a multi tool. The whole thing could be used very effectively in my hand if I needed it to defend myself. It comes in handly too many times to count. I up graded from a swiss army knife that I had always carried on me since I was a very young man.

Gary H
May 11, 2001, 11:22 PM
Rekat Sifu

Spectre
May 12, 2001, 10:49 AM
Spyderco Native, front left pocket.

Carried a Solitaire Crosslock for about two years, but I don't trust traditional liner-style locks.

I've also carried a Cold Steel Voyager. Should've held onto it, as well, though it's a bit big to explain easily at the office. My Spyderco does get used there, though...

Kentucky Rifle
May 13, 2001, 10:13 PM
The best I ever had.

Kentucky Rifle

EQP
May 14, 2001, 01:27 PM
Put me down for an Emerson Commander. Just love that knife.

drcohen
May 15, 2001, 03:17 PM
My TOPS (Tactical-Ops USA) with the blacked out (glare proofing) is great. Ugly but practical.

I know M.O.D., Emerson, SOG and others are popular, but this is really nice.

http://www.bestdefense.com

LiquidTension
May 16, 2001, 12:57 AM
Carried a Gerber EZOut for a few years. Now I carry a CRKT M16-13Z. I cannot say enough about this knife. I'd rather have it than some of the $100+ knives I've handled. And with the Carson flipper it is beyond fast. I think they have a carbon fiber version with the carson flipper now, too.

Steve Veltrie
May 17, 2001, 09:24 PM
A really cheap $5 made in China folder. Got it a a gun show. Its my work knive. If I lose it, break it, or whatever who cares its only a $5 knive.
My Spyderco Spydercard goes everywhere with me.

BMWGS80
May 20, 2001, 01:15 PM
Depends on what I grab out of the basket. I keep two baskets by my front door. One has sharp knives in it the other the dull ones for resharpening. I just start putting a knife in each pocket of my pants until they all have one before I leave the house. I've just accumulated a lot of sharp pointy things in the last several years. It is a shame for them just to be lonesome in the safe.

Examples:

Spyderco delica,endura, Terzola, cricket, police
REKAT Pioneer DP, Carnivor, Carnivor Cub
SAK Climber, Tinker
Crawford Carnivore, Point Guard
Carson Md.4, M-16
BM CQC-7, Mel Pardue, Ascent
Klotzi SF/CF
Case trapper
CRKT TiTac, M-16, Casper
MOD Trident, Wasp

Just a short list,

Cheers,

TS

FPrice
May 20, 2001, 01:32 PM
CRKT M16-13Z, with the spear point. I prefer the Tanto blade, but this particular knife is very slick and carries and opens well.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

224Man
May 20, 2001, 03:44 PM
Cold Steel Voyager series followed by Spyderco Delica.