PDA

View Full Version : Make sure it fits!

cuerno de chivo
March 5, 2001, 11:07 PM
I tested my 590A1 with the factory stock. 100rds of bird and 3 buck and 3 slug. Beat the heck out of my shoulder. Replaced the stock with a cut down wood Mossberg 600 stock and slip-on Pachmayr(sp?) recoil pad. It fits my short arms and thick chest much better now, and it now feels much softer to shoot.

Dave McC
March 6, 2001, 07:54 AM
Maybe next time you'll believe me(G)....

Seriously, most of us shoot less effectively than we could because we use stocks that are not quite right. A bit of tinkering and adjustment can be a great investment.

Right now, my 870 stocks run up to nearly 15" on the trap gun to the more/less standard 13 1/2". The shorter ones actually could be a little longer, but I can work with them. That long trap stock is for a premounted game under strict criteria, and would not give a clean fast mount easily.

"Serious" shotgun stocks should be a little on the short side,classically speaking, for use under bad conditions. These are shot more like rifles most of the time.

Any shooter of less than average height needs a less than average length stock more than a more than average height shooter needs a long one.

pepemarine
March 8, 2001, 10:43 PM
LA MEJOR ESCOPETA ES CON LA QUE MEJOR ACIERTAS NO ES LA DE MEJOR MARCA, TENGO PERAZZIS, WICHESTERS, ZOLI, BERETTAS, SAUER, WEBLEYS, LA QUE MAS ME ACOMODA ES LA MAS BARATA Y FEA, YA QUE UN DIA ROMPI MI CULATA CUANDO TROPECÉ Y LE MANDE HACER UNA A MI MEDIDA. POR ESO AHORA NO DISPARO TANTO PORQUE ACIERTO MAS.

pepemarine@hotmail.com

tengo un buen culatero. MEXICO.

KilgorII
March 8, 2001, 11:30 PM
Whoa! Three years of Spanish and I can understand about 45% of that. Shaking my head in shame.

cuerno de chivo
March 8, 2001, 11:47 PM
"The best shotgun is the one that you can hit with, not the best brand. I have PERAZZIS, WICHESTERS, ZOLI, BERETTAS, SAUER, WEBLEYS. The one that fits me the best is the cheapest and ugliest that has had the stock made to fit my measurements after I tripped and broke the original one. With the new stock, it takes fewer shots to hit with.

I have a good stock maker."

More or less. I think. My Spanish skills are not too sharp anymore.

KilgorII
March 8, 2001, 11:54 PM
I'm impressed. I just graduated with a B.S. in poultry science. I interned with a major poultry company and as a breaking me in thing the put me on a farm for a week where no one spoke English. A couple of the guys were really nice, but I assure you there were many laughs on both sides as they tried to teach me more Spanish and I tried to teach them some English. I have got to work on it more.

pepemarine
March 10, 2001, 09:44 PM
98% TRANSLATION CUERNO DE CHIVO.

LAS COSAS QUE SE APRENDEN BIEN NUNCA SE OLVIDAN.

Romulus
March 11, 2001, 04:00 AM
Kilgor, you're not by chance a U of MD grad, College Park? When I went there, advanced poultry judging was a favorite elective course for undergrads...

KilgorII
March 11, 2001, 01:08 PM
No Rom, I graduated from the University of Arkansas. I'm currently working on my M.S. in poultry health here. The company was Pilgrim's Pride down in Texas. Poultry Judging is a popular course for poultry majors here too :D