PDA

View Full Version : Ohio TFL gathering

falconer
February 7, 2001, 11:27 AM
Is anyone interested in having an Ohio TFL shoot? I was thinking sometime in late March, anywhere from the 16th to 25th really (spring break).

falconer
February 8, 2001, 03:11 PM
Ok, I got one response in email this morning. Anyone else?

1S1K
February 8, 2001, 10:06 PM
Falconer, I cant believe we are the olny two people in Ohio.

Hal
February 9, 2001, 05:44 PM
Actually, there's quite a few of us here from Ohio. Depending on my work schedule, I may be open for it.

falconer
February 11, 2001, 11:01 AM
A couple of the guys I shoot with said they would be interested in going. One might bring his class 3 toys depending on where we go

falconer
February 11, 2001, 08:00 PM
Also, Is anyone going to be at the Medina Gun Show next weekend?

AK2KX
February 11, 2001, 08:07 PM
Where in Ohio? I'm near Detroit, so I may be able to make it on a weekend.

falconer
February 11, 2001, 09:23 PM
AK2KX, I'm not sure where. I supposed thats up to whoever wants to go. I'm in NE Ohio near Akron (actually I'm in columbus, but I'll be home in march for spring break), so is thebluesman(if he decides to come) and I think RAE is too.

1S1K
February 11, 2001, 10:26 PM
Falconer are you planing a day trip or making a weekend of it? State range or private land?

Hal
February 12, 2001, 05:45 AM
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/odnr/wildlife/hunting/specials/granges.html

Most of the public State run ranges are in the Southern Ohio area. The bulk of us here at TFL are in Northern Ohio, (Yes, I'm in Akron). The closest ODNR range to the Cleveland/Akron area is Grand River, up by Mentor Headlands. There's a number of private indoor ranges, On Taget in Lorain comes to mind, that are an hour to 1 1/2 hour drive from Akron, Toledo, Mansfield area. The problem with indoors is handgun only and limited range. That doesn't particularly bother me, but I know lots of you folks want to shoot long arms, which is also fine by me.

falconer
February 12, 2001, 10:21 AM
1S1K,

I was thinking just a day trip, that would be easier for people to make room in their schedules.

hksigwalther
February 12, 2001, 09:27 PM
Sorry I hadn't posted earlier. Don't normally look into Lock and Load. Maybe a head-up about this thread in the General forum will draw in more Ohioans/Pennsylvanians/New Yorkers.

I pretty sure I'll be up for it.

Engineer
February 13, 2001, 10:09 PM
hey guys,

Found my way over from the general forum ... anyway, I'm up here in Cleveland, but if people are interested in getting together for a shoot somwhere, count me in!

RAE - the only indoor place that I know of up here in the NE Ohio area that lets somebody shoot rifles is at Stonewall (only on specific days though)

Ed

Engineer
February 13, 2001, 10:16 PM
falconer,

Missed your post up there. I'll most likely be heading to the Medina show this weekend. I'll probably be there when it opens up on Saturday as I feel the calling for another Makarov. Hopefully Frank and Karen will have some with them.

falconer
February 13, 2001, 10:23 PM
It looks like I'll be at the medina show saturday around 2pm or so if anyone wants to meet up.

rvb
February 13, 2001, 11:04 PM
I love the idea of an OH TFL shoot. That week of March is also my Spring Break, although I'll be using part of it to search for housing out of state (new job upon May graduation). So either of those weekends would probably work. I could probably swing either central or NE OH.

falconer, engineer,
I'll most likely be attending the show on Sat. I've never attended a gun show before, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking of leaving the checkbook, plastic, and green at home to prevent those impulse buys!

I plan to be there earlier... like 10ish.

stay safe, and keep us posted on the OH TFL shoot! :)

rvb

falconer
February 14, 2001, 01:25 AM
If you guys see a 19 year old guy wearing a black jacket with the words Ho Chun and a dragon embroidered on it; smack me upside the head and say hello. I might get there earlier if I leave class a little early.

Engineer
February 14, 2001, 01:48 AM
rvb,

Medina is a nice show - at least you don't have to pay for parking like some of the others (and I almost got boxed in at the last Summit show). You might as well bring some cash because there will most likely be something that will catch your eye and hey, you've already paid your five bucks, you might as well get something and not go home empty handed. If I remember, the last show I was contemplating finally getting setup to reload .223 and came home with a Makarov and ammo. My plan this time is to leave with just a Lee auto-disk powder measure but who knows what's gonna happen.

falconer,

geez man, how do you already know what you are going to wear? I think I'm going to roll out of bed and put on whatever stinks the least... :)

I'll probably get there around 9:00 - I think Plateshooter got me into the habit of getting there at opening, lest I miss that one great bargain (which I still have yet to find)

plateshooter
February 14, 2001, 05:22 AM
I'll be at the Medina show Saturday morning as well.
I'm also from NE OHIO and would be interested in a
get together shoot if I can get there.

falconer
February 14, 2001, 08:31 AM
Engineer,

Thats the only jacket I've been wearing lately :-p I too go for the "what stinks least" method of dressing, that or the "whatever hits my hand first when I stick it in the closet" approach.

3Gun sent me some info on a possible location, I'll post it later after I get back from class.

falconer
February 14, 2001, 09:01 AM
Ok, here is the email I got from 3gun.

The rifle club (Tusco) I belong to is having a steel plate shoot on March 25th(Sunday). This shoot is open to the public. Rifles, pistols, shotguns and full auto all have a place. Shooting runs from around 10am until about 4pm.
Nonmembers must stay at the steel match unless you are with a member. Memberships are around $63 the first year and $37 the following years and are available at the snack bar during the shoot. The club has a 300yard main range, 3 trap fields, a couple of 100 yd ranges and a 50 yd pistol/22 only range and a practice range which is open to full auto. It's located in the Dover area.

How's that sound guys? I could probably swing it (spring quarter starts the next day, might be a pain but doable). I've never done a plate shoot before, sounds interesting.

Engineer
February 14, 2001, 09:38 AM
falconer,

Tusco is a really nice place - Plateshooter brought me to one of the shoots there last year and I had a great time. It's a very humbling experience though - I realized just how much more pactice I need and just how well some people can really shoot. The only saving grace of my outing is that I actually did well on the pistol course my first time through it. Unfortunately, Sundays are pretty much out for me (at least until after Easter) - but maybe we can get something else together for a Saturday sometime in the future.

falconer
February 14, 2001, 10:30 AM
Engineer,

Sundays aren't the greatest for me either because of work. Maybe we could meet at Tusco, just not the day of the event?

hksigwalther
February 14, 2001, 07:33 PM
Hmm, Tusco. falconer, can you tell me driection on how to get there? (off of 77)

falconer
February 14, 2001, 07:49 PM
hksigwalther , No clue. Dover or New Philly exit maybe? Does anyone who is a member of Tusco know if we could all gather there on Saturday the 24th?

hksigwalther
February 14, 2001, 08:05 PM
Hmm. I think there is someone in FNFAL.com that either is a member or goes there frequently. I'll have to ask over there (if the site is back up from maintenance).

Engineer, what are the requirements for Zeppelin Rifle Club? And when did Stonewall allow rifle (centerfire)? Back when I was a member when it was only $100/yr, they only allowed .22lr rifle maximum and no 12ga slugs.

hksigwalther
February 14, 2001, 09:25 PM
At FNFAL.com

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/Forum9/HTML/000097.html

Will post there for more info.

Engineer
February 14, 2001, 09:28 PM
I have my little Tusco card somewhere at home and I think it either has directions or the address ... I'll have to look for it when I get home from work tonight.

Zeppelin's only real restriction is that you have to be recommended by a member. You basically need a member with you to get in and shoot there as a guest. After someone comes with you as a guest two or three times, they expect your guest to sign up as a member. I believe the fees are something like $150 for the first year ($100 initiation + $50 dues) and then $50 a year thereafter. After getting a member signature on your application card, you just have to go through a basic safety course with one of the range officers (they're sticklers there for safety, which, IMHO, is a good thing) where you basically show them you know how to carry a gun up to the firing line, can shoot without putting holes in yourself, and that's about it. Then I think they go through the list of new applicants every board meeting which happens about once a month. Unfortunatley, I live far enough away that I really have to plan a trip out there otherwise, I think I would take advantage of the facilities more.

As for Stonewall, I think high-power centerfile rifles are allowed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. But at $15 an hour, it's pretty pricey. I've also shot my 12 ga there, but I don't remember if the no slugs rule applied (I was only shooting birdshot at the time). I believe membership is now up to something like $200 or $225 a year (yikes!)

Not much else up around here except Big Bore in Eastlake and On Target in Lorain (unless anybody knows of any others).

TheBluesMan
February 14, 2001, 10:07 PM
Whatever you guys decide, I'll definitely make an effort to be there.

-Dave

3 gun
February 15, 2001, 11:04 AM
Getting to the rifle club is easy. From I-77 get to US 250 East. On US 250 the exit you want is Midvale. Turn left (north into town) at the end of the ramp and follow the signs. Tusco is a members only club unless you are attending an open shoot,like the plate match on March 25th. Members are able to bring one guest to the range and they must stay together. Don't know how hard it would be to schedule a TFL members day or cost, but I can find out if need be. Great club,great people. Well worth the trip if you have the time.

falconer
February 15, 2001, 03:45 PM
Ok, so do we all meet at Tusco for the plate shoot the 25th, or try a different location? Maybe just everyone meet at Pro Gun or Stone Hedge or something?

Engineer
February 15, 2001, 06:09 PM
I'm curious to see how many people we have here that are interested and where a central meeting area might be - maybe Akron or a little further south??? Sundays are usually out for me unless you guys plan on staying later into the afternoon/early evening.

1S1K
February 15, 2001, 06:54 PM
Falconer,
Do you have any info on the plate shoot.
What can we use? time? Number of rounds? Distance? Any outher good info?

The olny day I can't make it is March 6th.

falconer
February 15, 2001, 09:21 PM
Ok,

So far we have me, dave, engineer, 3gun, 1s1k, hksigwalther, RAE, rvb, plateshooter and AK2KX(if he feels like making the drive from detriot).

Akron seems like a central location and Tusco wouldn't be bad either.

So, do we all want to attend the plate shoot on the 25 (engineer can't make it then)? Or shall we meet at a range in the Akron area on the 24th?

Maybe one of the guys from Tusco could post rules, times, etc... for the plate shoot.

Engineer
February 15, 2001, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

One of the people I shoot with took some photos of the Tusco range and the different courses they have. I'm not sure if he wanted me linking directly to his page, so I copied some of the photos and captions and placed them on my photopoint page - you can get to the here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1357396&a=11596441

As far as rifles, anything goes ... though most people had AR's there .. but there was everything there including people with bolt guns. You can take a look at the course in some of the pictures. My first outing with my AR took me 20 rounds to take out all the targets.

My only qualm with Sunday mornings is that I have church obligations so I can't make it out until probably early afternoon if I have to drive down to Tusco. The range is really a nice place - I was drooling when I first saw it.

Engineer
February 15, 2001, 11:40 PM
Oh yeah, when I went to Tusco - it was a fun shoot and if I remember correctly, it was either $1 a run or $5 to shoot all day at the rifle stations and $1 a run at the pistol course.

BTW, the other dates for the shoots are (these are all Sundays and subject to change because I am just copying down the disclaimer on the page they gave me with the dates :) )

April 22
May 20
June 24
July 15
August 12
September 9
September 23
October 21
November 4

3 gun
February 16, 2001, 01:48 AM
My guess is that the 3/25/01 shoot will be a "fun" match.Shoot whatever you have against anyone you'd like.

The rules at Tusco during all matches... 1) Safety first! If your not sure of what is being asked of you or why,sound off. The 4 basic rules are followed on all ranges. Load only on the firing line and only on command. Eyes and ears are a good idea at all times anywhere on the grounds.

For timed rifle matches the shoots are broken up into classes and your times are base within that group only. Class 1: Big bore,box fed,iron sights;ie M1a AR-10 AK 47. Class 2: Small bore,box fed,iron sights;ie AR-15 Mini-14 M1 carbine and pistol calibers. Class 3:Top loaded,iron sights;SKS M1 Garand. Class 4: any of the above with other than iron sights. Class 5:Box fed full auto. Class 6: Belt fed full auto. Bolt gun run sometimes as a side match. No AP is the only ammo restriction that I've heard.

The race plate set up is run man against man. 6 plates,3 bowling pin shaped,3 appox 8" round. Can be shot with pistols, shotguns, 22 rifle or full auto in pistol calibers. First man down with his plates wins,loser pays a dollar. No slugs or 00.

The last course that runs is an "IDPA" style shoot. Pistols and pistol caliber full auto. A holster and ammo carriers are helpful but not required. 3 10 round mags or 4 speed loaders will cover the course if you do your part. Often a combo of plates and paper with catch thrown in,IE shooting on the move or carrying out your DUMMY pardner.

It is a family club so kids ARE welcome and shoot free during most if not all fun matches. They must have eyes and ears and stay with an adult.We have a snack bar on the grounds. A small mall with dinning avaible is 10 minutes away.

plateshooter
February 16, 2001, 07:11 AM
Hey 3 gun, just got a letter from Marc the range officer. Seems that all of the shoots will be fun shoots this year, and all shoots will have all three ranges going. Should be another great year. See ya on the 25th.

Hal
February 17, 2001, 07:57 AM
Sunday looks like a wash for me at this point, but Saturday's doable for me. "Grandma Winchester" (my wife) usually has to work Saturdays, so I hope you guys appreciate the brow beating I'll get for going shooting without her ;)

Maybe we can break it into Saturday at Pro Gun and Sunday at Tusco? The reason I suggest Pro is that they allow rifles all the time. Plus they are pretty handy to the freeway. 25 yards with a rifle is kinda bad, but better than nothing I guess.

hksigwalther
February 17, 2001, 11:08 AM
Is Pro Gun the shop that purchased the former auto dealership property next door and turned it in to an indoor range? I don't frequent Akron gun shops much.

These Tusco shoot sound very nice.

Engineer
February 17, 2001, 01:21 PM
A saturday shoot sounds good to me. Just lemme know.

Hope you guys made it out to Medina today. It was pretty crowded - at around 9:20-9:30, there was still a huge line of people waiting to get in and it was really packing up in the aisles. I met up with Plateshooter and did the rounds. Got out pretty much unscathed - got the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure that I had wanted to get along with a case for my Makarov and 200 9mm bullets. My only "unexpected" purchase was a CRKT Urban Shark - but wow, it's so much smoother than the usual $6 no-name knives that I pick up from time to time. I think I'm gonna get spoiled.

Hal
February 18, 2001, 06:58 AM
Ron V.,
Yep. Pro is right off the Second Street exit of Rt 8 going South. If you go past the 2nd St. exit heading South you can see them from the freeway right next to the car dealership. Their range is excellent, since it's almost brand new.

RE: The Medina show: The aisles are way too narrow there and that bldg. is getting too small to support the crowd ever since Berea closed. :(

The range at Tusco really looks impressive! I'm going to have to look into a membership there. I love the Dover/New Philly area. It seems like an island of normalcy. Really decent folks down there, almost like an entirely different State. I had to spend some time there last fall before the election, and bragged about how I was an hour's drive away from the nearest Gore-Lieberman yard sign ;) when I called into the shop.

Engineer,
Movin on up to CRKT ;). Next thing we know you'll be lookin at Benchmades or Microtech.

falconer
February 18, 2001, 11:19 AM
Ok,

Why don't we meet Saturday at noon at pro gun. The plate shoot starts around 10-11am sunday. We can meet down there at 10am. If anyone in the Akron area wants to drive down together let me know and we can pick a meeting place to leave from.

I managed to escape from medina with only spending $20. I'm rather proud of my self control.

ERRainman
February 18, 2001, 06:10 PM
ok guys, I'm jealous of the fact that I won't be up there visiting relatives until the week before Easter (in April). If anybody wants to throw together a day(or afternoon) that week, e-mail me at the address I listed with TFL and I'll get back with you. I'd love to do more than just go Walleye fishing for one day that week. I know my brother-in-law is an avid shooter and may be up for some sort of trip, so it'll probably be a couple of us.

ERRainman

1S1K
February 18, 2001, 09:26 PM
That is a weekend that I have my kids but i will still make it. I will probably bring them down. My wife has friends in Dover she my go and see. If you are going to try and get to geather on saterday let me know I will run down after work.

falconer
February 19, 2001, 06:14 PM
Ok, So who is going to Pro Gun and who is going to Tusco?

I'm going to both.

plateshooter
February 19, 2001, 06:57 PM
I'll be going to Tusco.

hksigwalther
February 19, 2001, 08:32 PM
I'll go to both.

Hal
February 19, 2001, 08:47 PM
Pro on Saturday.

Really want to do both though. Maybe next time.

1S1K
February 19, 2001, 09:28 PM
I will do both

Engineer
February 19, 2001, 10:01 PM
I'll probably be able to make it to Pro Gun - but somebody's gotta give me some directions from the Cleveland area - most likely I'll be coming down 77. BTW - any funky or odd rules with the range that we should know about? And how much does range time run?

Nukem
February 19, 2001, 10:01 PM
Take 77 south from the Akron area to 250 east. East on 250 to the Midvale exit. Left turn, cross over top of 250, right at first (only) stoplight on other side (in front of church). Go east about 2- 2 1/2 miles, club is on left side of road.

There are some pics of the club here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=183095&a=10571311

falconer
February 19, 2001, 10:25 PM
To get to Pro Gun, take route 8 (south from cleveland, north from akron) and get off at the Broad Blvd exit. Go west on broad. The second light should be 2nd street. Turn right onto second street. Keep going on 2nd street, shortly after you cross the intersection of Portage ST, the road will turn into a one way street. The one way street will curve right, then left until it becomes Front street. Pro Gun is a small brick building on the right, with Riverside Range right next door.

1S1K
February 19, 2001, 10:46 PM
Engineer I will be in Bedfort or Twinsburg if you want to get together for a ride. email me for my number.

Bill {Bedford} I know were I live.

1S1K
February 19, 2001, 10:50 PM
Falconer
what are the limits of the range?
My new 308 neads some work and this would be a good time.

rvb
February 19, 2001, 10:51 PM
but I don't always know my schedule that far ahead.

for who asked, Pro Gun's a little pricy at $10 per half, but it's a nice range. I've only been there once, though. You can use your own ammo.

As for the Sunday shoot, I may come along to watch. :)
Sounds like I may need both some more experience and equipment to get the most out of that day.

rvb

1S1K
February 19, 2001, 10:57 PM
rvb
If there is some equipment I can help with for the day let me know. I have some extra.

falconer
February 19, 2001, 11:21 PM
Rates for Pro Gun are 10/half hr. 15/hr (+5 for an additional person on that lane). You can shoot anything up to a .338 win mag

oh yea, only really "funky or odd" rule I can think of is they don't like people walking around with holstered weapons (staff only). Gotta keep em on the firing line.

hmm, anyone know if they allow full auto? I have a friend I might drag along and he'll probably wanna shoot his ak or mp5

Engineer
February 20, 2001, 12:32 AM
Hmmm, .338 Win Mag, eh? Maybe I might have to bring some of my rifles as well :)

Bill - Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know later what I decide on. It's pretty easy for me to run down Chester Ave and get on 77 and head down that way as well.

Well, I just put a deposit down on one of them newfangled HS2000's today ... (yeah Plateshooter, another polymer gun :) ) ... hope to get it on Friday and add yet another toy to my collection ... ugh - this is getting out of control!

Engineer
February 20, 2001, 01:20 AM
Nukem - where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you at the recent shows (though I heard you were working weekends lately). Hope to catch up with you soon.

Nukem
February 20, 2001, 06:39 AM
I've been working some, but staying away from the shows to save some money :) I have a new truck ordered.
I'll make the OGCA, then there's Knob Creek comming up.
You all really thinking of hitting the first plate shoot at Tusco?

TheBluesMan
February 20, 2001, 09:16 AM
I'm planning to be at Pro Gun on Saturday. They only have 5 or six lanes, so we may have to pair up on the lanes. That could also help keep the cost down. (Extra person per lane is only $5 extra, I think.

If anyone knows the folks who run the place and would like to call, we should probably ask them if they will open up early for us, or reserve the entire range for an hour or two... (If there's enough of us on Saturday.)

Dikyllis
February 20, 2001, 02:06 PM
Dayton Ohio here. Nail a date down and I'd like to give it a try. As long as not first weekend in April......that's KNOBCREEK!!!!

rvb
February 20, 2001, 11:08 PM
I appreciate that offer, man. But, really, if I can make it, I'm happy watching and making a learning experience out of it.

Basically, I need everything but the part that goes "Bang!" :D Being as new to the game as I am, all I have is my B92 and the equipment that came with it (2 Klinton mags). From the description of the outdoor shoot, I'd need everything from a holster, to ammo carrier, to extra mags, and a lot more experience. :)

If I can get by with taking my time as well as reloading the 10-rounders as I go, then I guess a RH holster would be all I'd need to borrow. But not knowing the rules of the event, I don't know if that would be possible or if I'd just hold everyone else up...

I may take part in the plate shoot, though, that sounds cool.

thanks,
rvb

Engineer
February 20, 2001, 11:50 PM
rvb,

Don't worry about being a begineer. The last Tusco shoot that I went to was my first ever shoot. I'm used to just standing there and punching holes through paper. The guys running the event are really great guys - just let them know you are a first timer and they will basically walk you through the course and tell you want to do. You'll have lots of fun and I think between all of us there will be plenty of equipment if you need anything. The only thing I can think of is you will need to get at least two more mags (as I believe you need a min of three for the pistol course) - but you really don't need an ammo carrier - I just had my mags in this pullover pocket and grabbed them as I went from station to station.

The rifle course is another story - I had my clock cleaned by Plateshooter and Nukem ... but heck, I still had fun.

falconer
February 21, 2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Gun
Me
Dave
Engineer
1S1K
rvb
RAE
hksigwalther

Tusco
Me (+2 possibles)
hksigwalther
1s1k
plateshooter
3gun
rvb?
nukem?

If I can find their business card, I'll call Pro Gun and see if we can reserve a couple lanes for the 24th. If they allow reserves we should be set, since this is a month in advance.

In case I can't find it, can someone stop in or call em and ask?

Nukem
February 21, 2001, 06:35 PM
Falconer, I'll be at Tusco. I'm a member too.

As a side note for Ohio shooters:
If you want to shoot CMP, Youngstown Rifle and Pistol club holds a monthly match, all year. You can shoot the Club Garands with issue ammo, or your own Service Rifle. M1, M1A, AR, ect. 200yrd course with reduced targets for 300 and 600 yrd.
Next match March 11
Call: Mike Policy 330-534-5697
Just off of Ohio Turnpike and Rt.18 (Mahoning ave)
You need a shooting mat (or piece of carpet) Sling and a spotting scope helps. 2 mags for a detachable mag service rifle.
They also are an IDPA club and shoot 1st Sunday of the month, all year also. Outdoors if weather permits.

1S1K
February 21, 2001, 10:08 PM
Nukem

Do you have any info on the plate shoot? How it's run? Can we shoot more then one event?

Thanks Bill

Nukem
February 22, 2001, 06:37 AM
The plate shoot is just a "fun" shoot, not like the action rifle match they have there. They will have four shooting stations set up (2 pair)and about 80yrds out there will be some odd # of 8X10" or 10X10" steel plates usually around 13 each plus some sort of "stop" target for each shooter. The plates are two colors mixed, you and whoever you're shooting against decide what color each will take in advance. When the line is ready the RO blows a whistle, first one to down all targets and the clock stopper wins. It's a speed thing. There are two schools of thought on winning, use an AR where recoil is light and you keep your sight picture and a fast shot to shot (downside, light bullets on heavy steel plates) or a 30 cal where a hit anywhere usually knocks the plates over.
My secret weapon this spring will be a 7.62X39 AR15 :)

The pistol course can be about anything, the ROs change it every shoot ;)

Eye protection is a must, due to the chance of back spatter, especially on the pistol range.

1S1K
February 22, 2001, 06:45 PM
Now this sounds like fun. I may have a guy that I hunt with come along.

hksigwalther
February 22, 2001, 09:16 PM
Do they have any type of .22lr shoots?

1S1K
February 22, 2001, 10:26 PM
Dose any one have a cost for Tusco?

plateshooter
February 22, 2001, 10:41 PM
It's a buck a run, or 5 bucks for all day per range.
For 20 bucks, you can shoot all ranges, all day, and have a hot lunch too. Resturant is right behind the firing line.
I don't know of any other place on the planet that is more fun, or less expensive.

1S1K
February 22, 2001, 10:54 PM
Thanks this sounds to good to be true.

falconer
February 22, 2001, 11:07 PM
I think I need to join Tusco. Sounds/looks like an excellent place.

falconer
February 23, 2001, 03:44 PM
I can't seem to find pro gun's business card anywhere. Could someone in Akron look up their number and give them a call about reserving a couple lanes on the 24th?

Hal
February 23, 2001, 05:41 PM
Well, since I can almost lean out the window and shout at 'em ;)
I'll try to get by there tomorrow (Saturday) and ask. If anyone's interested in meeting me there so I don't have to go it alone, I'll stand you to some range time down the road at Hunters Lodge where I'm a member.

falconer
February 23, 2001, 06:35 PM
RAE,

If you are going down to the Hunter's Lodge, be sure to tell Stoney that Tom Eberz said hi. He may or may not remember my name, if he doesn't, remind him I'm one of Gene's students.

Hal
February 23, 2001, 07:02 PM
falconer,
I usually do go there every Saturday, so I'll tell him.

1S1K
February 23, 2001, 10:32 PM
RAE

What is the hunters lodge?

Bill

falconer
February 23, 2001, 10:44 PM
The Hunter's Lodge is a small gunshop in Tallmadge, right off of the circle. It used to be called Russo's back in the day. My dad used to take me there years ago when I was a kid.

1S1K
February 23, 2001, 11:11 PM
Falconer are you still thetr

falconer
February 24, 2001, 04:03 AM
am I still what?

Hal
February 24, 2001, 04:34 AM
Bill,
Like falconer says, Hunter's lodge is a gun store/range in Tallmadge, just off the circle. Like I said, I usually go there every Saturday, and pretty much have a standing offer to anybody to tag along. As a memeber, I can have a guest shoot for $5.00 for unlimited range time. It's the main reason I have my membership there instead of at Pro Gun.

1S1K
February 24, 2001, 10:19 AM
Falconer

There. It was late. My day started at 4am.

Rae

Is the hunters lodge open on sundays.

We may take a ride to day just to check it out and give us somthing to do.

Hal
February 24, 2001, 02:04 PM
Ok, here's the poop.

Pro Gun has a deal on Tuesdays only where they will rent the enitre range (7 lanes) for $50.00 an hour, for as many people as you want between the hours of 9 AM and 9 PM. This is a good deal if there's enough people going, but the Tuesday part is kinda bad. I can probably make it there just about any Tuesday after 6:00 PM.

Hunter's Lodge in Tallmadge. I asked Stoney (he says to say Hi to you Tom, said you're good for 4K worth of guns :) ) Hunters just needs some advance notice as to the number of people, and they will gladly reserve 3 lanes for us on Saturday. I didn't get any price, but it shouldn't be too bad. Their regular fees are $6. a half hour.

Got to meet Bill at Hunter's, and he caught me red handed making the "deal of a lifetime ;). Picked up a Rossi 12 ga Coach Gun, never fired, for $300.00.

falconer
February 24, 2001, 02:21 PM
Well, I could make it Tuesday anytime, but I think Saturday is best for everyone, so lets just meet at the Hunter's lodge. Its just down the road from Pro Gun anyway. Only real change is we can't shoot centerfire rifles if I'm not mistaken, that and its only 50ft instead of 75 at pro gun.

I'm not so sure about the $4k worth of guns :) I am a poor college student these days. That said, I'm WAY overdue for a new toy, its been since October!!!!!!!

Hey, is anyone up for some food afterwords. Plenty of restaurants nearby, or we could go back to my place for a cookout or something, maybe deep fry a turkey.

1S1K
February 24, 2001, 06:20 PM
RAE

It was nice to meet you to day. That was ine fine shotgun. I woulkd like to try it at Grand River Sporting Clays. That would be a challenge.

I vote for the Hunter lodge. Food is a good idea any time.

Engineer
February 24, 2001, 11:00 PM
Hey guys!

Sorry for disappearing for awhile ... dang MRI conference has been keeping me off the forums. That Tuesday deal sounds pretty good - though I sould probably stay at work for awhile to make myself seem credible. That and many hours of shooting would not be good for my ammo supply and budget.

Hunter's Lodge is also good for me - I think both are about 45 minutes to an hour away from me.

Hal
February 25, 2001, 07:37 AM
Let me know which place and I make the arrangements on Saturday. I'm open pretty much to either, but Saturday the 24th would be a bit easier for me to do. I'm going to be off line for a day or two, so I won't get back to this thread until maybe Tuesday.

Hunters has a 2000 fps/2000 ftlb limit, meaning you can shoot anything as long as its under either limit. Most centerfire rifles are out, but pistol calibers in a rifle are Ok. I shoot my Trappers in .44mag and .45LC there a lot.
The range isn't a nice as Pro, so bring along some padding like an old towel or something since the stands are bare plastic.

They allow:
Shotguns.
The above mentioned center fires in a long arm.
Any pistol/handgun, unless it's one that violates the 2/2 rule like a .444marlin contender.
Any ammo, lead or FMJ and you are allowed to furnish your own.

Bill,
Sporting Clays ROCK! I've only done it once, but I'd love to give it another go. let me know a time/date and place.

Tom,
Food is a good thing! I enjoy MORE than my share of the stuff ;) LOL!

falconer
February 25, 2001, 10:34 AM
RAE, go ahead and reserve us some lanes at Hunters Lodge for the 24th.

1S1K
February 25, 2001, 10:43 PM
RAE, have you been out to Grand Vally Ranch?
My wife and I like going out there for there walk in the woods sporting clays. We like to go on there slow days and shoot 25 stands. Man you can burn up a lot of ammo and they will let you re-shoot some stands.

We should try to get a group to go out there when every one gets out of school.

Layter

Bill

Hal
February 27, 2001, 04:55 PM
Hunter's:
falconer
Dave
Engineer
1S1K
rvb
hksigwalther
me

Ok. Looks like 7 of us at Hunter's on Saturday. I'll make a reservation for at least 3 lanes, and see what the exact rates are and post 'em.

Bill,
I've never been to Grand, but it sounds good to me. If anyone else wants to go, we can probably put something together.

Ray HP
March 1, 2001, 08:47 PM
RAE

Put me on your list for Hunters Lodge. I will mark it on the calendar. What time?

Ray HP

falconer
March 1, 2001, 09:04 PM
Ray,

I think we planned on meeting at noon.

Hal
March 1, 2001, 10:05 PM
Ray,
Ok. Makes 8 of us so far.

Noon it is. How long should I reserve the lanes for? Noon to what? 2?3?

falconer
March 1, 2001, 10:23 PM
just talked to dave on icq and we think two hours should be sufficient.

rvb
March 1, 2001, 11:14 PM
I'm looking forward to it :)

rvb

LilJoe
March 2, 2001, 04:52 PM
Best remember how fast time flies when your having fun! We always end up at the range longer than we had planned!

Hal
March 3, 2001, 02:09 PM
Ok, I put in a reservation at Hunter's Lodge for 4 lanes and 8 people. They're going to get back to me with a price. As of right now, we may or may not get any break on price due to the time. 12 to 2 can be the busiest time of the day. I asked Jim from Hunter's to check about an alternate time of say 3 to 5 for any break on the price. Again, he's going to get back to me, but maybe not until next Saturday. I'll try to follow up more this week as time allows.

hksigwalther
March 4, 2001, 09:36 PM
What is everyone bringing? (So I don't bring the same stuff. I'll see if I can bring some stuff that nobody else is bringing.)

1S1K
March 4, 2001, 09:40 PM
I will have a class 3 MKII,old rem 22 and my 45 ACP. Better than visa never leave home with out it!

hksigwalther
March 4, 2001, 09:46 PM
:...class 3 Mark II..."

Well, definitely don't have one of those.

1S1K
March 4, 2001, 09:52 PM
This is the same as Stllone Used in the professional. The most fun gun I own or close to it.

rvb
March 4, 2001, 09:57 PM
I'll bring everything I have... a Beretta 92G Elite.

That's it.
That's all I have.

Nowhere to go but up with a collection that size, now is there?! :)

rvb

LilJoe
March 4, 2001, 10:00 PM
You might need to add a couple of people to the outing. The wife and I think it might sound interesting. Plus a reason to shoot elsewhere.

1S1K
March 4, 2001, 10:04 PM
Liljoe check your email

Thanks
Bill

LilJoe
March 4, 2001, 10:10 PM
Forgot to check that today! Thanks! LOL

falconer
March 4, 2001, 10:12 PM
I'll probably wait till after the shoot to send my .45 into TFL's resident gunsmith for tuning. So I'll be bringing the p90, maybe a p89, ruger single six in 22wmr, my mossy 590 and maybe a ruger blackhawk in .41 mag.

LilJoe
March 4, 2001, 10:17 PM
What do they let you shoot? We don't have much, just got into the sport.

1S1K
March 4, 2001, 10:20 PM
Liljoe they have a hand gun and shot gun olny rule.
2000 fps and 2000ft pounds.

LilJoe
March 4, 2001, 10:29 PM
The wife needs to work with the 12 guage.. Might get rid of her flintching problem! LOL We'll bring a P944 and an eastfield 12.

Engineer
March 5, 2001, 01:28 AM
Is everybody bringing their Rugers? I guess I should bring my P95 and PC9 then :). I'll probably bring a .22 to play with (either 22/45 or Buckmark) and my new HS2000. Most of my other guns are typical "mainstream" stuff - Glocks, SIGs, CZ, Kel-Tec, etc...

hksigwalther
March 5, 2001, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I got a bunch of the regular stuff too. So, I think I'll bring a Mauser M2, Mini Firestorm, Astra A-75, maybe a .44mag if I remember to get ammo. How 'bout a P7? Anyone bringing one?

TheBluesMan
March 5, 2001, 10:06 PM
Well, it looks like I'll have to leave my rifles at home...

I'll be bringing a Sig P228 and a Ruger GP-100 for sure. Maybe a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag too.

Hal
March 6, 2001, 06:24 AM
CZ75b
Hi Power Practical
Ciener .22 conversion, for anyone with a full size 1911 that wants to try it out.
Ruger .22/45.
Smith Model 29 4" .44mag.
Davies .22 Derringer ;)

1S1K
March 6, 2001, 05:30 PM
RAE

Ciener makes some nice stuff. I have a few things from him and they all work well.

I want to try your conversion.

hksigwalther
March 6, 2001, 07:24 PM
Okay, if someone brings the SRH and another brings a 29 I'll bring the DEP.

TheBluesMan
March 6, 2001, 09:38 PM
Anyone have a Makarov or a Charles Daly .45?

I've been dyin' to try one of them out. I'll buy the ammo... For both of us. :)

falconer
March 6, 2001, 09:42 PM
quick question. will anyone be bringing a camera (or digital camera)? I think I'm just gonna bring a camera but get a photo CD when I get the film developed. That way I still have a nice hardcopy of the picture and a digital copy to put on the web.

rvb
March 6, 2001, 10:50 PM
I don't have a digital camera, but I do have a scanner for regular stills...

rvb

Engineer
March 6, 2001, 10:56 PM
TheBluesMan and falconer,

I have a digital camera and a Mak (though I'll probably have to look around for some ammo) - I'll be sure to bring them.

Hal
March 7, 2001, 08:42 PM
Bill,
You're more n welcome to try the Ciener.

falconer,
I'll bring along a digital camera also.

Dave,
Yeah, I'd love to try a Chuck myself. I looked at a stainless one at the Summit show last week, and they have come a loooooooong way since last year. That's a heck of a lot of gun for under $400.00.

falconer
March 7, 2001, 10:46 PM
under 400? you shouldn't have said that. Now I gotta look at em. Since I am sending my .45 away for work, I will need a replacement and be damned if my incometax return didn't come in. I think I finally found justification for getting a 1911.

Hal
March 9, 2001, 04:24 AM
falconer,
I have a hard and fast rule concerning the purchase/lust/want/drool over of a 1911 or any other gun for that matter. I have been using it all my life and it works well for me. I simply refuse to purchase/lust/want/drool over a 1911, or any other gun for that matter, on a day of the week that DOES NOT contain the letter "A". ;)
'nuff justification for me.

Think my wife will buy the excuse? ;)

falconer
March 9, 2001, 08:30 AM
lol

Just remember, tis easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

1S1K
March 9, 2001, 04:16 PM
RAE

would you email me {longst4@core.com}
I want to go to Hunters on Saterday.

Thanks
Bill

Hal
March 10, 2001, 01:37 PM
I just got back from Hunter's Lodge and we're all set for the 24th. Here's the details:

We have 3 lanes reserved for 2:00PM to 4:00PM for six shooters. The cost for each shooter is $7.00 for the first 1/2 hour, an $6.00 for each additional 1/2 hour. Jim said we could probably get $1.00 per 1/2 hour knocked off of that price.

In addition to the 3 lanes, we have a 4th lane semi-reserved for the other two additional shooters. The semi-reservation is this: As a member, I can have a guest shoot in my lane for a flat charge of $5.00. I'll take the 4th lane, and whoever wishes to shoot in that lane can get a break on the price. There is a catch though. If they get busy, we have to give up the 4th lane.

Anyone else that wishes to attend is welcome, but sine the arrangements were made for only the original 8 people mentioned earlier in the thread, I can't gurantee a place to shoot, but we can try to work out some sort of arrangement. Last min things can happen, and someone may not be able to make it.

I'll post the address and directions, as well as a brief overview of the rules and regs at Hunters in another thread since this one is getting pretty long.

Bill,
Check your mail. Man, I really feel awful about not checking this thread sooner.

Engineer
March 10, 2001, 04:34 PM
Bill,

Thanks for doing the legwork to get this thing set up - it sounds like it's going to be a pretty good time. Remember folks - Medina show on the 17th (last chance to buy new toys or stock up on ammo before the shoots :) ).

Ed

falconer
March 10, 2001, 05:17 PM
I'm going to Medina on the 18th, going to the Ohio gun collectors show at the IX center on the 17th. Anyone else going at those times?

1S1K
March 10, 2001, 05:51 PM
Falconer

I am going on the 17th. I wiil be bringing my father out law and my shooting partner.

There is a good place to eat breakfast just around the corner. Sophie's $1.99 breakfest. Let me know if you want to meet.

Bill

falconer
March 10, 2001, 06:02 PM
Bill,

I'm not sure yet what time I'm going up, I have plans for later that evening, so it'll probably be early in the day. I'll have my Molon Labe hat on, if you see me say hello.

hksigwalther
March 10, 2001, 08:03 PM
I'd be happy to take up only one hour of the reserved times to allow others to shoot.

Gotta remember to pick up .44mag at Medina.

1S1K
March 10, 2001, 11:10 PM
Falconer,

I will have my old black RUGER jack on.

Bill

LilJoe
March 11, 2001, 12:10 AM
Let us know about a next gathering and I'll see what I can get a whole room, equals about 8 lanes, for. He uses the room for training and others that request it for larger groups. And we could get it for all day (12-6), then order pizza. Only down side is only handguns or .22 rifles. Or when the weather breaks around here we could just open up one of the pastures around here and shoot just about everything!

Marci and Joe

Hal
March 11, 2001, 07:05 AM
LilJoe,
Sounds great. Don't count out the 24th though. You're more than welcome to come. There's always something we can work out to get everyone some range time. The reservations were set for 8 due to the timing, I needed a definate count to request the lanes. That doesn't preclude the possibility of a whole messa folks showing up. These things have a way of working out fine. If we get more people interested, we can always extend the times, but not the reservations or the prices. That's the main reason I posted the going rates and minimized the $1. knock off. The reserved lanes are from 2 to 4, but it's pretty much a crap shoot. I've seen times the range was deserted from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM, and I was the only one there. Tom(falconer) can vouche for Stoney (the guy he and I know that works there), there's nothing more he'd love than a bunch of Molson Lobsterists (Molon Labe) wandering around and BS'ing.

The ONLY thing that's going to be in short supply is the Shiner Bock! Somehow I gotta figure a way to divide 3,,maybe empty,,maybe full, bottles between the folks at Hunter's. LOL! 3 of em are going to Tusco the next day and I'm not, so SOMEONE ELSE get's the headache of deciding who goes home Shinered and who doesn't. One thing's certain though, falconer, the guy that's throwing this get together, can have the cardboard 6 pack case ;) I know, small consolation Tom, but ya never know, someone may ask about it and you can explain the whole TFL thing to em.

Cougar
March 11, 2001, 07:20 AM
RAE, sorry it took so long for me to get on to L&L forum to find out about Ohio gathering.

Isn't Medina the weekend of the 24th and not next weekend (17-18)? I'll be at OGCA next weekend, and maybe Medina the next (My bro-in-law is looking for a new Springfield 'Loaded' M-1A). We prefer the Akron show to Medina since the aisles are a little wider, even though the parking is a problem.... We were there (Akron) last weekend and, honestly, I can't believe the way people were parking! BTW, I was wearing my new TFL/Molon Labe shirt at the Akron show and only had one 'hit'. Where were the rest of you guys?

Now, about these shoots....
OK, let's see if I have everything down correctly....

Saturday, March 24th at Hunter's Lodge in Tallmage. Three lanes reserved, noon to 2pm. Possible overflow fourth lane.

Sunday March 25th at Tusco. Shooting is from 10-4 I have the direstions and other info from a previous post.

I don't know if I can make the Saturday shoot since I normally have to work on Saturdays...but maybe I can get a vacation day. We'll see.
Sunday might be possible for both me and the Bro-in-law since the wimmin-folk have a baby shower to go to that day. If he finds his new Springfield M-1A, I get his hand-me-down M-1A :D . I'd love to wring it out!

Even if I can't hook up with you guys that weekend, have fun!

Cougar

LilJoe
March 11, 2001, 09:24 AM
We have not ruled out Hunters Lodge! Even if we couldn't get some4 range time we would still like to go up and meet some of the others from the board. I think it has something to do with the saying of the more the merrier! We are even planing to check out Tuscos on th 25th. Have to see what all the wife enjoys. She has taken up this new hobby and wants to see all there is. As she says I may not be able to hit the bullseye everytime or even everyother time its still fun. Plus need to go to a few outdoor ranges so I can get an idea on how to set up out back to have a blast shooting. Maybe the city neighbors will want to move back out of the country? LOL So I'm sure you'll see us around. But I figured the next time we want to get a gathering going lets make the ranges compete for us! :-)

hksigwalther
March 11, 2001, 09:51 AM
Cougar,

Medina and OGCA fall on the same weekend (17/18). Niles is that week after (24/25).

falconer
March 11, 2001, 10:36 AM
RAE,

After last night, I don't think I'll be wanting to drink for a while. It would appear that Captain Morgan isn't quite as good of a friend (old family friend at that) as I thought he was, we had a BIG argument.

One thing, we may have to bribe ole Stoney with some Shiner if we have too many people show up.

LilJoe
March 11, 2001, 10:45 AM
Falc, who won the arguement?? LOL

falconer
March 11, 2001, 10:52 AM
I fought the Captain, and the Captain won. 5 times

TheBluesMan
March 12, 2001, 12:49 PM
Cougar,

Re-read RAE's first post on this page. Here's the scoop for Saturday the 24th:
We have 3 lanes reserved for 2:00PM to 4:00PM for six shooters. The cost for each shooter is $7.00 for the first 1/2 hour, an $6.00 for each additional 1/2 hour. Jim said we could probably get $1.00 per 1/2 hour knocked off of that price.

In addition to those three lanes, RAE has a fourth lane reserved for himself that he's willing to share. We may have to give up this lane if the place is busy, though.

Also previously stated, and in need of reinforcement, IMO:
Anyone else that wishes to attend is welcome, but since the arrangements were made for only the original 8 people mentioned earlier in the thread, I can't guarantee a place to shoot, but we can try to work out some sort of arrangement.

I take this to mean that TFLers will get preference on range time, but since we're such a giving bunch, we'll probably be able to work in any bring-alongs. :)

Sounds like a good plan to me.