PDA

View Full Version : Llama .380 Feedback

SA Scott
February 5, 2001, 11:32 AM
Greetings:

I'm trying to help a friend find a defensive pistol. HIS requirements: Semi-automatic, .380 or larger, light weight, comfortable in his small hands, and available under $200.

I had all but settled him on an East German Makarov, when he saw a Llama .380. Appearance is that of a miniaturized/bastardized 1911, including grip safety. Unique to this pistol is the rib sight assembly. I could not determine a model or name designation.

Any observations as to quality, durability, and reliability are much appreciated. I'm concerned that this may be too obscure a purchase for a relative novice, particularly in terms of parts and service. On the other hand, it was very comfortable for him, which might increase confidence.

Thanks,

SA Scott

James K
February 5, 2001, 06:59 PM
Llama pistols do not have a good reputation for reliability, though most are OK for limited shooting. The parts tend to be soft and there is a lot of internal hand fitting and filing, which makes most parts replacement a gunsmith job. My standard test for a defense pistol is a minimum of 200 consecutive rounds with the carry ammo without a failure. If it will pass that test, it might be OK. Of the two, I would take the Makarov.

Jim

SA Scott
February 6, 2001, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Jim.

I agree. I'm trying to steer him toward a more substantial 9mm (beretta Cougar, etc). I have a feeling, however, that he'll wind up with a Makarov or clone.

SA Scott

Politically Incorrect
February 10, 2001, 10:58 AM
I bought one of these and on occasion, it jams on the third round which I believe is probably a magazine related problem than firearm itself. I wouldn't know for sure until I pick up another magazine.