PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 or Savage in 223 ?

rebs
March 25, 2014, 04:35 PM
For target shooting and varmint hunting, which is the preferred model in Remington 700 and Savage ?
Which is the most accurate right out of the box ? I will be reloading my own ammo.

reynolds357
March 25, 2014, 04:40 PM
Your most accurate Savage is their Bench Rest or F class rifles. The most accurate 700's are custom shop.

eldermike
March 25, 2014, 05:01 PM
If you are willing to throw out the stock and trigger the 700 is the way to go. That is assuming you are looking at a 700 with the thermoplastic stock. But if you intend to leave them stock I would pick the Savage and just not look at it much. Thats my opinion.

Longshot4
March 25, 2014, 06:03 PM
I have a old Rem. 700 Varmint special in 222 that is capable to give 1/4" @ 100 Yds. With handloads. Stock trigger, Bedded and floated. I like the short action Remington 700 with a little tuning is my choice. The pro's on line will give you the details. Although I have read some good things about some Savage's have good triggers. The Savage's are with out a doubt UGLY.

9x19
March 25, 2014, 07:35 PM
Haven't owned a Savage .223, but it's hard to imagine I'd be any more pleased than I am with my Remington 700 SPS (16.5" heavy barrel and Hogue stock). I have a Vortex 3x-9x 40mm on top and it has proven to be a great scope.

If I were shopping today, I might also look at Mossberg's MVP.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/Rem700SPSTvdbllc_zpscc29371f.jpg

4runnerman
March 25, 2014, 08:01 PM
The looks is secondary to me. Accuracy is the name of the game. The Remmy 700 being basement level depending on what model. ( so is the Axis ). I would and have picked the Savage way before the Remmy. A $99.00 stock and you have 10 times the rifle the Remmy could ever be.

taylorce1
March 25, 2014, 08:18 PM
6 of one, half dozen the other. I've had excellent luck with both brands of rifle and haven't found one to be more inherently accurate than the other. I'd handle a few and buy the one you like best. I doubt you'll be disappointed in either.

Txhillbilly
March 25, 2014, 08:56 PM
The Remington Mil Spec 5R or the Savage 12 will not disappoint you in accuracy.

I'm a fan of Savage's,but then Remington doesn't make LH rifles in the higher grades.

EchoM70
March 25, 2014, 10:08 PM
I've got both a Savage 12 VT IN .223 and a Rem 700 Varmint in .223.

The Remington has a new stock and trigger, I'm extremely pleased with it.

The Savage I've left stock, I'm extremely pleased with it.

They're both great rifles, just keep in mind with the Remington some assembly is required. They'll both shoot around 1/2 Moa with 50gr vmax ammo. Also keep in mind the Rem Varmint is a 1/12 twist while the Savage is 1/9. Rem tactical offerings are also 1/9, but not the varmint.

boltomatic
March 25, 2014, 10:11 PM
Savage's are known for being out of the box accurate. I'm not sure exactly how they compare to the Remington, but I have several friends with entry level savages (.22, .223, and .308) and they are all very satisfied.

kilotanker22
March 25, 2014, 10:18 PM
For the best no nonsense shooter I would buy the savage but I have never had a remington that would not shoot well it's just that the Remington's take a lil tlc to get there.

That being said the model 700 is my second favorite action. And savage is my third right next to. You guessed it model 70

rebs
March 26, 2014, 06:22 AM
Thank you for the replies. I am leaning towards the new Savage Axis II with their accu trigger. I may take a look at the Mossberg MVP but I don't know anything about them at all, does anyone have any first hand experience with them ?

kilotanker22
March 26, 2014, 12:57 PM
the savage axis rifles are some darn good shooters. probably the best shooting budget guns out there. i dont know anything about the mossberg guns but here is a pic of my savage axis 22-250 at 200 yards with nosler factory ammo

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94619&d=1394660929

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 26, 2014, 08:22 PM
Which is the most accurate right out of the box ? depends on who's scope and its power you mount. Since you said you plan on reloading. You actually control either rifles over all accuracy.

Devdev08
March 26, 2014, 09:29 PM
I recently naught the savage axis ii xp in a .270 win. Out of the box it looked nice and seems like it will be a good shooter. I'm waiting for the snow to melt so I can get to the range and do some testing if it's not to late I'll add some pictures later of the accuracy but be warned I'm not the best sharpshooter.

PHEASANTPETE
March 27, 2014, 04:29 AM
Dicks offers some awesome sales on heavy barrel Remington 700's and Savage 11's. They can both be had under $500 on sale and the Savage has an Accu-trigger. I have both and prefer the Savage. I believe they are the better company now. Remington is part of an investment banking conglomerate that threw the gun industry under the bus after the CT tradgedy.

Do not count on knowledgeable help at Dick's as they have few gun nuts working for them. Some employees do try very hard though. I have had mostly good experience in the stores. Their rebates are questionable as well. I am still waiting 3 months now on a gun I bought near Christmas. Called them a month ago and got terrible customer service and said I had to wait longer before checking on my rebate. I asked how long and the not so pleasant woman said after 8 weeks which it was. So I told her it was and asked when she would know. She was not helpful and I may never see a rebate of $50 dollars.

So my advice stay away from the rebates. Someones relative may be enjoying my rebate. Who knows what is going on there. I know some store managers complain about Dick's corperate customer service. They were helpful but were full aware of corporate short comings.

rebs
March 30, 2014, 04:20 AM
Update, I have looked at the Mossberg MVP and found the bolt to be very loose when pulled back and also the magazine is very loose and rattles around.
While I was in the gun shop the guy showed me a Savage 111 trophy hunter XP that comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope and accu trigger for under 500.00. I think it was a very nice rifle, it felt good and came up to my shoulder well and pointed well. It just seemed to fit me well. I am seriously considering it.

green_MTman
March 30, 2014, 05:45 AM
although i live in Vermont (hence green_MTman because Vermont is the green mountain state). i grew up near westfield massachusetts and have never bought a non savage rifle.although have rebarreled one of them with a 26" cut rifled barrel.i would recomend savage unless your going to drop thousands on a rifle.(i still want a 30-378 wby someday).

there great guns for the money.i dont know much about the competition being that i have never used them but i do love savage and western,mass a lot.

they have a great website savagearms.com and click browse models.i will look at there website and recomend a gun for you.

green_MTman
March 30, 2014, 05:57 AM
for varmint the 12FV is $700 available in .223 or 22-250 and has a plain stock.
the 12BVSS has a laminated wood stock and stainless barrel.same calibers but better looking.

there match stuff is available in many 1000 yd match calibers but these guns go for thousands.look up the website. the 12FV is a cheap but very very accurate tack driver

green_MTman
March 30, 2014, 06:58 AM
the least expensive of the savage match rifles was the 12 long range precision.
.243 .260 and 6.5 creedmore

$1200

McShooty
March 31, 2014, 12:50 PM
Which is more accurate out of the box? Shoot twenty, 5-shot groups with appropriate ammo and compare. With forum posts you will see statements to the effect "Get Rifle A; It is way more accurate than rifle B!" Not data will be given to support the claim.

Suggestion: The Remington VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) is still in the Remington 700 lineup. It has a heavy barrel and, as indicated, a laminated stock. I have one in .308. For example, using a handload of 39.8 gr IMR 3031 pushing a Sierra 168-gr match bullet, I shot five consecutive, 5-shot groups averaging 0.65" at 100 yards. One chambered for .223 should do somewhat better.

4runnerman
March 31, 2014, 01:01 PM
Mc Shooty-- Savage FVSS 223-25.5 gn Varget,CCI BR-4 Primer 60 gn Hornady. Always under .5 no matter how many groups I shoot. Year after Year after Year

McShooty
April 1, 2014, 03:41 PM
Point taken, 4runnerman. Like to see a face off between a Savage and a Rem in .223.

4runnerman
April 4, 2014, 07:35 AM
Point taken, 4runnerman. Like to see a face off between a Savage and a Rem in .223

Stock for stock- The remmy would die fast. Remmy would win the looks category hands down,but looks don't mean squat when the targets are layed on the table:D

Peter M. Eick
April 4, 2014, 12:02 PM
I used to buy Remington's but after one Savage (22/250 BVSS) I switched over quickly. The bolt feel is smoother, the trigger is great out of the box, the bore is smoother and collects less fouling. All in all it was an easy change over.

I suggest you go to a store and just run the bolt on both. Dry fire it once or twice (if they let you). I think you will find it pretty obvious to go with Savage.

243winxb
April 4, 2014, 06:58 PM
The Remington bolt face is pock marked from defective 9 1/2 primers. Pressure was not a factor. Remington has"Three Rings of Steel. Gas during a case head seperation is contained better than a Savage. The extractor can be blow out, releasing gas like in this thread. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465482 http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/Firearms%20%20and%20%20Reloading/th_3RingsOfSteel.jpg (http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe1944usa/media/Firearms%20%20and%20%20Reloading/3RingsOfSteel.jpg.html)

boltomatic
April 9, 2014, 08:55 PM
Get whichever one you like more, both are bolt actions made by reputable manufacturers and known for their accuracy. You will probably get more bang for your buck with Savage.

Longshot4
April 11, 2014, 09:28 AM
I also am considering a new Varmint Rifle. I have no question on Mfg. Remington has the experience I want. I can count on finding information or custom parts for them any where. I have been shooting a stock 700 Varmint Special in 222 for over 30 years. I learned what accuracy was with that rifle. 1/4 5 shot groups have been common over the years with tuned hand loads. I have floated the barrel and did a simple glass bedding job on it since I have had it. There is nothing wrong with the stock trigger un like many other Mfg. The only thing I can think of that may or may not be a problem is trying to make up my mind on witch 700 to choose. They have them for a lot of applications. Also Remington has less expensive model bolt actions but that' not what I am looking for. I want a 700. I figure my 222 Rem. is limited to about 300 Yds. A 308 is a bit heavy for Varmint so perhaps a 243 or 7mm-08 is the way to go.

rebs
April 13, 2014, 01:16 PM
The lgs got in a savage 111 trophy hunter xp in 223 with a Nikon 3-9 scope for 469.99 and the guy said the only thing he would change is buying a Boyd stock for it. So far that is looking like a great deal. For under 600.00 I get the rifle, a Nikon scope and a Boyd stock. How does that sound to you guys ?

BusGunner007
April 20, 2014, 04:10 PM
I didn't buy a Savage 110 POLICE Tactical in .308, and waited TWO YEARS before I ended up with a RIFLE...all because I was soliciting opinions from 'shooters'. :rolleyes:
Shoulda just bought the damn thing and started shooting!

I ended up with a 1989 Remington 700 / BDL-AS in 7mm Rem.Mag. :D
FINALLY got myself a rifle and loved it!

Took a lot of crap for my choice from the guys whom I sought advice from...because I didn't take their advice~!

Get going.
Change your mind later, if you need to.
Just. Get. Shooting! ;)

jaysouth
April 20, 2014, 08:04 PM
Look at the Savage 10 PC (precision carbine). It has a 20" threaded barrel, accustock and accutrigger. At just under $700, there is nothing left to buy but a bipod and decent glass.

I put a Sheperd 4-12 scope and Caldwell bipod on mine. i own any varmit under 300 yards with factory ammo. With decent reloads, mine is a 1/2 MOA shooter. I just wish it had a hinged floorplate. I have not had any problem with the detachable box magazine, but it looks cheap and they are expensive to replace.

Colorado Redneck
April 20, 2014, 09:40 PM
I have purchased 3 Remington rifles new in the box over 30 years. All of them were less than stellar. The 700SPS with Berger Bullets was a tack driver---after 12 or so fouling shots. It required a trigger replacement because the lawyered up trigger around 2011 was trash.

The one Savage in my safe is a great rifle. Shoots lights out. Accutrigger is wonderful.