PDA

View Full Version : Virginia TFL Gathering, Sat, 01-27-01

George Hill
January 20, 2001, 11:44 AM
Hey guys... I am flying out to Richmond this week and will be hanging out with my bros there.
We are planning a little trip to the D&P range, Saturday, 01-27-01 at about 2:00PM.
It would be cool if we could have a little gathering there and see some faces!
Uh, and could someone bring a .45 - the airlines asked that I not bring mine with me on the plane...

duck hunt
January 20, 2001, 09:10 PM
Well, aren't you just the jet-setter! Two simultaneous threads proposing shoots thousands of miles apart...you are truly a steely man of action.

Seriously...Shin Tao gets off work at 3 on Saturday. I figure we'll just zip right over to D&P afterwards; it's only about five minutes away.

Now for my favorite part...where should we eat? :)

George Hill
January 20, 2001, 10:52 PM
Ah, as always, something spicy and almost painful.
I'll let you pick the establishment...

duck hunt
January 21, 2001, 02:01 PM
Ahhhh....

Thai Diner it is, then.

Hey, George, since the meet discussions on Lock and Load are usually re: Utah Gatherings, do you think we should post a link in General to make sure Virginians see that this is happening?

Mike in VA
January 21, 2001, 03:13 PM
Ducky, That'd be helpful. I just stumbled in and found this. Richmond is about 2 hrs from me, where's D&P? I could might maybe get a kitchen pass for the afternoon, and I can bring .45's. M2

George Hill
January 21, 2001, 05:09 PM
If you like Duck... thats a good idea.
I am looking forward to visiting VA again. I have some retribution to deliver, some business, and spending time with family...
I am planning on spending Saturday at the range, shooting and BSing with as many TFLers as I can.
Why D&P? Well, for one, a TFLer helps run that little hole in the mud... They have a coke machine... Theres a Wendy's near by (I like Wendy's chili) and at one time I actually wanted to work there myself... Well, either D&P or Green Top - but GT doesnt have an range. Hmm... GT does have that little BBQ shack right there... Tell me the BBQ is still there!
Is VITO'S still there in the college district?

Shin-Tao
January 21, 2001, 06:15 PM
What retribution would that be, Mr. Hill?

George Hill
January 22, 2001, 12:31 AM
Fire and Brimstone to a fellow you know Mr Tao...
If I can find him. Personal matter.
We'll talk of this later.

duck hunt
January 22, 2001, 10:25 AM
Well, Dag.

I just checked your post on the Shiner thread, now closed. And we just filled the fridge with Shiner for ya!

Oh well.

Somebody will drink it....

George Hill
January 22, 2001, 10:48 AM
I'm gunna be nekked out there... Normally I travel with my Detonics loaded up with Cor Bon 185gr +P loads with a spare mag. I am not going to it with me on the plane, and I am not going to stow it in my lugage for some ramp-monkee to go through. Forget that! Shin doesn't have a 1911 I can borrow for the week... and I had to swap my VA card for a UT card. Argh. Can't even bring my AFCK due to FAA rules and same reason. Looks like my travel blade will be a wee little Spyderco Wegner JR.
Last time I was in Richmond I carried an HK USP .40 and an M-4 Carbine.

Bill Barrett
January 22, 2001, 11:45 AM
The BBQ shack is still there! In fact it sounds like a good place for lunch today. I havent been to Green top in almost a week.

griz
January 22, 2001, 11:52 AM
If this is an open invititation I can bring a 45. Does it have to be a 1911? How do you get to D&P? I will be coming from the East.

Mike Irwin
January 22, 2001, 12:02 PM
Hey Guys, I'll try to get there, but where in the hell am I going?

Mike in VA, I think that you and I live pretty close to each other. Wanna carpool?

I can't stay a really long time, as I have dogs I have to worry about...

George,

Want me to bring my 1917 in .45?

Poodleshooter
January 22, 2001, 12:46 PM
Hey Virginians,
A Charlottesville guy checking in. Where's "D&P" at? I've ben to Green Top a couple of times, but I usually only go to Richmond for the C&E gun shows.

George Hill
January 22, 2001, 12:55 PM
Man, I havn't been there in some years... Its off Midlothian Turnpike, across from a State Police HQ, behind Southern Gun World... Thats about all I remember. I could drive there - but cant tell you...
I am kinda used to seeing everything in Richmond after dark.

corv
January 22, 2001, 12:58 PM
I think D & P is on Midlothian Turnpike(Rte.60) at the intersestion of Turner Rd.This would be in South Richmond.
I think this is across from State Police Headquarters.If you get lost,ask for direction to SPH.Don't know if I can make this.

johnbt
January 22, 2001, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't you know...I'd like to meet everyone at D&P, but I'll be in the Bahamas :(

The BBQ stand next to Green Top is run by:

Buz and Ned's Real Barbeque
1119 N. Boulevard
Richmond
355-6055

It's north of Broad St. halfway to the ball field, next to the Car Pool car wash, if you don't want to drive to Greentop.

Have fun. And ask them about their plans for building a new range on the property next door.

John

Shin-Tao
January 22, 2001, 04:22 PM
Hey! Just tried one of the afore-mentioned Shiners...They realy are good!

duck hunt
January 24, 2001, 06:48 PM
:mad:

Stop letting this fall off the board!

Shin Tao hasn't finished all these $#@!&*! Shiners yet!

Mike in VA
January 24, 2001, 07:01 PM
Mike Irwin, yeah, I'm up for a road trip. I can't make a long day of it, but I'd love to put some faces with some names. We can be home in time to feed the pupies, no prob. M2

Mrs. Kodiac
January 24, 2001, 10:42 PM
I usually don't let George have all the fun without me, but this time it looks like he will! It's great to see TFL'rs gather together in common interests and friendship whether you are in Utah or Virginia! Have fun and shoot a few rounds for me! (I like them neatly in the middle thank-you.)

Hmmm...George, this retribution thing, that wee little Spyderco Wegner Jr. happens to be mine...I'd like it back safe and sound please with a rock solid alibi. =)300+

[Edited by Mrs. Kodiac on 01-24-2001 at 11:43 PM]

ArmySon
January 25, 2001, 03:06 AM
Hey, I'm trying to get somebody to cover for me at work Saturday. If I can swing it, I'll make the 7 hour drive to the Richmond area. I'll be sure to bring a 1911 for ya George.

Mike Irwin,
How the hell do I get there from Lancaster? I can get as far as Richmond with rt. 95. Then what???

at2000
January 25, 2001, 10:02 AM
I'll be there around 2:00 p.m.

Son, the street address of D&P is 106 Turner Road, Richmond, VA 23225. If you aren't a MapQuest user, I can e-mail directions to you. I used to live in Richmond and drove past D&P almost every day.

FYI (to everyone): I shot at D&P about 3 months ago. They don't allow reloads.

ArmySon
January 25, 2001, 12:35 PM
WHAT?

All of my ammo cept for my carry ammo are reloads. Ugh.. back to plan B.

George Hill
January 25, 2001, 05:25 PM
Son - It would be fantastic to meet you... Bring those famous 1911s! Shin-Tao regretably has Smith 9mm's... I cant make do with that...

Oh, Mrs. Kodiac... "Dont worry... Its Me!"

ArmySon
January 25, 2001, 11:38 PM
I'm still trying to find somebody to fill in for me. It's my turn to watch the MBX cathodolumiescence system this weekend :(

If I get somebody to fill in, I'll just show up at the range around 2PM.

at2000
January 26, 2001, 09:37 AM
Sorry guys. I can't get away this weekend afterall. I hope to meet all of you at some other time.

ArmySon
January 26, 2001, 07:20 PM
COOL! I got somebody to fill in for me. So we're meeting at the range around 2PM right?

Now I gotta go buy factory ammo and figure out what guns to bring...

See ya tomorrow!

Shin-Tao
January 26, 2001, 10:12 PM
Guys, this particular range doesn't let you shoot any ammunition you bring. You have to buy theirs.

"insurance" reasons...

ArmySon
January 26, 2001, 10:46 PM
What? I just went and bought $120 worth of ammo. There aren't any other ranges in the area?

Shin-Tao
January 27, 2001, 08:22 PM
I'm the first one back! Now I'll just issue myself some shiners and relax.

It was a good meet and it looked as though everyone had a lot of fun. I only wish my 6906 didn't look so puny and bland compared to some of the hardware the others brought.

That Wilson 1911 with the big exterior extractor was kewl. It makes me want a Glock much less than before.

It was great meeting you kids.

George Hill
January 27, 2001, 09:03 PM
Every had a great time...
I was surprised with ArmySon's Wilson Combat KZ-45. I had initially dismissed these as unworthy. I was wrong. Dispite the Les Baer that was there - the KZ-45 was my favorite shooter. It's not a traditional 1911 by anymeans, but the KZ is a surprisingly good shooter. Accurate and reliable. This is well worth the asking price. I may have to get one someday.

I had a great time - and I was also reminded why D&P somehow always made me a little annoyed... But its the only indoor range I know of in Richmond.
We had 8 shooters there working 3 or 4 lanes... 155MM's shotgun was fun - hit low, but was energetic. Shin's little 9 felt anemic after all the .45s! Shin, dont feel bad - size doesn't matter, right?
:D

After the shoot, we all went to an eastern indian restaruant for spicy vendaloo. Shin ordered Nuclear Hot where the rest of us ordered regular hot... We feasted and talked TFL stuff for a good long time.
Shooting and spicy food just go well together.
Great day!

Thank you for the extra effort all you guys gave in coming out on short notice. This was indeed the highlight of my trip to Virginia.

Shin-Tao
January 27, 2001, 09:51 PM
Yes, that's the one. The KZ-45. I want one. Do they come in .357Sig by any chance?

duck hunt
January 27, 2001, 10:04 PM
Third participant checking in...

We arrived fashionably late and were worried that everyone had stopped shooting or, at the very worst, left. fortunately that was not the case, and we were able to join them for what turned out to be a most enjoyable range session...even under the influence of cold medicine and performance anxiety, I did not embarrass myself too badly, I don't think. Except for some slight incompatibility between me and a Les Baer .45 of ArmySon's --if any of you tell them how bad I did with that one I'll skin you alive-- I shot okay.

Unfortunately for George, Vito's was too far away, so we had to settle for A Passage to India. Shin Tao was able to enjoy his customary tissue-searing hot vindaloo and I think everyone else enjoyed their food, too (Griz?).

Maybe by the next Richmond get-together, we'll have a floor and some places to sit and y'all can come by for a Shiner (or three!). Meantime, thanks for taking the time to come down here and shoot with us...it was an honor and a privilege.

Okay, I know at least two more of you -- uh, I mean one more of you -- is already home. Next post!

ArmySon
January 28, 2001, 01:02 AM
Well, I made it home in record time (5.5-6 hours). It's amazing what caffine and nicotine can do to the speedometer.

I want to thank all you southern peeps for showing this yankee a great time. It was a pleasure chit chatting and shoot'n lead down range with y'all :)

I'm glad everybody enjoyed the different firearms I brought along. I wanted to bring enough to provide a variety since I knew George was uhhhh handicapped by the airline with his pride and joy.

Next time, I'll know not to buy ammo before hand :) Duck Hunt did great with the KZ-45. She shoots straight and made one nice ragged hole.

Mike in VA, I would've taken up your offer to crash in Fairfax but I didn't have my contact lense kit along. Sleeping with them in is not a pleasurable experience :( It was great meeting you!

Here's a picture of George thinking he's a model :D

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1418286&a=11211836&p=39343096

duck hunt
January 28, 2001, 11:25 AM
BTW, George, how long are you in town?

Nobody tells me anything....:mad:

Mike in VA
January 28, 2001, 12:30 PM
It was a pleasure meeting everyone, putting IRL faces and voices together. It was also a real treat to get to exercise some new hardware. The plastic Wilson was great, and the Baer, well, I now have an inkling of why people pay what they do for high-end 1911's. It's a fine tool, one that could shrink groups down from 3-4" to 1-2" with a bit of practice. Thanks, Son.

Friendships are built an hour at a time, and this was time well spent. We'll have to figure out a range day in NoVA when the weather gets better. Now it's off to life support activities(grocery run, etc.) , honey-do's and gun cleaning. Best regards, M2

George Hill
January 28, 2001, 06:16 PM
I'm only here one more day... I fly back west Tuesday.

Thats a good picture of me ArmySon - I make that blue TFL shirt look good!

I forgot to mention my traditional John Woo attempt. This time with 9MMs. I used a Hi Power and a 9MM Springfield 1911 to good effect... After blowing through all the rounds as fast as possible Last Man Standing style, I actually had two hole inside the black this time!

Shin-Tao
January 28, 2001, 08:47 PM
George, against all reason, did attempt the John Woo again.

The disease spread and I tested the gansta palm down technique. It doesn't work, of cource.

Where's Griz?

griz
January 28, 2001, 09:07 PM
Sorry for the delay. The bridge in West point was closed and I got home late because of the detour. Great time even though I was way late getting there. I'll know to come early next time. Yes it was good food too. Spicy enough for me (Gerbers hot sauce). Any body want to try rifles at an outdoor range next time? I'll look into a range at West point but we would have to do it when the weather is aggreeable. Great time and fun to meet you folks, Griz.

155mm
January 28, 2001, 11:56 PM
Well...I enjoyed it imensly! The guns were incredibly fun.
(especially the shotgun.) I think ArmySon liked it enough. Can we say hip shots anyone? It was my first time shooting a pistol,yes it's strange that it was my first time considering that all my family are gun fanatics. I'm used to the peice of...I mean M-16, so a hand gun is rather diffrent. I liked the 1911 the best. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot more

ArmySon
January 29, 2001, 12:16 AM
Hey guys! You two shot extremely well considering it was your first time with pistols. You shoot better then some experts at my local club :)

The shotgun was a blast. If we do this again, I'll bring my Benelli M1. Shooting a semi-auto 12 gauge with 00 buckshot is a riot!

I see this is your second post now!

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/paladin/shotgun.gif

George Hill
January 31, 2001, 11:44 AM
Oh - for those that scoff at double gunning... I'm not the only one at TFL that does this once in awhile...
http://users.supernet.com/taos/double1911's.jpg
:D

Shin-Tao
January 31, 2001, 04:09 PM
If I ever find myself trapped in an action movie, I'll call you guys.

ArmySon
January 31, 2001, 05:20 PM
Who's that fellow shoot'n dem 1911's?

4V50 Gary
January 31, 2001, 09:54 PM
If I ever get to one of these meets, I'll bring my Southpaw Randall. That's the proper way to shoot with the left hand (John Woo, eatcha hart out).