PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Model '87

Romulus
January 18, 2001, 02:36 AM
I purchased this shotgun in M&P version less than a decade ago. I am now told that the company at the time was reorganizing under Chapter 11, and that the model '87 is no longer made, they're back to the old '37. Are parts interchangeable? I would be grateful for any info on this, as the Ithaca Gun Co. has not returned my e-mail yet...

Badger Arms
January 18, 2001, 11:02 PM
As I understand it, the model 87 was simply a change in model number. This may be wrong.

http://www.ithacagun.com

Romulus
January 19, 2001, 12:36 AM
That was my understanding as well...I was told when I purchased this all too lovely shotgun that it was a direct descendant of the '37. But I have to question that now that I see "new" '37s back on the market...Ithaca has thus far not acceeded to my request for info...

Thank you for your reply

ajacobs
January 20, 2001, 10:01 AM
The 87 is almost exactly a 37 featherweight. Excellent firearm. These were of course the law enforcement standard before the 870. I think the discontinuation was part of a simplification in manufacturing. The 87 parts will take almost all of the 37 parts, obviously becuse of the mag extension that excludes the barrel. Ithica is not very email friendly. They are local for me, and it is nice to tour the factory. I beleive surefire is discontinuing the foregrip mount for the ithica so if you ever want to get one of those now is the time.

Romulus
January 20, 2001, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info, ajacobs. I did visit the Surefire website, they still list the forend mount for the Ithaca. I don't know if it's for me though. I wonder if you might also know where to find a Speedfeed type stock for the model '87/37, Speedfeed doesn't list one...

Thanks

OTIS
January 21, 2001, 10:53 AM
Ithaca has had many changes in ownership in the past. One of those changes came in the mid eighties and the new company designated the model 37 as the 87, probably for the year of new ownership. From everything I have researched, they are identical. When Ithaca went through another ownership change the new owners went back to the 37 name. I can't remember the link where this was posted, but there was some interesting information on the history of Ithaca.

ajacobs
January 21, 2001, 07:57 PM
Can't find a speedfeed with the actual speedfeed tubes, I put a choate on mine and I love it. I Think I got it right from choate that was a while ago. It is real solid and has several spacers so you can adjust the length of pull. Try here http://www.uws.com/choate-stocks.html The 37 is still the designation for the standard model as per their web sight. http://www.ithacagun.com/

Romulus
January 22, 2001, 11:51 PM
Thanks to you all for the info and the attached tidbits...

russswick@epix.net
July 29, 2007, 10:49 AM
As someone who worked there, I wouldn't buy a model 87 due to the WWII era machines still used to machine the receivers. Parts that had specs of 2-3 one thousandths either way were routinely let thru with up to .040 off. This results in very sloppy guns. At the time I worked there, the receivers were manufactered on site by D&R Machining Co. They were in very big financial trouble and couldn't afford to scrap out any parts unless absolutely necessary. I only worked there a short time. No one had time to properly train me so my work was as bad or worse than everyone elses. They moved out of Ithaca shortly after I left.

bobn
August 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
i have a 87. it is a late eighties gun with 3inch chamber and choke tubes. it is built a tight as the other 37 i have. fwiw, bobn