PDA

View Full Version : *What is the best combat shotgun on the market?

magnum_force
December 30, 2000, 09:57 AM
What is the best combat shotgun on the market?

Hard Ball
December 30, 2000, 12:04 PM
It depends on whether you want a pump or a semiautomatic. If a pump, I like the Remington Model 870. If a semiautomatic, the Benelli.

LIProgun
December 30, 2000, 12:28 PM
I second the Rem 870. I'm not a big semiauto shotgun fan, but my vote there goes for the Beretta 1201.

Intel6
December 30, 2000, 01:32 PM
There are lots of suitable shotguns out there. You will get all types of answers. Usually the reccomendation is what that person owns. For every person that saya XYZ is the best you can find another one who says it is a piece of junk. Deceide whether you want a pump or auto and then try to get out and handle/try out what you can.
I prefeer the remington pumps and autos. Tried most of the others and have always gone back to them. My working SG is an 11-87 Police that has been Vang comped and had MMC tritium ghost ring sights installed. This is what I prefeer but the majority of them out there are good guns.
For all you knee jerk "Benelli is the best" people out there, I have a M3S90 (that sits in my safe) but like the 11-87P better.

greg c
December 30, 2000, 01:39 PM
Intel6 has a good point, but then again, I never met a knowledgeable shooter who said that the Rem 870 was a piece of junk :)

Go 870!

Reliability, durability, simple manual of arms, ease of maintenance.

Dave McC
December 30, 2000, 02:16 PM
Define "Combat"....

Are you talking about a weapon for a point man leading the squad down a jungle trail?

Or, something for a reservist called up on active duty to use out of a firing port of the APC he/she's driving?

Or, something for a civilian who lives too close to the werewolves, has little`experience with military style weaponry, but a clear and pressing need for a shoulder arm of great short range power?

Or a small business owner, in an area likely to go off the next time someone gets beaten up on videotape by the police?

Personally, in any of the above scenarios, I'd be content with one of my 870s, but others may differ.

As to why, after 40 years of use ranging from goose and duck hunting to line of duty, after taking a truckload or so of game,after busting a few thousand clay pigeons and trying to bust many thousand more, after protecting myself and family, I know that an 870(in trained and motivated hands)comes as close to 100% reliability as anything made by humans.

Any reliable shotgun is a great defensive tool. The 870s leads them all in reliability...

Vern Brink
December 31, 2000, 01:38 AM
Dave makes a lot of good points. The question you ask brings up several more. Without knowing what else you want out of the gun, I'd say Remington 870. Assuming a single opponent, the 1st shot is the one that will probably matter the most and the 870 will be just as fast as the Benelli. During a recent shotgun class, we timed a variety of shooters w/5 rounds shooting the 870 vs Benelli M4. Fastest time each (if I remember right) 870/1.8ish, M4/1.2ish. Pick the gun and practice w/it - a lot :)

ljlc
December 31, 2000, 08:18 AM
"There are lots of suitable shotguns out there. You will get all types of answers. Usually the reccomendation is what that person owns." Or would like to own. Do the math. 870's are good shotguns and lots of people have them. Therefore they get lots of praise, indicating they are good shotguns and lots of people have them. If that is your defintion of "best" , get one.

Dave McC
December 31, 2000, 10:02 AM
Actually, ljlc, it's the other way around. Lots of folks have 870s because they're good and people like that.

JohnK007
December 31, 2000, 02:14 PM
Well I'll throw my $.02 in. I've always been partial to the Ithaca M-37 DPS with extended tube. They're available from time to time on the used market. When we switched to the 870 from the M-37 I bought one back from the cop shop who sold us the 870's. I think it was the best $50 I spent! Wish I'd bought a couple more.

Dave McC
December 31, 2000, 06:05 PM
$50 for a Model 37? I'da bought at least 5. I prefer the 870, but a 37 is a great shotgun....

FireForged
December 31, 2000, 09:00 PM
"Define Combat?" Combat= Shooting at people who are probably shooting at you.

I like the Winchester 1300 Defender 18"

bullfrog99
January 1, 2001, 12:57 AM
i prefer the mossie 500 with a short tube to an 870, but the difference is nil, just preference. personally, i'de carry a double barreled shotgun with 20"or under tubes with internal hammers and an automatic ejector. sxs or over under? it doesn't matter. but looking at 2 .72 inch I.D. tubes would make anyone give up all hope of surviving the attack. plus, there is no more devistating shot i can think of than two barrels stoked with a total of 42 quarter inch pellets of lead(#4buck) traveling at 1250 fps hitting your chest at once. also auto ejectors give you speed at least as good as any pump out there(it actually takes more time to put 2 shells into the mag of a pump than to drop 2 into the chambers. some would disagree with me, but that's my findings. on a more personal note, they've yet to make an udderly reliable(a la ak-47)semi auto shotgun, so i'de stay away from those.

Blain
January 1, 2001, 04:08 AM
I can think of a more devistating shot, a 3 1/2 inch shell filled with 18 pellets of .33 cal 00 buck, 15 pellets of .36 caliber 000 buck, or 11 pellets of .38 caliber 0000 buck. Or a 3" Berneke slug ;)

ljlc
January 1, 2001, 09:05 AM
"Lots of folks have 870s because they're good and people like that." That's conjecture (from a confirmed 870 enthusiast!). They could have them for many reasons, availability or cost, for example. If you gave everybody Benelli's they might become the best liked (therefore the best?) SG. The facts are that there are lots of people who own 870's and they like them. 870's are noted for their reliability. Most gunsmiths can work on them. Parts are plentiful and you can get a zillion add ons. These seem the most important qualities for a PD shotgun, not populairty per se. That's why I have them for defense and that may be about as close as we can get to "best", a word which should be deleted from the dictionary. ljlc

thelveres
January 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
I would go with the beneli M4, I do not own that particular model, but having looked into the contest that was organized in order to pick a shotgun for the marines it seems to outperform the competition.

colostomyclown
January 7, 2010, 09:27 PM
all good suggestions,

personally for civilian use I'll vouch for the Winchester 1300 defender pump with 18.5" barrel and full mag tube. I feel it's the fastest, lightest defense pump there is with the best dimensions, capacity and layout. It's a very formidable weapon on it's own and in my opinion the best the pumpgun market has to offer. if i wasn't such a hobbyist and i only wanted ONE gun to protect the homestead or place of business, a 1300 would be it. i say civilian use because it doesnt have the heavy barrel of the 590a1 or the metal trig assembly and safety of the 870p, features that are nice but somewhat unnecessary on an occasional use gun.

colospgsAVID
January 7, 2010, 09:50 PM
I wonder if the word tactical fits here? I saw a tristar that had all the goodies but was way cheap(inexpensive I guess). Anybody know any real world data on these? I'd buy one if it's worth a crap.

hogdogs
January 7, 2010, 09:54 PM
Tactical is a verb...;) It is a mindset not a firearm. If your mindset requires a sparkling flashlight... than add it.
Brent

colostomyclown
January 7, 2010, 11:39 PM
id say the Tristar is THE model to avoid. it has a silly spring return function on the action....not a good idea.

Pathfinder45
January 8, 2010, 12:40 AM
......the few times I went to the Portland gun show there's been a fella with a USAS-12 for sale. I think it was selective fire and I believe he wanted 5K for it. It had a drum magazine. I had no idea such things existed.

TxGun
January 8, 2010, 12:54 AM
OP, did you really think you would get a concensus with a question like that? :rolleyes:

Barzten1
January 8, 2010, 12:55 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/babyjsalazar/GunZ022.jpg

For bullet proof ducks!

TxGun
January 8, 2010, 12:56 AM
deleted.

Lee Lapin
January 8, 2010, 10:09 AM
There are a lot more really good shotguns out there, than there are really good shotgunners. The shooter matters more than the shotgun. Pretty much any reliable repeating shotgun will do just fine, if the shooter will do.

Software, not hardware...

lpl

Madcap_Magician
January 8, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'm a fan of the Mossberg 500 and 590 series, but the 870 and the 37 are fine guns.

colospgsAVID
January 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
I stand corrected hogdogs. I just figured that a shotgun with combat in mind would, purely by virtue of features, become a tactical device.

Pigaloo
January 9, 2010, 02:14 PM
I would love to pick up one of the SLPs. They have been getting great reviews and feel great in the hand. They have a really solid/rugged feel.

Vanya
January 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
OP, did you really think you would get a concensus with a question like that?
Has anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't been on TFL since 2002?

And is "combat" the new "tactical," or vice versa? :D

hogdogs
January 9, 2010, 03:39 PM
colospgsAVID, don't take it personal... It is just one of my peeve terms and the more I try to put my opinion of the proper use, the more I feel I did my part to help folks. Just like "rifled slug" makes folks think the rifling is for use in rifled barrel or that it imparts noticeable spin for increased accuracy.

Another is "assault weapon"... to me any weapon used against anyone in a violent criminal manner is "assault weapon" even a .22 cricket could be an "assault rifle" if it is used to assault someone.;)
Cool?
Brent

Firepower!
January 9, 2010, 03:55 PM
1. AA12
2. USAS12
3. Benelli M4 Super90

Tucker 1371
January 9, 2010, 04:18 PM
Well if you don't mean best "combat" shotgun that a civilian can actually legally purchase then I would say the AA12.

If you are talking about something you can go out and buy tomorrow...

I like the 870 a lot except for one thing, the shell lifter/loader. Just irritating to me when I'm trying to load it. I like the Mossberg 590A1 because it has the shell lifter in the up position when the action is forward so loading is easier. I know it's a minor beef but it's enough to make me stray from it as a HD/SD shotgun. Just my $.02

bamafan4life
January 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
I love the new rock island tactical shotgun everything on that gun is steel (except the stock whitch is made of very study synthetic) and my local dealer can get them for around 250$

redrick
January 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
My vote would be either the 870 Police Magnum or the 590 A1. You have to decide which features you like. Most police departments use the 870, the military mostly use the 590 A1.

mathman
January 9, 2010, 05:54 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I've had 3 870s and had some reliability issues with two of them...mostly failure to eject, but that would be tragic in a self defense scenario. (I didn't have any issues with the police model that I had.) I know that people are going to talk about polishing chambers, etc...but one should not have to do this to have a reliable shotgun. And I'm not trying to go against the grain here...I like the look and feel and ruggedness of the 870...just have not had the best of luck with them.

I must say that I completely agree with ljlc...a lot of people praise the 870 because that's what they have. And I'm sure there are a lot of 870s that do not have the ejection issues that I have had.

From my experience with pump guns, I have found the Winchester to be not only the fastest, but also the most reliable.

For me, I'll take the Benelli semi auto.

And I also agree sith Lee Lapin...software, not hardware.

YMMV

Forty.Five
January 9, 2010, 11:02 PM
I really like the Benelli M4 Super 90

jlv08
January 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
The 870 wingmaster in riot form, Mossberg 590, Mossberg Persuader model 500, model '97 Winchester ( a little scarce) are some that come to mind . It's difficult to say which is "best" as folkls have differing opinions of what works best for them.

+1 on the software!

meanmotorscooter
January 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
AA12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

mavracer
January 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
OP, did you really think you would get a concensus with a question like that?
even after 10 years still no concensus LOL.
As far as fighting shotguns go the Benelli M4 doesn't have much of an advantage over a '97 Winchester trench gun.
+2 software

igor
January 10, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have a Winchester 1300. It is indeed the slickest action anywhere. I've tried Mossbergs, 870s, an Ithaca and some Fabarms. None come close to the 1300 in... actionability. To me, it's not about sheer speed, it's about less risk to short stroke under stress.

OTOH, the 1300 definitely isn't as sturdily built as, say a Mossberg 590. I wouldn't want to strike anything with mine, or have it really thrown about. Too much plastic and flimsy-ish metal.

Lee Lapin
January 10, 2010, 09:28 PM
I love the new rock island tactical shotgun

Bama,

They say that everything old is new again. I haven't had a chance to get hands on one of the Rock Island guns yet, but from looking at the pictures it sure seems familiar. I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was essentially a High Standard Flite King, redesigned slightly. I can see it has two action bars, but I can't tell for sure if it's still a tilting bolt design a la the Model 12, or if they've done the locking block in a barrel extension thing with it.

Either way it sure looks familiar. I'm looking forward to handling one. The additional action bar can only help, and if it IS still a tilting bolt design in a well manufactured all steel gun- look out world.

lpl

fisherman66
January 10, 2010, 09:39 PM
Tactical is a verb... It is a mindset not a firearm. If your mindset requires a sparkling flashlight... than add it.
Brent

Actually, it's an adjective; but that's a quibble. I agree with yer idear. Almost any solid and reliable repeater shotgun in capable hands should work well in a tactical situation. That means lots of shells and time shooting, not dohickies. YMMV with the dohickies, but not with the lots of shells and time shooting.

If tactical means long use with little time fer cleaning and maintenance I'd want the marine version. Marine, as in adjective; not the noun usage. Not that a Marine wouldn't be useful in a tactical situation. Quite to the contrary.

lefteye
January 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
The favorite of my father and grandfather was the Win. '97 so I was comfortable with a short barrel '97 in Vietnam and I still have grandpa's with a 30" barrel. But I favor the 870 - I have had several and still have five of them. :) The action is all-purpose and probably as reliable as any shotgun ever made (excluding single shots). Barrels, stocks, magazine tubes and accessories are available for virtually any purpose. On the market today? Maybe a Tac Desert Recon?

mike4
January 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
The AA12 exsists so you have to acknowledge what it has been tested and confirmed reliable to do. An awsome gun to go house to house , room to room. Carrying ammo for it can take points away due to the origin of the thread which says"combat sg". Now you have to look at whats gettable for us in the real world . Home protection or combat use the benelli m4 is another super fast way to use up 10 or 20 shells in a few seconds. I have had no trouble with my m411707 for 2 years now . Not a bit.
IMO ,the best combat / home sd semi within reach of the common man. (as opposed to the AA12).
Due to the problems i've had with 870's ,I put the super smooth operating Mossy 500 above it for o o t box reliabilty. My 500's cycle like a sg should. It's like the shell is being moved along by magnets. The 500 is lighter which is good.
Along with the m4, mossy is another 12 gauge i "never" had any dissapointing problems with ,unlike the 870 which i also know are owned by many satisfied ,serious gunners. It's just the experience i had with two which actually turned out great because i'm very into them now. I own a marine mag and a regular 870 and i had to polish and work the actions for hours and hours to get smooth ,reliable cycling finally. I also feel the magazine tube clamp can be a b**** to remove and return. An 1100 i had was a nightmare to breakdown without scratching it up. I would definately not part with them now but i'm getting kinda sick of the marine mags silver finish. Might sell it. The MM is actually unpolished in it's original condition and just naturally worked itself in nicely. The action that is.
So the 500 / 870 argument goes on but there are too many other brands that are great but less popular off the store shelves. Can't blog about them all...
BTW ,make no mistake ,the nelli m4 is a serious muscle gun. Reliable as all hell. If and when the shtf i will use it with slugs for 100 yard 4" breneke groups or 10 yard 00 terror. My m4 and my glocks keep reliability issues out of the equation. Although i got a great deal at a local show for a nib m4 with military stock and a factory tube i found later ,the money bought me peace of mind reliability wise. After hundreds of rds without a hint of issue it was the best $1300. plus $200. factory tube i ever spent. Whatever sinical theories people have as to why Uncle Sam went benelli for the joint service sg don't interest me because they picked a reliable sg imo. I"m not sure what the people using them over there think about them in the mud and gutts they contact everyday. I've read some good and bad opinions. Here I know the sg works however i truly hope the m4 is helping thier butts and not causing problems in those extreme conditions overseas. God Bless our Military.

AARguy
January 29, 2010, 11:10 PM
"Combat" is the operative word. To me that does NOT mean home defense. It means 1.) Operations over long periods 2.) LOTS of hostiles 3.) SMART opponents This could accur in the oft quoted "SHTF" scenario of near chaos. With that in mind, I have chosen the Mossberg 930 SPX for the following reasons:
1.) Ease of operation - a little practice and quick reaction is possible; the short barrel and light weight are ideal for close combat (MOUT/MOBUA) situations; reloading is quick and easy even during sustained contact
2.) Stealth - the sound of a pump may scare away a burglar, but in "combat" you don't want the bad guys having any idea where you are before trigger pull
3.) Firepower -a semi-auto puts more steel/lead downrange faster than any pump can. In addition, the 7+1 capacity of the 930 SPX is relatively large.
4.) Cost - the relatively cheap cost of the 930 SPX means that you can have more than one for spare parts or to arm a team mate
5.) Versatility - In a SHTF situation, you may be forced to use whatever ammunition is available. The center-bored 930 SPX can accept 2 3/4" or 3" 12 ga rounds as well as magnum rounds and all sizes of buckshot, lead shot, hybrids, rifled/unrifled/sabot slugs, etc.
6.) Sights - an integral Picatinny Rail is standard; Standard sights include a fiber optic front sight which enhances reaction time in day or low light conditions. A reflex sight can be mounted on the rail for even quicker reaction. I would not recommend any lights or lasers as these become "Here I am!" beacons. Similarly, a night sight which includes an illuminator, becomes a beacon revealing your location to any adversary that has passive, image intensifying NVG's (Night Vision Goggles) but, with time, the cost of passive IR night sights will make them practical and the Picatinny Rail will be in place to accept them.

brotus2
January 30, 2010, 12:45 AM
Left eye. I like my old 97 too.

jmortimer
January 30, 2010, 11:13 AM
With all due repect to all the prior and mostly useful posts, if we are talking about "combat" shotguns in current production the FN SLP is far better than most every gun mentioned - Same gas system as the Winchester SX3 used by Patrick Flanigan the fastest shotgunner. Watching one of his videos is awesome. I heard him state on one video that he had over 200,000 rounds on his SX3 with his 11 shot extension tube. Cleans it every two or three thousand rounds. Aside from the length, the SX3 would be a nice "combat shotgun" with 11 + 1 shots. As for the 870 or die crowd, the SLP is much faster and more reliable. The current production 870s are fast becomming infamous as "Jam-o-Matics" - The old Wingmasters are very fine guns.

mathman
January 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
The current production 870s are fast becomming infamous as "Jam-o-Matics" - The old Wingmasters are very fine guns.

I agree with this statment...it's a shame that Remington has let its flagship shotgun go the way of the cheap and unreliable.

Dave McC
January 31, 2010, 12:22 PM
Some input, formed over a long time.....

Combat shotguns need to be.......

Reliable. I suggest the Ayoob Test as a minimum. 200 rounds of DUTY ammo fired glitchless and preferably rapidly. Four range sessions of 50 rounds each will be easier on us than a marathon.

Fit the user. Besides stock length, we want something that is comfortable and ergonomically friendly to operate. We should able to access the controls without juggling things around.

Have a clean, sub 5 lbs, trigger.

Have sights one can use in any light conditions that do not need batteries or delicate handling.

Agile. A 10 lb Rambo Signature Model isn't agile. If you cannot hold your shotgun in firing position AT YOUR SHOULDER for two minutes, start taking stuff off or lifting weights.

And most importantly, the shotgun SHOULD BE WELL KNOWN TO THE USER.

Whether or not your shotgun of choice is a 500,88,12,97,520,31,37,870,A5, 1100,M-4,ad infinitum and is adorned with any or all accessories is less crucial than whether or not we know how to run it.

Sermon concluded....

38superhero
January 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
what fire forged said

russian hammer
January 31, 2010, 02:10 PM
I did not read through the entire 3 pages, so sorry for my ignorance if I am repeating anything.

It all breaks down to if you want a pump or semi. Pumps are simple and very reliable and there is no need to worry about pistons and such breaking down. But semis are amazingly fast and have much less recoil. For a pump the 870 would be my choice as they have a great track record and many available mods. For semis I would go with the 930 spx over the FN SLP simply by price point and ease of use. The SLP has 2 piston to be changed out for light and heavy loads, as the SPX handles both on a single piston. Of course the fit and finish on the FN is to a much higher quality. You really can't go wrong with either though. Thanks

headborg
May 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
can't believe/ why wasn't the SPAS-12 ever mentioned in the last 3 pages... sure it was discontinued from production 10 years ago....but...

zippy13
May 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
What is the best combat shotgun on the market?can't believe/ why wasn't the SPAS-12 ever mentioned in the last 3 pages... sure it was discontinued from production 10 years ago….but…
but what? Read the OP, the SPAS-12 doesn't qualify.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
May 12, 2010, 02:14 PM
This thread is nearly 10 years old.

markj
May 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
Has the shotgun changed much in 10 years? :)

Winchester 97, Dad had a few, could hold the trigger and cycle the pump for rapid fire. Model 12 was favored here in Omaha by the LEO force, model 1300 came with a releasing bolt for faster pump action. the newer 870 express are heavy things. My brother hunts with one at times. The Ithica was a light gun, got one for 200.00 from my neighbor as he dont hunt anymore.

Other neighbor has a browning 20 ga rifled barrel, light, fast and accurate way out there and semi auto too.

What about them remington 11s? The barrel moves as the action to cycle rounds :)

dogngun
May 13, 2010, 03:30 PM
about 40 years ago, never had any problems with it. I use a Mossberg 500 for an HD shotgun now and have for many years. I understand the US military used the Mossberg for some time because of its reliable function and ease of takedown for cleaning. I know there are many higher grade shotguns that the 500, but they are very rugged and reliable, which is what I want in a shotgun used for defense purposes.
What ever you choose, keep it very simple and it will work out better for you...there is a lot of unnecessary crap sold for shotguns that does nothing good.

mark

oneounceload
May 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
And just how many are planning on combat in their homes????:rolleyes:

PLEASE step away from the video games............................

MTT TL
May 13, 2010, 06:44 PM
Has the shotgun changed much in 10 years?

Well Winchester went of business. :(

johnwilliamson062
May 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
I like the ergonomics of the Moss 500 over the 870. I think between pretty much all the models ergonomics is where you will find differences.

loverme85
May 13, 2010, 11:39 PM
Benelli m4

loverme85
May 13, 2010, 11:49 PM
And just how many are planning on combat in their homes????

Thanks ONEOUNCELOAD, this tactical shotgun craze is ridiculous to me. I own one, but that's just because I own a lot of shotguns and rifles. Some people it seems like all that matters to them is being John Rambo.

Naterstein
May 14, 2010, 12:44 AM
I dont recall John Rambo using a shotgun. Definitely not gonna use a bow with explosive tipped arrows as my HD weapon and probably not a 10" bowie.

markj
May 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Another thing to look at is cost. Some semi autos will cost a lot more than a pump action.

Benelli m4 = MSRP which is $1625.00
Buds gun shop didnt show the m4s price.

Browning HD = 397.00
CZ USA 432.00
Escort 290.00
Interstate arms 198.00
Maverick 205.00
Mossberg 500 = 315.00

Prices are all over the place, I would pick one of the pumps over the benelli due to cost alone. Some can afford the best and most expensive, I cant so my HD shotgun is a field grade winchester 1300 with 22 in barrel.

Gun shows may find a good shotgun for less than these go for.

loverme85
May 14, 2010, 04:08 PM
He did use an M60, those are super cool

BigJimP
May 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
and how many " Tactical Shotguns " are just sitting around in safes ...not having more than 10 rds a year put thru them .....or less ....

when you could have a decent field pump gun ....that will work just fine for "Defense" if you ever needed it ???

one of my son's buddies recently admitted he's having such a good time shooting clays ( 5 Stand, skeet, Trap and Sporting clays with my son and I ) that his Rem 870 tactical was a giant waste of money ....and now he's looking at a "clays" shotgun where he can have some fun ....

Its fun to have "cool" guns ......and I'm not saying the tactical stuff isn't cool ...but is it fun ?? They sure aren't your best choice for shooting clays - if you want to be competitive ...

mathman
May 14, 2010, 04:57 PM
I agree with BigJimP.

I have an 18" barreled shotgun for shooting slugs...and I guess it would be called tactical, but I call it my slug gun.

However, my favorite shotgun is my 21" Benelli M2. It has a vent rib, is fast pointing, light weight and would serve very well as a HD or 'tactical' shotgun. However, it is also very good for shooting skeet, clays in the desert, plinking, hunting, slugs, buckshot, etc, etc...which are the activities I engage in about 90% of the time.

To each his (or her) own, but unless you have to maneuver very tight corners inside your home, a shotgun with a vent rib and slightly longer barrel is probably going to serve most folks better that a 'tacticool' shotgun.

Oh, and my vote still goes to Benelli...as I stated on page 2.

loverme85
May 14, 2010, 05:35 PM
I never use my Benelli M4. I'm kicking myself for not selling it last year when prices for tactical weapons went threw the roof. I had bought one of those telescopic stocks for it for 100 bucks from a guy that didn't know what he had, at the time they were going for 250. Then the stock alone went up to a thousand dollars, the hole set up I have last yr was going for 3800 and I had like 1700 in the rig. Really wish I would of sold it and bought a nice Dakota or Perazzi.

loverme85
May 14, 2010, 05:49 PM
Or even my latest obsession, a German made Weatherby mark V in a 257 wby mag

BigJimP
May 14, 2010, 05:54 PM
Don't sell anything ....you'll regret it down the road ....

I think I'm at about 25 shotguns ....( nothing tactical ) and I rarely shoot some of them anymore ...because I have 8 or 9 favorites for hunting, Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays ...( most of them are Browning O/U's ) ...in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 ....but I'll divest a few of them to the kids here pretty soon ....

There is always a new home for some of the old guns ....

loverme85
May 14, 2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah that's what my father always tells me, but you have to admit a trade for one of those would have been nice :rolleyes:. I currently have 22 shotguns, and could use a few more. One of which is a Browning Superposed. I'm sure you have one.

Nnobby45
May 14, 2010, 06:51 PM
There's no such thing as the best, since all opinions are subjective. Benelli's and Mossbergs all have their fans. However, when 870's show up in shotgun courses, they just run and run. Just like on the street or in the field.:cool:

Nnobby45
May 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
This thread is nearly 10 years old.

So what if it were? Reviving an old thread for an up to date discussion isn't a bad thing, is it? And that means it isn't old anymore.:D:p

Crosshair
May 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
can't believe/ why wasn't the SPAS-12 ever mentioned in the last 3 pages... sure it was discontinued from production 10 years ago....but...
Because the SPAS-12 is not a very good combat shotgun. It's heavy, hard to pump, not all that reliable, complicated, and expensive.

They are like H&K guns. Highly overrated and largely unavailable to civilians.

oneounceload
May 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
Really wish I would of sold it and bought a nice Dakota or Perazzi

Take the P gun - Dakotas are imported and overrated

A P gun can be ordered EXACTLY how you want it - down to barrel weight, balance point, stock dimensions, etc. all for no extra charge...(I'm saving my pennies)

loverme85
May 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
They are wonderful guns. I bought an old one imported by SKB (the price was right), about 5yrs ago. Definitely wouldn't mind having a new TMX though :D

foggy
May 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
The only person I ever heard complain about the SPAS-12 owns one :D

dogngun
May 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
One of the reasons I really like the Mossberg is that I can take of the 18 1/2" barrel and put in the 26" barrel and go hunting with it - takes about 2 minutes.
So it's "tactical" and "sporting" all at the same time....

mark

XR750
May 19, 2010, 05:47 AM
He did use an M60, those are super cool

I carried one for 13 months Heavy b3T@H But only time she wouldn't go bang is when we went into a rice Paddie . Drained the water & muck out wiped her down squirted with LSA and she fired again

Mutatio Nomenis
May 19, 2010, 10:59 PM
If you're after a pump, then I'd recommend the old M1917 trenchgun. If you want a semiauto, get a Saiga-12. If you want an automatic, get the AA-12. If you just want to make everyone wonder what the f*ck you're doing, get a blunderbuss.

DustyBottoms
May 20, 2010, 12:06 AM
Ithaca 37.

They still make 'em (unlike the seminal M1917 trench gun - although you may find a half-decent reproduction... if you're lucky, and have a money tree in your back yard).

Rapier
May 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
I looked at two pages of this thread and found out you guys are way behind the power curve. What is the #1 shotgun used today in 3 gun competition? It is a real bad boy, #1 gun for Russian Spl Ops. It is the Saiga in 12ga.
Comes in several configurations including as a rifle with a scope for slugs and sabot use.
Take a gander at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVJqqnp4PA

"Oh, I like that."
Ed

JNewell
May 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
When you really get down to it, there are very few bad shotguns. And even if you buy "the best" according to the Faceless Internet Experts, your particular copy might be a lemon. Pattern, train, etc. with YOUR gun. Even some Benelli owners have problems with their guns.

LanceOregon
May 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
And just how many are planning on combat in their homes????

That is a most valid point to make. A shotgun shootout inside your home could easily do thousands of dollars of damage to your home and its contents.