PDA

View Full Version : 8 rd 1911 mag choice

Noreaster
January 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
Adding a few 8rd magazines for my 1911 and I can't afford Wilson's. Primary use would be a sandy IDPA environment. Narrowed my choice down to Chip McCormick or Mec-gar, (under $30.00 price range.) But I'm open suggestions and I'd appreciate hearing from your experience with different brands.

Venom1956
January 18, 2013, 10:30 PM
Either are great.

Hawg Haggen
January 18, 2013, 10:41 PM
I use flush mount Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. Never had a problem with them.

Jim Watson
January 18, 2013, 10:48 PM
I have some CMC Power Mags that do ok although I would prefer the more expensive Cobramags.
I think flush 8 shot are a dead end. I have some that work but they are not like they came out of the box.

I don't have any Mecgar 1911s but their Sig mags are good.

SauerGrapes
January 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
I've never had any trouble with the Chip McCormick mags, be it power mags or shooting star.

Nathan
January 19, 2013, 07:23 AM
I would get the Checkmate with a dimple follower, removable base and wadcutter lips.

I have the dimple follower, extended body and hybrid lips. This is ok too, but I just don't prefer the hybrid lips any more. Doesn't bother me enough to replace them.

Top Gun Supply is the website to buy at.

Kreyzhorse
January 19, 2013, 08:57 AM
I've never had any trouble with the Chip McCormick mags, be it power mags or shooting star.

+1. You can spend more but you won't find a more reliable mag that Chip McCormick.

Sarge
January 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
I used the Metalform 7 round magazine, with the round follower and welded baseplate. It is an excellent magazine and I used it because I'd had spotty results with 8 round magazines.

My Chief gave me a couple of 8 round Chip McCormick Power Mags. They have consistently given perfect function in maybe six 1911's, throughout a wide range of ammo including light SWC reloads. I've got a half dozen of them now don't expect to need any more 1911 magazines.

Noreaster
January 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
Chip McCormick are sounding better and better. Thanks for the input.

lmccrock
January 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
Well, under $30, no. Add a few bucks and go Tripp (http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html).

Rinspeed
January 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
For around $20 I really like the Checkmate 8 rounders.

Virginia58
January 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
+1 on the Tripp mags. About $35 each, but worth the money.

moose fat
January 22, 2013, 04:00 AM
Another bump for Chip McCormick.

DasGuy
January 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
My Chip McCormick mags don't feed reliably (FMJ). My Wilsons have fed everything so far and I just ordered some Tripp mags to try out.

Mausermolt
January 24, 2013, 03:42 PM
i dont buy anything but Wilson anymore. i have a Chip and it is reliable 90% sometimes it shoots the bullet straight up into the top of the chamber and jams. but Wilson has always been 100%. i actually ran over a 10 rnd Wilson mag and bent the housing to crap. when i contacted Wilson to buy a replacement housing (spring,folower and base plate were still good) they told me to send in the whole thing and they will replace it for free. 2 weeks later i got a brand new 10 rnder in the mail no charge. they have my business for life now. great customer service goes a long way for me.

RickB
January 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
I used McCormick Power 8s for many years, with no issues. I had to occasionally replace the springs in the less-expensive Shooting Stars.
My preferred mag today is the Check-mate extended-tube "competition" mag.
My IDPA club did some testing on the prototypes, three or four years ago, and Check-Mate was extremely responsive in addressing the issues we identified. I'm sure we weren't the only ones evaluating them, but we would often have revised mags in hand within a month of communicating a problem, and they continued to improve the tubes, springs, basepads, etc., based on feedback from shooters.
Top notch stuff.

shootniron
January 25, 2013, 12:35 AM
Chip McCormick...gets my money.

Creeper
January 25, 2013, 01:34 AM
Interesting list of popular mags. Did you know that Brownell's has come out with their own Xylan coated, stainless steel, metal follower magazine (http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/brownells-1911-magazines-prod55103.aspx?ttver=2)? Posts on 1911 specific forums are speaking well of them.

C

Ben Towe
January 25, 2013, 02:11 AM
Another vote for Chip McCormick.

Bill DeShivs
January 25, 2013, 03:35 AM
If you put 7 rounds in the 8 round mags they will probably work like they are supposed to......