PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock hunting all the way!

BCarp
January 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone else here do the "period" hunting thing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/BCarp/periodhunt.jpg

Beagle333
January 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
No, but I really like that coat. :D

I have always wanted to play with a flinter, but never wanted to so badly that I committed to buying one. I just play with my caplocks. I don't shoot at a range and don't know of anybody ever shooting flint there when I visited it anyway. I don't even know anybody else that shoots bp here at all. :rolleyes:
There is never anybody browsin' around that section of the gun store.

BCarp
January 17, 2013, 09:41 PM
I come from the reenactment end of things: Rev War and French & Indian War. Thousands of flintlock shooters involved! They are a much more reliable gun than you might think (I've had big musket locks go off in a driving rain, no problem) and buying flints is cheaper than percussion caps...!

Beagle333
January 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
You are very right about that! I have only recently started making my own balls, and a store-bought cap now costs over twice as much as a hand cast ball, even when I have to buy the lead and pay shipping.

deerslayer303
January 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
I like that coat too. Nope never shot a flinter only seen it on youtube. I would like to shoot a flintlock though. One day I hope to run into someone who can teach me. Just seems to complicated to strike out on my own. But they interest me for sure.

Smokin'Joe
January 17, 2013, 10:36 PM
Brian,
You look great. Tell me, is the color of your coat and cap authentic or is that Hunter Orange for safety?

Sure Shot Mc Gee
January 17, 2013, 11:55 PM
Looking good there BCarp. Was that a group gathering of like minded folks when the pix was taken?

Roaddog
January 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
I hunt squirrel, birds, bear and deer with flintloch.I must use blaze orng for deer. But the rest of them I put on my buckskins and mocks. You look very spiffy there BCarp.

BCarp
January 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks, guys! The coat is "madder red", the same shade as British infantry enlisted coats of the 1700s. Madder is a root that provides sort of a brick-red color as a dye. (Officers' scarlet coats used a stronger, more expensive red dye.)

The "monmouth cap" is knitted from orange-ish yarn. Not exactly Day-Glo, but fairly noticeable!

We try to get like-minded folks together for a period deer hunt each season. Loads of fun! Here's another pic from that same day:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/BCarp/HPIM0385a.jpg

noelf2
January 18, 2013, 09:51 AM
(Officers' scarlet coats used a stronger, more expensive red dye.)

That dye was called carmine, and was extracted from a cactus sucking bug called the cochineal. Was also used as a food coloring up until about 20 years ago. I think my mother in law still has some cochineal. mmmm bugs...

BCarp
January 18, 2013, 11:50 AM
Check out the "Pennsylvania Fowler" on this page:

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles03.htm

That's my gun in the pix, in 20 gauge. The guy who built it left off the rifle-looking brass nose-cap, and installed a rear sight. For the typical deer-hunting ranges encountered around here, it's an accurate round ball shooter, even though smooth-bored....

Doc Hoy
January 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
Lemme ask a questions..

Is either of you wearing a wrist watch?

. . . :)

BCarp
January 18, 2013, 02:09 PM
No, Doc; but I might have had on modern long-johns...! :o

Doc Hoy
January 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
I haven't read your posts on this particular forum but they are clearly pertinent (IMNSHO).

BTW.... Let me congratulate you on living in a beautiful part of the nation.