PDA

View Full Version : AK front post options?

Venom1956
January 16, 2013, 09:03 PM
What do you all prefer for a front post?

I was hoping to find something like a FO or NS option but the only one I've really found was the XS sights which are fine. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any other ones? :confused:

seanc
January 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've got one of these (Ameriglo AK front sight) on my HD rifle:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Ameriglo_Most_AK_Tritium_Front_AMGAK_715_p/amgak-715.htm

They've very easy to pick up in low/no light. They're almost like a red (green) dot sight. These are not precision sights, but inside 25 yards, they'll more than do.

bamaranger
January 19, 2013, 12:23 AM
XS makes a tritium post and "Big Dots" for the AK, the biggies include a shallow V express rifle style rear.

If you search a a bit more, you should find the plastic, colored posts that ususally come in a pack of 4 colors. Pretty common but not sure who markets them.

AK103K
January 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
I have Meprolight night sights on my AK's. They work well, but I would prefer the rear dots were smaller, as they tend to overwhelm and fuzz out at night. Ive actually removed the the Mepro rears and re installed the factory rear sights on two of my AK's, due to the "fuzz out" problem. The front sight is fine, and a nice clean dot. It also works well by itself with the factory rear sight.

While the large, square front post works great at closer ranges, it does tend to reduce the useful range of the gun to about 200 yards or less. I shoot more accurately at longer ranges with the stock front post. I had the same problem with my Springfield SOCOM and its fat front post.

blfuller
January 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
An outfit called KNS precision makes different front sights for AK's. You can find info on them HERE (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/iron-gun-sights/ak47-mak90-sks-galil.html).

WildBill45
January 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
I've got one of these (Ameriglo AK front sight) on my HD rifle:

The flat design means you cannot have a half rotation for the final adjustment to see the dot!

plouffedaddy
January 26, 2013, 01:13 PM
I prefer them stock and mount a light on it for night time work. At distances that you could justify firing your rifle in court the sights are usable as they silhouette from the light.