PDA

View Full Version : Best Choice for HD Rifle With Only Seven Rounds

Alabama Shooter
January 14, 2013, 09:53 PM
- If you use or are planning on using a rifle for self or home defense

and

- You are restricted to seven rounds

Which rifle (or other long gun) would you pick and why?

allaroundhunter
January 14, 2013, 09:55 PM
An AR with a 7 round magazine. I have plenty of practice on the platform so if I need to change magazines I am fast, and the 5.56/.223 with defensive ammo is a force to be reckoned with. Follow up shots (when needed) are quick and accurate, and excessive penetration is not as much of a worry as with other calibers.

ratshooter
January 14, 2013, 11:22 PM
Mini-14. You can modify the 5 round mag to hold 6 rounds and with one in the pipe you have 7 rounds.

AsSeenOnTV
January 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
An AA12 shotgun :D

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 12:30 AM
An AA12 shotgun

The OP asked about a 7 shot RIFLE, not a shotgun. Thats why its in the rifle forum. I wondered how long it would take before someone didn't read the original post and suggested a shotgun. I didn't have long to wait.

JimmyR
January 15, 2013, 12:39 AM
@ratshooter- The OP did say "rifle or other long gun." While you are right, this is the Rifle forum, the OP did open it up to shotguns, albeit perhaps not intentionally. I will refrain from making a comment about criticizing people for reading the original post...

@OP- While I would normally reccomend a shotgun, to keep ratshooter from bad mouthing me :p, I would have to suggest my Mosin m44- 5 rounds of heavy ammo, and with the bayonet out, I might stab a threat before shooting him...

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 01:05 AM
I would have to suggest my Mosin m44- 5 rounds of heavy ammo, and with the bayonet out, I might stab a threat before shooting him...

It's statements like this that are going to get our assault knives banned next.... :rolleyes:

JimmyR
January 15, 2013, 01:19 AM
Nah, remember, Obama thinks bayonets are obsolete anyways...

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
Nah, remember, Obama thinks bayonets are obsolete anyways...

Just wait 'till all of those poor, medicaided, help-needing criminals show up to the morgues and hospitals stabbed because the first 7 shots weren't convincing enough to get them to leave...

JimmyR
January 15, 2013, 01:26 AM
While I would not in all honesty use my m44 as a rifle for home defense (1 bedroom apartment), as a spear, hmmm, perhaps.

Dr Big Bird PhD
January 15, 2013, 01:49 AM
I would put 7 .223s in a playboy and throw it at the intruder. I will abide by the 7 round magazine.

DasGuy
January 15, 2013, 03:02 AM
Why 7? Seems like such an odd number.

In that case I'd take a rifled shotgun with slugs.

Auto426
January 15, 2013, 03:20 AM
My first rifle choice would be a AR with a modified 10 round magazine. Magpul just released a new 10 rounder, and the right size spacer inside of it would limit it to just 7 rounds. Assuming that's out of the picture, I would probably opt for a Marlin guide gun, particularly the SBL model. For the scatter gun route, the trusty 870 with a tube extension would be legal and work just fine.

johnwilliamson062
January 15, 2013, 04:58 AM
Shotgun without a doubt. Shotgun v. 30 round AR is arguable, but 7 rounds?

Not a mini for sure. With a 7 round mag I would want fast smooth mag changes, so the AR would win there.

Can you have multiple mags that feed simultaneously? I saw what looked like two doublestack mags feeding into another doublestack mag the other day(all in one parent mag body). Couldn't the mag at the top be integral? Maybe not. Free market puts a million dollars in the bank of whoever designs their way around this crap.
I was thinking a short AWB might be awesome. Gattling gun tech would take off.

Pocket gattlers for CCW.

PatientWolf
January 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
Marlin 1894 SS with a "plug" to bring it down to 7 shots. If that doesn't fit the requirements, I guess a Marlin 336, although I'm giving up 1 shot.

With either of these, I can be sure what I hit stays down and they offer good follow up.

UtopiaTexasG19
January 15, 2013, 07:02 AM
"Magpul just released a new 10 rounder, and the right size spacer inside of it would limit it to just 7 rounds. "

It appears any new ban like the one being proposed in NY to limit magazines to 7 rounds will include the word "permanent" in the clause so "spacers" may not make the grade.

Double Naught Spy
January 15, 2013, 07:52 AM
Seven round mag? Nothing will change for my HD rifle and shotgun.

Hoosier_Daddy
January 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
Assuming HD means inside the home defense, a 12 gauge Shotgun would be my choice.

Rifleman1952
January 15, 2013, 08:18 AM
The Rossi Ranch Hand holds six rounds in the tube + 1 in the chamber.

You can get one of these in 45 colt, .44 magnum or .357 magnum.

If you must use a rifle for home defense and AR's have been banned in your state, consider a rifle that uses handgun ammo.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/Ranch_Hand_2.jpg

If you are a resident of the state of New York, the number 7 is relevant because that is the number of rounds, deemed by Emperor Cuomo, as "safe" for his subjects to have loaded in a firearm.

militant
January 15, 2013, 08:36 AM
A lever gun in .44 mag.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 09:32 AM
Same thing I have always depended on: a Remington 870 pump shotgun with 18" barrel and extended mag.

WildBill45
January 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
Two 7 round mags taped together makes a 14 round mag!!!

:D

PatientWolf
January 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Oh... great... Now there will be a ban on Duct Tape. How will I ever make home repairs?

Alabama Shooter
January 15, 2013, 10:17 AM
I alluded to shotguns in my post in a non specific way. I believe rifles to be superior in many ways for home defense over shotguns but was curious if people would drop rifles when they lose one of their significant advantages (higher capacity).

All things even I would stick to a rifle myself, likely what I use now an AR-10 style with a seven round magazine. Drop the round count to three or less and I would switch to a seven round shotgun. I would definitely stay with something large caliber. Even though I really like the .223 the big advantage there is capacity.

Figure during a home invasion there is seldom one invader.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 15, 2013, 12:19 PM
I am leaning towards shotgun or .45-70 lever gun. If you are limited to seven, they might as well be big and powerful. Also if the magazine only holds seven, I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.

Naturally, the .45-70 would be used where you wanted a lot of penetration/more range.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.
I agree. In the military we were taught to "combat load" the 870 where your non shooting hand was inserting more rounds into the mag while you still had your target covered.

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 12:27 PM

Because that means that most semi-automatic rifles and pistols will be illegal....

10 round magazines for such firearms are fairly commonplace, NY wanted as many of these firearms as possible to be illegal.

Auto426
January 15, 2013, 12:43 PM
I don't know what exactly is contained in New York's new statewide AWB, but I'm pretty sure the 7 round limit was chosen to screw with gun owners who's weapons were grandfathered in. Most manafucturers already have sku's for guns that ship with 10 round magazines, and mags limited to 10 rounds were fairly common. Now, only a handful of single stack magazines for guns like 1911's or PPK's will be legal.

I believe they included a "one military feature" test for new guns as well, banning pretty much everything but a handful of guns. Let's just hope this turns out to be another piece of legislation that the courts get rid of, like the D.C. handgun ban.

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
Auto, grandfathered in magazines with a max capacity of 10 are okay, I believe, but they can only be loaded with 7 rounds?...

lcpiper
January 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
+1 for the lever guns. Pick your caliber although in a handgun caliber I think I remember some handy little velcro pouches that would hold about a reload worth of cartridges that would ride easy on a belt, or just a good leather cartridge belt like mine. All you gotta do is keep it buckled and ready near the rifle. just throw it over the shoulder in a quick situation.

Oh, and if you take one of those cut down pistol versions spend the cash and apply for the SBR stamp and put a full length stock on it :)

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 01:39 PM
Oh, and if you take one of those cut down pistol versions spend the cash and apply for the SBR stamp and put a full length stock on it

Magazine capacity is being cut down to 7 rounds....and somehow we are going to continue to get SBR approval?...

lcpiper
January 15, 2013, 01:50 PM
Act fast while you still can :cool:

Hell, right now it's supposition and a scare at the Fed level, they might never get a thing passed in Congress. Lord knows they can't get a budget passed.

Alabama Shooter
January 15, 2013, 02:00 PM
Also if the magazine only holds seven, I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.

I did not know they came in a seven round magazine.

I commend you for your choice of military style assault rifle.

Bart Noir
January 15, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mini-14. You can modify the 5 round mag to hold 6 rounds and with one in the pipe you have 7 rounds.

If the limit-we-all-live-in-fear-of is 7 rounds in the magazine, why would you pick any solution that only holds 6?

Much better to have 7 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Doing the math, I see 8 rounds here :D

Bart Noir
Who expects to modify M1 Garand clips for only 7 rounds...

CTS
January 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
I did not know they came in a seven round magazine.
Mag extension for Remington 870.
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shotgun-magazines/magazine-tubes-amp-parts/rem-870-mag-extension-2-rds-sku019000047-43001-80865.aspx?ttver=1

Cheapshooter
January 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
Good ole, "thudy-thudy". Marlin, or Winchester lever gun.

lcpiper
January 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
Of course, if 7 round mags become the limit manufacturers will start making 7 round mags pdq.

Dondor
January 15, 2013, 04:06 PM
It is the first step to get the vast majority of the semi auto weapons off the streets. Wait.. I said that wrong.. get them out of your house.

No magazine will be grandfathered. 1 year to sell it outside of state, after that it is a misdemeanor to own one. At least that is what I got out of the law about to pass.

Glad I live in the South.

Alabama Shooter
January 15, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mag extension for Remington 870.

He was talking about a .45-70 Rifle.

No magazine will be grandfathered. 1 year to sell it outside of state, after that it is a misdemeanor to own one.

If it is over ten rounds. If it is ten or under you can keep it you just can't put more than seven "bullets" in to it. How they plan on enforcing that law is a mystery of modern science.

Yankee Traveler
January 15, 2013, 04:57 PM

NY is proposing a ban on all magazines larger than 7 rounds. Furthermore the proposal that all magazines larger must be sold out of state within a year of enacting.

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
If the limit-we-all-live-in-fear-of is 7 rounds in the magazine, why would you pick any solution that only holds 6?

Bart in some places minis are sold with 5 round mags only. This lets you get one more round in the rifle without trying to block a 10 round mag.

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
@ratshooter- The OP did say "rifle or other long gun." While you are right, this is the Rifle forum, the OP did open it up to shotguns, albeit perhaps not intentionally. I will refrain from making a comment about criticizing people for reading the original post...

@OP- While I would normally reccomend a shotgun, to keep ratshooter from bad mouthing me , I would have to suggest my Mosin m44- 5 rounds of heavy ammo, and with the bayonet out, I might stab a threat before shooting him...

JimmyR you are correct that he stated "or other long gun" but this is the semi auto forum. The two other rifle forums would have had a little more leeway. But it really sounds like the OP wants a rifle with an odd sized mag.:confused:

But go ahead and suggest a shotgun. You are safe from ridicule.:D

By the way this was the title of his thread.

Best Choice for HD Rifle With Only Seven Rounds

I guess thats why I thought we were talking about rifles only. So maybe I didn't misread the OP after all.

Skans
January 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
MechTech Carbine using a Glock 20 (10mm) as the base. Really, any carbine that is .45 or 10mm. In fact, the Kriss Carbine would be great for home defense. For the short distances encountered inside of a house, I really like certain handgun rounds over .223,, 7.62x39, 30 carbine, 308 or any other rifle cartridge. 45ACP defense

Alabama Shooter
January 15, 2013, 05:41 PM
The two other rifle forums would have had a little more leeway. But it really sounds like the OP wants a rifle with an odd sized mag.

In most home defense situations ideally the best HD rifles are AR-15s with a fully loaded magazine or an AK/ similar. You can argue the point forever if you want to but a reliable, light recoiling, semi-automatic rifle in cartridge that gives great terminal performance at close range is near impossible to beat.

Some situations do vary.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 07:28 PM
I am leaning towards shotgun or .45-70 lever gun. If you are limited to seven, they might as well be big and powerful. Also if the magazine only holds seven, I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.
Not sure how you get that he was talking about a lever gun. Most lever guns load from the right side. Kind of hard to keep loading and firing with the same hand. Maybe I misunderstood but with a pump shotgun that loads from the bottom, you can keep loading rounds with your left hand while you still have your finger on the trigger covering your target with your right hand. Keep a round in your left hand and every time you eject an empty hull, stuff another round in the mag, reach in the ammo pouch for another, all the while covering your target. Not hard at all with a little practice.

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Slappy you can insert extra rounds on a lever action just like you can a shotgun. The lever has to be in the up or closed position. Fire three rounds and quickly slip in three more to replace them.

In most home defense situations ideally the best HD rifles are AR-15s with a fully loaded magazine or an AK/ similar. You can argue the point forever if you want to but a reliable, light recoiling, semi-automatic rifle in cartridge that gives great terminal performance at close range is near impossible to beat.

There are other guns besides ARs that will shoot the same 223 round. Like a Mini-14, Kel-Tec Sun 2000 or whatever its called and IIRC Beretta makes a 223 carbine. I would rather use my Marlin 9mm carbine than my AR. Less muzzle blast and with the right bullets no over penetration.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 08:24 PM
Slappy you can insert extra rounds on a lever action just like you can a shotgun. The lever has to be in the up or closed position. Fire three rounds and quickly slip in three more to replace them.

I am well aware of that but, can you do it with the gun to your shoulder and finger on the trigger while still covering your target?

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 08:36 PM
With your finger on the trigger? Nope, no more than you can insert rounds in a shotgun with your finger on the trigger at the same time.

But you can have the rifle cocked and pointed at the threat will you slip the rounds in. And I don't know about you but if needed I can get my firing hand back in position shoot in a fraction of a second if I need to.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 08:39 PM
Nope, no more than you can insert rounds in a shotgun with your finger on the trigger at the same time.

I have to call BS on that one. I have done it many times, was trained to do it in military and law enforcement training. Why in the world would you no be able to?

Alabama Shooter
January 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
I am well aware of that but, can you do it with the gun to your shoulder and finger on the trigger while still covering your target?

Except for finger on the trigger I could do the rest with my friends Win 92 clone. I did not see that in his post anyway. I try not to read into things that are not there.

Like a Mini-14, Kel-Tec Sun 2000 or whatever its called and IIRC Beretta makes a 223 carbine. I would rather use my Marlin 9mm carbine than my AR.

Those would all be good too, hence/ "similar". However good the Marlin is, it is still not superior to the others for a host of reasons. Regardless, your situation might lend itself to being a better fit for your particulars. You would be a much better judge of that than me.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
I try not to read into things that are not there.
Not too sure what you mean by that.

ratshooter
January 15, 2013, 09:07 PM
If I am adding rounds I have my left hand on the forearm supporting the rifle/shotgun and my right hand doing the reloading.

Anyway I am done with this silly thread asking for the best 7 shot rifle for defense.

We are not there yet so there is no real answer to be had. NY is on its own and will have to fight its own battles. I will help if I can but I don't know how.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 10:28 PM
If I am adding rounds I have my left hand on the forearm supporting the rifle/shotgun and my right hand doing the reloading.
But what you fail to understand is, as I have said several times, the military and law enforcement training both taught me to keep my right hand in the firing position and shotgun either at the shoulder or tucked under the arm while loading with the left hand. That way even while loading you can cover your target and if something moves you can still shoot. It is really quite easy to master after a little practice. Instead of saying something that has been taught for years can't be done, why not give it a try and maybe you will learn something.

seeker_two
January 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
Rotate your levergun 45* to the left, reach over with your left hand, and load rounds through the gate. SASS shotgunners have run 1897 shotguns in a similar way for decades.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 11:08 PM
Completely agree. I never said you couldn't do it with a lever gun. There is still the part about rotating it 45deg to the left which makes it a little harder to keep on target than a pump shotgun. I never tried to start an argument here. I just agreed with someone who stated a fact about a pump shotgun or a lever gun (post #25 to be specific) and have had a few people who apparently don't know any better tell me I was wrong about something I was trained to do many years ago and have practiced ever since.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
The OP asked about a 7 shot RIFLE, not a shotgun. Thats why its in the rifle forum. I wondered how long it would take before someone didn't read the original post and suggested a shotgun. I didn't have long to wait.
Ratshooter, the OP specifically said "what rifle (or other long gun) would you pick and why". What do you suppose was meant by other long gun? Before ridiculing someone for not reading the OP, maybe you should read it yourself huh?

allaroundhunter
January 15, 2013, 11:16 PM

Bad form. Maintain a firing grip on the weapon and reload with your weak hand.

CTS
January 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
Thank you very much.

SC4006
January 16, 2013, 08:57 AM
I highly recommend a Barrett M107 with a 7 round mag. It's small easy to carry, the rounds have no chance of over-penetration. ;)

ratshooter
January 16, 2013, 09:30 AM
Ratshooter, the OP specifically said "what rifle (or other long gun) would you pick and why". What do you suppose was meant by other long gun? Before ridiculing someone for not reading the OP, maybe you should read it yourself huh?

Here ya go slappy. The title from the OPs original thread. Not a damn thing in it about a shotgun. He posted the question in the semi-auto RIFLE forum. If the OP wanted a shotgun there is a shotgun forum. Maybe you should try reading a little closer yourself.

Best Choice for HD Rifle With Only Seven Rounds

What do you suppose was meant by other long gun?

I don't like to try and second guess what the OP meant. I just go by what he wrote.

Alabama Shooter
January 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
I highly recommend a Barrett M107 with a 7 round mag. It's small easy to carry, the rounds have no chance of over-penetration.

You could use a 36GA shotgun with slugs it would be exactly the same, yet lighter. ;)

RedBowTies88
January 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
AR in .50 BEO

And don't bring up bayonettes, they're already illegal here (on a semi-auto) we don't need to give the rest of the states any ideas

Alabama Shooter
January 16, 2013, 11:28 AM
And don't bring up bayonettes, they're already illegal here (on a semi-auto) we don't need to give the rest of the states any ideas

WTH? :confused: Was there a spate of drive by bayonetings that called for this action?

RedBowTies88
January 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
WTH? Was there a spate of drive by bayonetings that called for this action?

Nope, just crooked polaticians Looking to disarm the people any way they can.

I mean who really needs bayonets right?:rolleyes:

More info here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC2iu3CTPc

customaquatics
January 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
a Sharps 45-70 cause how could it possibly be banned?

SR420
January 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
My .45-70 Guide Gun holds 6 rounds plus one in the chamber if I wish.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Enhanced-Guide-Gun_EGG.jpg

DTrain
January 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mossberg 464 SPX maybe? :D

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-lever-action-centerfire-464-spx/41026

tkglazie
January 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Any run of the mill .30-30 lever action would be a fine choice for home defense.

Old Grump
January 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
Already picked it a long time ago out of all my guns. My choice for defense is my Win 94, 32 Win spcl because its short, light, quick to mount, dead on accurate off hand out to 50 yards and I have a ton of ammo for it. Well more like 1600 rounds and triple that in clean once fired brass waiting for me to load it.

CTS
January 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Ratshooter ,real nice how you left out the fact that he later admitted that he alluded shotguns in his original post. You got some kind of reading problem or what?
From Alabama shooter Post#24:
I alluded to shotguns in my post in a non specific way.

ratshooter
January 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
Slappy. You are just not worth the effort to respond to any further. Welcome to my ignore list. You are all alone I'm afraid.

tkglazie
January 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
Good choice Old Grump. That was actually what I had in mind (love my model 94 .32spcl) but I went with .30-30 because they are so much more common.

L_Killkenny
January 16, 2013, 05:29 PM
I guess thats why I thought we were talking about rifles only. So maybe I didn't misread the OP after all.

Guess it helps to read the post then doesn't it? But never fear, whether or not he included "other long guns" he was gonna get shotgun and lever guns suggestions. Why? Same reason my answer to the question of "Best way to jump off a bridge?" is gonna be "don't do it". If someone ask a question regarding one option is it not only OK but also required that we point out a better option?

ratshooter
January 16, 2013, 05:45 PM
Killkinny I have read every post on here. Some several times. I beleive the OP started the thread in response to the new mag limit of 7 rounds for semi-autos imposed by the new york governor.

Once again in the original post he had no mention of shotguns. It took the OP 25 post to say he might be alluding to shotguns.

If the OP is open to any gun that only holds 7 rounds why not post the question in the general rifle section instead of the semi-auto forum?

And I am aware that that other guns will be suggested. It would just be nice if there wasn't so much thread drift.

Anyway, you guys have fun with it.

CTS
January 16, 2013, 07:13 PM
And yet you choose to ignore the part where he said in his original post. What rifle (or other long gun) would you choose and why. What exactly did you think he meant by other long gun? What other long guns are there besides rifles and shot guns. It is obvious what the OP meant right from the start and then he even said it himself in a later post so why are you arguing with me about it? Tough to admit you were wrong? Suck it up dude. It happens to all of us.
Once again in the original post he had no mention of shotguns. It took the OP 25 post to say he might be alluding to shotguns.
Made no mention of semi autos or lever guns either but that point seems to slip right by you.

EdInk
January 17, 2013, 08:14 PM
I would go for a lever gun.

yetavon
January 18, 2013, 08:11 AM
you wont need to worry about a gun for home defense. Uncle Barry will protect use by making new laws so criminals will obey them and we will be safe.....
AR with a 15 round mag with one round missing...
Yes sir....I had to reload