PDA

View Full Version : SKS - Best Sighting Arrangements

Alabama Shooter
January 8, 2013, 06:13 PM
I purchased SKS rifles with TAPCO stocks for my boys for Christmas. They seem unable to adapt to the leaf sights.

They have shot plenty with ghost rings and red dots and I was considering going one of those two routes. Does anyone have suggestions for a better sighting solution that lends itself to the application for the SKS rifle?

stu925
January 8, 2013, 09:54 PM
I'd look into these if I were going to upgrade my SKS sights.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Stu

tahunua001
January 8, 2013, 11:53 PM
I just bought the tech sights TS200 and was ringing gongs at 200 yards with my Chinese SKS. I'm not that great with irons so that is more than exemplary performance in my opinion.

Alabama Shooter
January 9, 2013, 12:23 AM
Those look suitable but seem expensive. I wonder if there is a cheaper option?

A folder would be nice too, to allow the use of a red dot up front.

tahunua001
January 9, 2013, 03:27 AM
a scope rail may work better and many that i see are in the $30 range but they seem like they hold the optic too high and too far to the rear for a proper chin weld...

Sgt Pepper
January 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
Ditto the Tech Sights. I installed these on two different Yugo's, and they worked great! Easy install. The only PITA with these sights is that the mounting screw replaces the receiver cover pin, which makes breaking down the rifle a little more complicated. Frankly however, there is no need to frequently field strip an SKS.

Hairbag
January 9, 2013, 06:45 PM
Do you leave the rear sight in and just add the tech sight??

tahunua001
January 9, 2013, 07:05 PM
Do you leave the rear sight in and just add the tech sight?? unfortunately you have to remove the existing sight

WildBill45
January 9, 2013, 07:28 PM
In my opine, whatever that is worth, I think you should train them to shoot the leaf sights until they do well!!!

Like learning to drive a Stick, old school sights is a worthy endeavor for new shooters! It makes them think, and that makes them better...

Alabama Shooter
January 9, 2013, 07:42 PM
Like learning to drive a Stick, old school sights is a worthy endeavor for new shooters! It makes them think, and that makes them better...

I might if they had not learned to shoot on other things and ammo were not so expensive these days. If they want to learn leaf sights they can do it on their own dime.

johnwilliamson062
January 9, 2013, 11:27 PM
I wonder if there is a cheaper option?
I don't think so. Even Tech sights are really a budget product with some shortcuts taken. The adjustments are not scientific. One click may be 1/2 MOA and the next may be 3/4MOA and then clicking back it may be 5/8MOA. Mine do hold zero well, just don't think you can keep a book of adjustments at yardages and reliably make the adjustments.

tahunua001
January 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
I don't think so. Even Tech sights are really a budget product with some shortcuts taken. The adjustments are not scientific. One click may be 1/2 MOA and the next may be 3/4MOA and then clicking back it may be 5/8MOA. Mine do hold zero well, just don't think you can keep a book of adjustments at yardages and reliably make the adjustments.
their QC must be getting better, my TS200 that I just put on my SKS was hitting about 2 inches right and 2 high at 25 yards and 16 clicks left and down put it in the bullseye and close enough to hit oxygen tanks at 200 yards. the thing is built like a tank, will probably last longer than the SKS.