PDA

View Full Version : Which AR should I Buy?

ttheel
January 7, 2013, 09:42 PM
I am looking to pick up my first AR before it is too late to do so. Given the difficult environment to be a buyer right now I understand that one may not get everything he wants. Which one of these AR's would you choose for the price? All are brand new.

PSA M4 Premium Carbine - $1200
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 - $1700
Colt Le6920 - $2000

I know, big prices but that is the way it is in todays climate.

Captains1911
January 7, 2013, 09:48 PM
Wait a few months and get the Colt. No way in hell though I'd pay more than $1200-$1250 for it.

Creeper
January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM
"Today's climate" won't last, so... what the Captain said. ;)

RamItOne
January 7, 2013, 09:56 PM
holy cr@p
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 - $1700 (gosh i hope its not the sport)
Colt Le6920 - $2000 ( I didnt like them at 1,100)

IF you seriously believe there will never be a time when you are legally able to purchase an AR15 then I would go with the PSA (good enough quality) and put the rest of the money towards the ridiculously priced ammo to go along with it

ttheel
January 7, 2013, 09:59 PM
"Today's climate" won't last, so... what the Captain said.

Do you really think so? They were banned once before, do you not think there is a good chance of it happening again?

CTS
January 7, 2013, 10:07 PM
When the ban was implemented in September 1994 the dems controlled both houses of the Congress. I have doubts that they can get anything even close to that restrictive of a ban passed today. If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.

slim9300
January 7, 2013, 11:34 PM
When the ban was implemented in September 1994 the dems controlled both houses of the Congress. I have doubts that they can get anything even close to that restrictive of a ban passed today. If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.

All it takes is a few weak Republicans to cave in the House and the "AR" and "high capacity mags" are gone forever (amongst other sweeping changes). If you don't think that's possible you haven't been listening to the news or talk radio. I have heard quite a few stanch conservatives (and republican congressmen) and self-proclaimed strong 2nd Amendment supporters calling for a supposed "middle ground" on gun control. They say, "Why does one need an AR, AK, high capacity magazine or thousands of rounds of ammo?" These are conservatives not just RINOs. I think we may be in bad shape this time.

I'm pretty sure the $200 tax and forfeiture of all "ARs" to the government upon your death, won't hold up in Congress, but that doesn't mean we're still not f-ed. Trust me when I say that I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adamantium
January 7, 2013, 11:58 PM
Politics aside, even if you buy a rifle right now what magazines will you use and what ammo are you going to shoot in it? Waiting for inflated prices to come down on one is waiting for the same on the others.

Auto426
January 8, 2013, 03:31 AM
Do you really think so? They were banned once before, do you not think there is a good chance of it happening again?

They weren't banned last time around. The AWB basically created a list of 5 military like features, and said that for a new weapon to be legal it could only have 2 of those 5 features. So gun companies dropped things like bayonet lugs and threaded barrels and suddenly the guns were legal again. The dems also lost a great deal of seats in congress by passing the bill, and me thinks they won't be so eager to enact any new legislation this time around.

But back to the original question, I agree with the others in saying hold out. A Colt 6920 is supposed to sell for right at $1000, and there is no sense in feeding the price gougers. Just give it a little time. Once this whole thing blows over and manufacturers can catch up on their back logs prices will come back down.

Stripeknight
January 8, 2013, 03:39 AM
I would probably go with the Colt personaly, I remember that last ban and for 10 years regretted not getting the gun I wanted. I was lucky that the ban passed. I for one think that it's risky either way. Buy a rifle and be mad in year if nothing passes, or be upset the rest of your life if they do pass possibly. There is another factor, If Obama passes the Nato sanction he could possibly pass up the congresional vote altogether from what I read.

Moby
January 8, 2013, 07:46 AM
If every single one of us do not contact ALL of our representatives and strongly voice our opions of this ban it will happen. Politians want ONE THING, reelection. Threaten that with enough voters and they vote the way their constituents want them to.

DO NOT WAIT FOR OTHERS TO WRITE!
You MUST get vocal. The left wins by being vocal.
WE MUST BE VOCAL!
Write, email, call. Get your friends to do the same!
The rights you save will be worth it.

TacticalDefense1911
January 8, 2013, 07:47 AM
The Colt is the best gun out of those three but that is a silly price. The PSA is still a Mil-Spec gun and by most accounts a very solid gun for the money. I'd go with the PSA and buy yourself some ammunition with the extra money. S&W seems to make a decent AR but for $500 more then the PSA and the fact that it is not Mil-Spec it wouldnt be my choice out of these three.

Pilot
January 8, 2013, 08:27 AM
If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.

I wouldn't bet on that. Look what "conservative" Justice Roberts did with the un-Constitutional Obamacare just because "he didn't wnat to be the one to strike it down", not that it violated the law. Pure personal "feelings" over the rule of law.

In addition, Obama may get to appoint TWO far left Supreme Court justices this term (like the previous two) which would shift the balance to very liberal. Then just about anything he does will be upheld.

Elections have consequences. Thanks Amerika.

Justice06RR
January 8, 2013, 11:32 PM
At those ridiculous prices, just go with the PSA and buy some ammo (if you can find them lol).

The Colt is great, but just way overpriced at this point in time.

Xfire68
January 8, 2013, 11:40 PM
I would have to agree. What are you going to shoot out of it? If you can find ammo in any good amounts the stuff is costing almost as much as the AR! Skip it for now and wait it out.

droptrd
January 9, 2013, 07:28 AM
Those prices are absolutley rediculous. Just be patient. 2K for a 6920:eek:

MMV.30
January 9, 2013, 09:39 AM
Wait. Then buy the Colt.

Fjblair
January 9, 2013, 06:49 PM
Really it's a crap shoot. In 6 months $2k for the Colt may have been a bargain. It's easy to say wait if you have an AR not so easy if you don't have one and want one. Or maybe it will all go away and the AR's will be cheap and plentiful.

Hairbag
January 9, 2013, 06:56 PM
That ship has sailed already!

Xfire68
January 9, 2013, 07:14 PM
It's easy to say wait if you have an AR

Yes I do have a AR but, I was looking to build a AR just for hunting when the panic set in.

I can not only not find a upper in 6.5 Grendel but, if I could I could not afford it!

I was lucky enough to buy mine when prices were at close to the lowest I have seen.

I feel bad for those that just bought AR's a month of so ago and only bought a few hundred rounds. They don't get to enjoy them like they should.

Grizz12
January 9, 2013, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't bet on that. Look what "conservative" Justice Roberts did with the un-Constitutional Obamacare just because "he didn't wnat to be the one to strike it down", not that it violated the law. Pure personal "feelings" over the rule of law.

In addition, Obama may get to appoint TWO far left Supreme Court justices this term (like the previous two) which would shift the balance to very liberal. Then just about anything he does will be upheld.

+1000

pturner67
January 9, 2013, 08:00 PM
I think you're mistaken if you think the panic will die down. Did you see the news today?

Vice President Joseph R. Biden vowed action on gun control from President Obama on Wednesday and floated the idea that Mr. Obama could use executive action to do so.
“The president is going to act,” Mr. Biden said, speaking briefly before a meeting with gun safety and gun victims’ groups Wednesday. “There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet. But we’re compiling it all with the help [of] the attorney general and all the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action we believe is required.”

slim9300
January 9, 2013, 08:09 PM
I think you're mistaken if you think the panic will die down. Did you see the news today?

Vice President Joseph R. Biden vowed action on gun control from President Obama on Wednesday and floated the idea that Mr. Obama could use executive action to do so.
“The president is going to act,” Mr. Biden said, speaking briefly before a meeting with gun safety and gun victims’ groups Wednesday. “There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet. But we’re compiling it all with the help [of] the attorney general and all the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action we believe is required.”

I agree with your point 100%. This is not "blowing over."

If Obama takes "executive action" on anything related to firearms he had better be prepared for very bad things. I hope that idiot is just posturing. Scary times. Just picked up another 1500 rounds of ammo today. "Panicking" seems like a legitimate outlet to me. :(

Catfishman
January 9, 2013, 08:20 PM
All it takes is a few weak Republicans to cave in the House and the "AR" and "high capacity mags" are gone forever (amongst other sweeping changes). If you don't think that's possible you haven't been listening to the news or talk radio. I have heard quite a few stanch conservatives (and republican congressmen) and self-proclaimed strong 2nd Amendment supporters calling for a supposed "middle ground" on gun control. They say, "Why does one need an AR, AK, high capacity magazine or thousands of rounds of ammo?" These are conservatives not just RINOs.

What Republicans said this?

BigD_in_FL
January 9, 2013, 08:52 PM

Yep, and it seems a lot of gun owners did not vote their RKBA rights, so the OP may not get a chance the way the antis are really trying to push through a law. They did it with obamacare, this will be easy, too many believe the current media lies

sigcurious
January 9, 2013, 08:53 PM
@OP, depending on where are you are it might be worth your while to check in a larger radius. One of my LGSs they still have plenty of ARs a lot of them still at pretty normal prices, not so much in the ammo and mags though.

Blue Duck
January 9, 2013, 08:58 PM
OK, here's the deal. You have waited too long for a good deal on an AR. Sure they may come down in a few months, but then again, we are in new country here, and you might not be able to get one, period in a little while. Ask yourself if you even need one, and if you do and have the money, get the Colt, but only if you have money left for ammo.

As an alternative, you might be better off to go buy a couple of Glock 22's and maybe a Glock 17 or 19 and some extra mags and ammo. If it gets really restrictive, a few extra pistols may be better in the long run then an AR. A good boltaction or leveraction sporter will probably serve you as well as the AR, anyway.

slim9300
January 9, 2013, 09:21 PM
What Republicans said this?

Michael Medved and David Bose were the two talk show hosts I heard on "Conservative" talk radio. The channel is 770 KTTH.

The two Republican congressmen I heard were on Fox News but I can't recall their names. They were followed by Pete Sessions saying how stupid it would be to eliminate ARs and high cap mags and that the point was to protect the people from Tyranny. Too bad more politicians don't understand the point of the 2nd Amendment.

tgreening
January 9, 2013, 11:23 PM
Blah blah. My guess is Bidens statements are an attempt to get people stirred up in an attempt to keep this issue "hot". There have been other news articles claiming the White House is already having trouble keeping Congress interested in this matter. Given the publics short attention span, and the governments tendency to focus on the latest issue of the moment, this is no surprise.

Do a search on Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell where he claims the Senate won't even be taking a look at this issue for at least 3 months.

My personal opinion is that right at this moment, this is an issue that is in no way a win-win for supporters of increased gun control. The politicians stand a real chance of alienating as many voters as they might gain, if not more so, and politicians being politicians votes are rather special to them. :) I don't see that you can claim votes aren't an issue because Obama is done. Many Dems will still be looking at reelection and they will be guilty by association.

Look who's in charge, VP Biden. No offense to him personally but politically and historically speaking the position of VP has been about one of the most useless positions imaginable. I believe he's in charge so the Dems can appear to be "on the job" on an issue they are hoping is going to quietly (more or less) go away so they don't have to stick their necks out too far.

Boy hasn't this gone way off-topic from "Which AR should I buy"?

Northslope Nimrod
January 10, 2013, 10:11 AM
Be patient and pray for Congress. Then buy at normal prices.
The Colt is good at $1200. Personally, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P and have no complaints. When things settle down, I'm going to pick up a S&W Sport, maybe two....if and when they are selling for $650-700 again.

Fishbed77
January 10, 2013, 11:45 AM
Too bad more politicians don't understand the point of the 2nd Amendment.

Most of them understand the point of the 2nd Amendment quite well.

They just don't want the rest of us to understand it.

slim9300
January 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
Most of them understand the point of the 2nd Amendment quite well.

They just don't want the rest of us to understand it.

You are probably right. The people of this country are another story however. I would say with confidence that the majority of people are clueless. Guns are for hunting and home defense, right?

Xaak
January 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
Some would reply the available one...

I think that if you look at how poorly Congress managed to put bills through last year, the worst Congress ever, I think you will see more of the same now as the parties posture for control. The no new income tax, wait, we got a payroll tax however, which is based on a percentage of your "income", is one that the liars cannot hide. There is also a growing support this time for working against the bans presented. Not just because they are so ridiculous on the left side, but because the last time Feinstein presented a bill that got through, no one thought it seriously had a chance, AND NOT AS MANY PEOPLE WHO NEEDED TO SPEAK UP, DID!

Do not become a victim to your government. While all of us mourn the losses of mass shootings, we also have to realize like Jesse Ventura said, he goes home and does not find his guns just firing on their own.

Its also about time that some of these wishy washy people in Washington learn that we are watching and we will not forgive. Don't screw us of our 2nd Amendment right on the mercy of some children. The idiot who did that would have done what he had to so he could get his 15 minutes on CNN that turned into the reports of why we don't need guns.

Man, I hate that I always get my shorts in a bunch and when it used to be just good fun to talk about mods, guns, ammo tests, I now am all about getting my elected officials to do what they said they would to get my vote. Right now typing these thoughts I am taking fingers... screw with my rights and I will take arms.

Catfishman
January 12, 2013, 09:38 PM
Look who's in charge, VP Biden. No offense to him personally but politically and historically speaking the position of VP has been about one of the most useless positions imaginable. I believe he's in charge so the Dems can appear to be "on the job" on an issue they are hoping is going to quietly (more or less) go away so they don't have to stick their necks out too far.
Tgreening
That's a very good point. I wouldn't ask Biden to handle something I was dead set on winning.