PDA

View Full Version : new Saiga 308, what do i need for it?

JackBeQuick
January 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
This is my first semi auto riffle. I got a new Saiga 308, what do i need for it?

Mike38
January 6, 2013, 09:20 PM
Rear aperture sight would be the first thing. If you want to go with high cap mags, be aware of 922r laws. You can see the laws at the forum at www.saiga-12.com

JackBeQuick
January 6, 2013, 09:55 PM
Now I am very confused.
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. So the way I read it, If I leave it completely stock it is legal. If I modify it to add a pistol grip then i need to swap out enough parts to make it legal?

chris in va
January 7, 2013, 08:55 PM
Yes.

As mentioned, the Saiga-12 board is an excellent resource.

Dr Big Bird PhD
January 7, 2013, 09:28 PM
So it doesn't matter if the rifle functions exactly the same, as long as a majority of the parts aren't from Russia?

WHO WRITES THESE LAWS

Mike38
January 7, 2013, 09:54 PM
So it doesn't matter if the rifle functions exactly the same, as long as a majority of the parts aren't from Russia?

That's the way it is. :confused:

On my Saiga, I installed a USA made forearm, and can now use high cap mags, as long as the mags are made in the USA. If I used Russian mags, I'd have to change out 3 other parts. Mags count as 3 parts, body, follower and floor plate. Go figure :confused:

slim9300
January 7, 2013, 11:38 PM
Good info. I had no idea. This is my next purchase (if they ever come back).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbob86
January 7, 2013, 11:42 PM
I got a new Saiga 308, what do i need for it?

A handloading set-up, a reloading bench, and an inexpensive source for bulk components. :D

bigghoss
January 8, 2013, 09:44 AM
A US-made fore end and some of these
http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-Saiga-.308/Categories.bok

Converting them over to standard AK configuration is pretty easy. Got a pistol grip and Ace folding stock on mine now. It's a beast.

jackpine
January 8, 2013, 11:25 PM
ammo, mags and a place to shoot it!

JackBeQuick
January 9, 2013, 10:08 PM
not much luck finding anywhere with anything in stock