PDA

View Full Version : Building an upper - headspace issues

JustinBiscuit
January 5, 2013, 06:12 PM
I am putting together a parts list for an upper build. I think that I am going to buy Krieger barrel and let them chamber and head space the barrel to my bolt.

My question is how does one deal with fitting when they buy parts a piece together? Krieger mentions mil-spec on their site, would one just buy all mil-specs parts?

Marquezj16
January 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
The headspace is set by the manufacturer when they add the feed ramp and pin it. You can only check the headspace with a go or no go gauge.

CTS
January 5, 2013, 07:13 PM
My question is how does one deal with fitting when they buy parts a piece together? Krieger mentions mil-spec on their site, would one just buy all mil-specs parts?
The only place it should matter is with the stock. If you are building a carbine and use a commercial receiver extension (AKA buffer tube) you will need a commercial stock to fit it and vice versa: if you buy mil spec tube, you need mil spec stock. If you are using A1 or A2 stock even that doesn't matter. Everything else should fit together regardless of whether it is mil spec or commercial.

Palmetto-Pride
January 6, 2013, 12:49 AM
Out of spec headspace is virtually nonexistent in AR-15 barrels. I suppose if you had a bolt and a barrel that were very out of spec in the opposite sides of the spectrum then maybe there would be a problem, but to my knowledge that has never been a problem.