PDA

View Full Version : Single Action AR?

UtopiaTexasG19
January 1, 2013, 01:42 PM
If one were to remove the gas block, gas tube and bolt key from a AR would it still technically be a semi-automatic rifle or a single shot?

9mm
January 1, 2013, 01:48 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOW1aUPbRNAO6XAdTwogNASDHnCWkS3h7Qf-7N-1V-798ck2Hbyw

Yes IIRC somewhere in other countries they buy AR's but they are single shot, 5 box shot magazine hunting rifles. I think when the 94-04 ban was in place people bought AR's that were single shot ?

T.Stahl
January 1, 2013, 01:57 PM
That's what HK did for the Australian version of the SL8.
As semi-auto rifles are banned, they removed the gas block, piston and rod and turned the SL8 into a straight-pull bolt-action.

Willie Lowman
January 1, 2013, 02:06 PM
I recall seeing pump action AR rifles from DPMS

stingray2100
January 1, 2013, 03:36 PM
ok so here are my 2 cents.

The appeal of the AR and it versatility is the semi-automatic feature. Not really the look of it.

Why spend money on a single shot AR...at that point get a bolt action rifle and get really good at working that bolt fast. :confused:

Ridge_Runner_5
January 1, 2013, 08:25 PM
Yeah, if you need a .223 gun in bolt action, there are some much better options out there that cost less and are less bulky.

Metal god
January 1, 2013, 09:51 PM
I would think to pass the AWB test . That single action AR would need to be permanently altered and not just removing parts so it does not operate in semi auto . My guess would be a barrel with out the hole for the gas system in it .

jimbob86
January 1, 2013, 10:14 PM
IME, there's a cheaper way to make an AR style rifle into a straight pull bolt action: a light coat of break free in dusty envirinment ..... don't clean it...... you'll need the forward assist to get the bolt closed, though. :D

power5
January 1, 2013, 10:21 PM
As far as I knew, ar15 are not permanently incapable of being m4s. Just put the select fire bits in place of the semi bits.

CTS
January 1, 2013, 10:35 PM
As far as I knew, ar15 are not permanently incapable of being m4s. Just put the select fire bits in place of the semi bits.
Won't do any good without a gas tube. :D

10-96
January 1, 2013, 10:47 PM
One sour rub of the whole thing is the serial number- it'll forever more and always be registered by the manufacturer as a SA-rifle.

Ridge_Runner_5
January 2, 2013, 12:41 AM

You would still need to put a hole in the receiver for the cam gear to be installed.