PDA

View Full Version : dirty ammo

modoc58
December 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
i have some korean 30-06 ammo that feels and looks dirty. how can i clean these rounds the easiest>

UtopiaTexasG19
December 31, 2012, 09:52 AM
Do you have a tumbler and some corn cob media? Otherwise it can be cleaned by hand if necessary.

Tidewater_Kid
December 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
If these are live rounds, I would not tumble them. That could lead to a very bad day. You can wipe them down with a rag. Post pictures and we'll be able to tell you more.

TK

UtopiaTexasG19
December 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
Live rounds have been dry tumbled for the last 50+ years with no problems to get the sizing lubricants off the surface. Go to any of the re-loading forums for more information or to he "Re-loading" section of this forum.

tahunua001
December 31, 2012, 01:06 PM
tumblers are good and easy.

alcohol and fine steel wool would also work.

Metal god
December 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
Although I have not started reloading yet .I have been doing some reading on the subject . I agree that you might want to move this thread to the reloading area of this forum . Dirty bullets may not just be dirty and that "dirt" can be an indicator of a bigger problem with the ammo . You should post some pictures of more then just one of the bullets that gives a good representation of the lot .

Xfire68
December 31, 2012, 01:58 PM
If these are live rounds, I would not tumble them.

As stated above it is completely safe to tumble loaded ammo.

I have tumbled 1000's of rounds. :rolleyes:

UtopiaTexasG19
December 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Pictures would be good. What you are calling "dirty" may just be annealing done to certain areas of the cases. Many rounds produced for military use are not polished after annealing and the brass can look pretty poor.

tahunua001
December 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
+1^^^
for a long time I thought that annealed brass was dirty once fired brass but then found out that the discoloration is just from strengthening the case near the neck and shoulder.

Tidewater_Kid
January 1, 2013, 11:52 AM
I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not concerned about detonating rounds in the tumbler, but tumbling unknown rounds with unknown powders is a bad idea. Newly loaded rounds are fine to tumble clean, but old Korean surplus, I would not tumble clean. I would again ask the OP to post pictures and tell us head stamps.

TK

Mike38
January 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
for a long time I thought that annealed brass was dirty once fired brass but then found out that the discoloration is just from strengthening the case near the neck and shoulder.

Actually, annealing softens the brass.