ratrodney
December 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Just wanted thoughts....good...bad??? RR

Hairbag
December 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Try the search button you will find plenty

dgludwig
December 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
I like them a lot. Reliable, well-made in America from a company that stands by their products. For use as a handy, close-quarters carbine, I prefer the Mini to any AR-15 iteration (and I do have both).

rickyrick
December 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
What do you intend to use it for?
Any utilitarian role it would be perfect, although, by most accounts it won't make dime sized groups.

It's my favorite rifle.

However Bill Ruger is not here to keep it out of the attempted AWB, but that remains to be seen.

If you are a decent marksmen and don't have any preconceived notions on the accuracy, you'll love it.

Art Eatman
December 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
I've had four of the early models, way back when. I put a Weaver K4 on them. I found that the first shot always did horrible things to coyotes and jackrabbits. Generally, I figured the first three shots would group about 1.5 MOA, which was plenty good enough for a hunting rifle.

Nine the Ranger
December 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
I love my Mini-14

Good, light, handy little carbine.

Accuracy is pretty good on them (580+) I can't speak for the older ones.

Runs like a top with anything I've fed it too.

jmortimer
December 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
As reliable as it gets. Handy and effective. New ones are more accurate.

Strafer Gott
December 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm glad to have one. Mine is the later model with the Hogue stock. It came with 2 twenty round mags. I hope they keep doing that. I am thinking about another one, if the prices don't stink when they emerge again.

DATL
December 29, 2012, 01:45 AM
Love em! Can't wait to get my own! I have shot plenty with a newer one my buddy has- and I have had NO accuracy or reliability issues with his.

Z400ACDC
December 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
I bought a SS 580 series in November with Leupold 3-9x40 for $700. I added a Accu-Strut. It shoots great!!!!

stu925
December 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
Excellent quality rifle, shoots well in the 580+ series. Mine averages around 2" @ 100yds with factory ammo and 1.5" with handloads. I have had zero malfunctions with mine in the 2 years I've owned it. Did a polish of the engagement surfaces in the trigger group and re-torqued the gas block screws and that's about all the work I've done to it.

Stu

jmfc606
December 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Older ones shot pretty terrible. Newer ones serial # 580- and above shoot better. Prices were around $700 before the panic. Who knows what they are going for now.

bigdaddy123
December 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have a 580+ ranch rifle and love it.I've had 2 AR 15 and sold both,never did like the feel of the ar,but they are a bit more accurate.My Mini shoots 1 1/2"-2" groups at 100 yards.It's not a sniper rifle by any means,it does all I need it to do.

Z400ACDC
December 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
There are several bolt rifles that does not shoot any better.

Adamantium
December 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
I like my Mini 14 and like to think they were a good value before the panic. I managed to get an order in for a dozen 30rd mags a couple days before the panic buying hit full stride so I am locked into the platform for the long run. Mine is an older one that uses one of the bolt on accuracy enhancers. It cost me just over $500 for everything.

If there was a $700 piston driven AR that was reliable, long lasting, battlefield accurate and had a good company standing behind it when something goes wrong people would be standing in line to buy one and arguing online that it's flaws don't detract from the rifles intended use. Slap a wood stock on it, call it a Mini and suddenly it has lost it's luster.

Bamashooter
December 30, 2012, 03:37 AM
Got my 580 series with thin barrel profile in 2007. Had a trigger job done, added an accustrut, and put it in a tapco stock. With handloads it shoots 1.5-2'' groups@100yrds. Best group being 1.25''. The mini-14 is a solid little rifle. I doubt I would buy one at the current inflated price. Hopefully this nonsense wont last to long.

mr.t7024
December 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
Got a 580 series last Christmas from the Mrs. Aweesome rifle. I was told by the folks at Ruger if I shoot foreign rounds out of it it will void the warranty. So I shoot Federals. Buy it, you will be pleased!:) Cliff

johnnydollar
December 31, 2012, 12:10 AM
I love mine. Light, handy, reliable--the Mini-14 is a great little rifle.

armsmaster270
December 31, 2012, 12:37 AM
Love them but I traded mine for a Garand

Ralph Allen
December 31, 2012, 10:19 PM
I have an older Mini 14 that the serial # starts 184. Guess it's a terrible shooter, but I'm sure there are MANY prarie dogs that would argue the fact. Handloaded with H335 and Hornady SXSP's it is accurate enough, even with it's evil flash hider! Figure if I can nail something as small as a prarie dog offhand at 100 yards or more, then it shoots well enough for me.
Ralph

BOPLEO
December 31, 2012, 10:46 PM
great guns. may make it past the ban since not a black ifle

kayakersteve
December 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
Normally, with a rifle like this, I would suggest an older model to beat any potential AWB issues. But with the mini 14, go with the newer models to get significantly better accuracy. I have the NRA commemorative model and absolutely love it.

fishhawk
January 1, 2013, 09:06 AM
MINI-14/model# 5801 5.56 NATO ,i can speak to this model,you can run 500 rounds through this gun with little trouble ,and any jam is easy to clear. much easier to clear then an AR,and it will not bite you.
i do not thank an AR will run 500 rounds back to back with no problem if it is not wet, not so with the mini.
i would stick with factory mags though almost all of the jams i have had are with after market mags.
IMHO (and it is my HO) the new minis are as accurate and much easier to maintain then an AR i thank a lot of the problem with the mini 14 is the AR just looks cooler AND THE OLDER MODEL MINIS HAD REAL ACCURACY PROBLEMS but i thank the new mini will out run an AR day in and day out,with a lot less maintenance.
look before all the AR guys jump on this old man,let me say as a 64 yr old Vietnam vet the AR IS A FINE PLATFORM ,but just like a good looking woman it is high maintenance .

UtopiaTexasG19
January 1, 2013, 11:07 AM
To: kayakersteve

"Normally, with a rifle like this, I would suggest an older model to beat any potential AWB issues."

Steve, I don't understand your statement. If there is a serious AWB why would the older semi's not be included?

Adamantium
January 1, 2013, 03:21 PM
The Mini will escape a ban unscathed if it is the same as the 1994 one. The magazines won't but the gun itself will. If OTOH something along the lines of a bullet button gets passed the Mini is probably boned.

buymore
January 1, 2013, 07:30 PM
Standard configuration has no pistol grip so it should escape a ban if like the previous ban. As far as pricing.....I bought one just the other day for $650 locally off Craigslist. Still have enough to buy my Service Grade M1 from CMP store now!

I posted a WANTED "mini 14 or Mini 30" on Craigslist and a guy contacted me immediately with the offer for two SS underfolders...wanted over $1300 each. Then another guy an hour later emailed me with offer for like new Ranch Rifle . It is a like new rifle 195 Series from 1996 and it is like new! Said he bought for Ground hog hunting and never used it. Said only fired a few rounds through it and it looks like it. Only bad part of it is that it only came with one 5 rd mag. I ordered two NEW Ruger Factory 20 rders from Copes for $40 each and should be here by the weekend. I shot it the other day when I was sighting in my muzzleloader and it was decent. This is the older style with thin straight barrel, but at 50 yds offhand I had 2" groups with cheap UMC. I'm happy enough, got it for pretty much going rate before the frenzy!

Check Armslist out....plenty of good deals out there. The newer 580+ series do have better accuracy reports, but some of the older ones do ok too. I'm sure if I used some good handloads and used my leadsled I could get it to around 2" or less at 100 yds. Much more reliable platform than any AR15!

rickyrick
January 1, 2013, 08:48 PM
Funny thing about those 5rd mags. I use it most of the time now. The 30rd mags just get in the way when hunting. Would like to find a 10 and try it.

ratshooter
January 1, 2013, 09:33 PM
RickyRick I agree. I went to my buddies land and took my mini with a 20 round mag and that thing stabbed me in the back all day long. A 5 rounder or even a 10 round mag would have been a better choice. I really need a couple of 10 round mags.

You can modify a 5 round mag to hold an extra round so that with one in the pipe and 6 in the mag you have 7 rounds on board. Just so you know.

buymore
January 2, 2013, 03:15 AM
how did you modify it? Maybe try that myself.

Ignition Override
January 2, 2013, 04:22 AM
"Perfectunion.com", for numerous forums on the Mini 14, 30 and 6.8 versions.
They also have a forum for magazine topics.

ratshooter
January 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
how did you modify it? Maybe try that myself.

Take the mag apart and there is a flag on the bottom of the follower that can be removed. My Marlin Camp Carbine came with a 4 round mag that had a flag about 3" long. I cut that off and now the mag holds 12 rounds.

Strafer Gott
January 2, 2013, 02:52 PM
I really like the flush fit five round mags. I can tote my mini just like a 10-22.
It actually pretty much looks like one as well because of the non flash hider muzzle. IF IT GETS WEIRD, this might be a factor. Imagine having to weld in the magazine and feed it with stripper clips!

MK11
January 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
Any options for sights? I've got an older one (circa 1995) and I really hate the pin-prick hole in the rear sight. I understand precision with a smaller peep but this is definitely not a precision rifle. I'd like something that allows a quicker sight picture.

Strafer Gott
January 2, 2013, 03:00 PM
You might have to change the rear sight assembly out for a new one. Supposedly the rear sight on the new ones has been improved, but I don't know when the change went in.

rantingrelentlessly
January 2, 2013, 09:28 PM
I have a very nice AR15 and I prefer my Mini14. You will read a lot of bad stuff online but the mini was redesigned a few years back and im here to tell you the accuracy issues have been eliminated. Buy a new mini and you will not be disapointed.

garyvale
January 4, 2013, 07:49 PM
I love my Minim14 Ranch Rifle. One should be a part of everyone's collection, IMHO....
But I've got too many guns, guitars and gadgets according to my wife, so anything I say is probably wrong.

rickyrick
January 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Ok here's a 5rd group I shot after adding the muzzle brake. It was only a "walked off" 100yds so you can +/- a few yards.
55gr hornaday vmax. Good enough for my purposes.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85809&stc=1&d=1357493230

wyobohunter
January 6, 2013, 02:26 PM
The pic above tends to disagree with my admittedly limited experience. I haven't found them to be very accurate. Then again, I've never shot a redesigned Mini. If I didn't already own a very accurate AR I spose I might consider a newer one.

rickyrick
January 6, 2013, 02:42 PM
It's a newer one, 2009 581 with premium ammo. I'll give you the fact that its not that tight with plinking ammo. First round on a coyote always makes its mark. That's also one year with only a bore snake ran thru it occaisionaly.

I had to take the rifle apart to install a muzzle brake, then of course re zero.

It was shot prone supported with a range bag and rolled up jacket for extra support. The rifle was fairly warm.

Skans
January 7, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mini-14's are good solid .223 rifles. The stainless Mini-14 used to be pretty standard for a boat gun (lots of people keep them on their yachts and sail boats around where I live). They are not (in my opinion) worth more than $700, and I consider that price high. Saw them with $1,000 price tags on them at a gun show this weekend.

Art Eatman
January 7, 2013, 10:22 AM
MK11, drill out the hole in the rear sight if it's too small. Do it in small steps, until you're satisfied.

TMD
January 7, 2013, 10:49 AM
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/tmd11111/IMAG0556_zps57bda35e.jpg

I own almost a dozen AR's but I have a special fondness for my Tactical model.