PDA

View Full Version : AR

rmocarsky
December 28, 2012, 03:11 AM
Gunners,

I don't own an AR.

The only military style rifle I own is an SKS paratrooper.

And this may be a stupid question, but with all the NOISE about ARs it occurred to me that I do not know what AR stands for (if anything).

Does it?

rmocarsky

Chowder
December 28, 2012, 03:56 AM
I may be wrong but I was told AR meant Armalite.

ROCK6
December 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah, unfortunately most would think it's an acronym for "Assault Rifle", but it does stand for ArmaLite Rifle from the original ArmaLite company established in the 1950's.

ROCK6

CTS
December 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Actually it has been my understanding that it just stands for ARmalite.

Technosavant
December 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
It's ARmalite. When Eugene Stoner developed the design he was working for Armalite, a division of Fairchild Industries. IIRC, it is not the same Armalite that exists today.

Quentin2
December 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
As others have said, AR stands for ArmaLite not ArmaLite Rifle. It's easy to demonstrate this as the old company also had the AR-17 which was a shotgun! The new ArmaLite also sells pistols that have an AR prefix.

RC20
December 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Technically an assault rifle is select fire (which translates into semi automatic and automatic).

I do think that the ARs, AKs etc are assault rifles for practical purposes. The general public, is not going to see the nuance (nor care).

They are black, they have 30 round magazines and they match up identically with their full auto counterparts. I think we are better off discussions it on the basis of what they are (at the least semi automatic.)

The attempt has been to call them MSR (modern sporting rifles)

A camoed Remington with a 10 round magazine would maybe pass and yes there are variations with calibers large enough to be true hunting guns (deer and pig on through Elk with the 308 versions.

Hairbag
December 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Americas rifle!

CTS
December 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
I do think that the ARs, AKs etc are assault rifles for practical purposes. The general public, is not going to see the nuance (nor care).
Please offer an explanation of what makes any rifle an assault rifle.
I entered the US Army and was issued and M16A1 in 1976 and never heard of the term assault rifle or assault weapon till right around 1994.
A 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-fired weapon.

This is the description the military uses today with the only difference beign that they added 3 round burst instead of fully automatic. I don't see anything about Assault rifle or Assault weapon. Assault Rifle is the basic translation of the German STG (sturmgewehr) 44 during WWII.

Mobuck
December 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
RC20, you need to be somewhere else.
A semiauto rifle CANNOT be an "assault rifle". Like was previously posted, a real assault rifle MUST have full auto capability(among other features). W/o that FA, no amount of cosmetic add-ons will change it.
Until we get agressive with correcting these kind of terminology transgressions, the foolish uninformed masses of blubber will continue to flog us.

RC20
December 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
With all due respect, to attempt to convert someones thinking from a pre conceived notion is spitting in the wind.

And the reality is the guns we are talking about are so close that most people do no care about the nuance.

I have had experience with that. I am from Alaska. My first trip stateside with my AK plates I was asked at the gas stations about igloos, covered with ice, dark all year long etc (in those days you did not gas up your own rig)

I politely tried to talk to them and tell them it was not like that. After the third fight I realized I was spitting in the wind and quit.

You can vigorously defend to your hearts content and you will hit that same stone wall.

If we are going to have a conversation with people who view them as assault weapons (and with good reason) you have to have to develop different tactics.

Regardless of how you feel about gay marriage, after the defeat of that in Maine, the LBGT community looked at why they lost and saw if they could change rural attitudes they would pass it.

They did not go head on, they engaged those rural people in a conversation about how the voter felt and developed a dialog based on their response how they felt. Its a lessons in what works and what does not

I am having that same conversation with my wife. She feels differently than I do and I not only have to, I do respect that. I respect the right of everyone in this country to have their view and will discuss it with them if they respect mine.

tahunua001
December 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
AR meant armalite and now even though there are literally dozens of companies that make the design or similar enough to share some parts with it, are, as a group, referred to as AR15s though the actual model numbers vary from company to company.

Shane Tuttle
December 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
The question has been answered. And after all the deletions of off-topic and liberal slants, this ones' closed.