PDA

View Full Version : Interesting experience with new 5.56 ammo

mitranoc
December 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
Went to the range today to try out some new ammo. Bought 1000 rounds of 62gr Lake City FMJ 5.56 loaded from BVAC. It seemed to be an accurate and clean shooting round. But every now and then a tracer would go down range from my AR? So if there's no red mark on the bullet, how else would you know if it's a tracer round? I'm hoping that there's not a lot of these mixed in there??

Double Naught Spy
December 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
This is their remanufactured ammo? Sounds like you have mixed slugs.

Contact BVAC.

Mike38
December 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
I’d be contacting the seller. At the range I shoot at, one tracer round, even if by accident, will get you banned for life. M855 is supposed to have green tips, I think. At least the case I have does. But I know that there is M855 made by a Danish company that has no colored markings at all. Maybe you got some remanufactured rounds and some tracers got mixed in? I would not be happy.

mitranoc
December 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
I would not be happy.

No I am not happy at all! I sent BVAC an email, and copied Firequest (where it was purchased from). And ironically enough there was a brush fire behind the hill at the range yesterday. I am imagining that since it was behind the hill, that it probably wasn't me? Regardless, it seems kind of ironic, and I still feel somewhat at fault. The range had to be closed for a couple of hours to contain and extinguish. Again, not happy at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmG8-eD3uZ8

Double Naught Spy
December 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
If that was while you were shooting, then the possibility is there that you were the unintentional culprit. Skips/ricochets/deflections can end up places such as on the opposite side of the berm. Simply put, the slug hits something that causes a mortar trajectory ricochet and it end up in places other than the intended impact zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F7HDUwrMEs

mitranoc
December 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Great video! I wish I had a place to shoot them safely.

In response to my email, the manufacturer called me earlier today. They were very apologetic, and assured me that the retailer was well aware that most of these rounds were tracers.:mad: They are going to swap out my rounds, and send me what I originally paid for.:)

Double Naught Spy
December 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Great that they are taking care of you. How was the ammo packaged?

tahunua001
December 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
that sounds pretty serious, I would contact them and tell them the lot number so they can have them pulled, tracers are not only banned from many ranges and can have you kicked out of your local range but in some states they are even illegal and during just the right time of year they can be a serious fire hazard.

mitranoc
December 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
. How was the ammo packaged

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/cmitrano1/IMG957291_zps5b4c6028.jpg

mitranoc
December 25, 2012, 08:04 AM
I would contact them and tell them the lot number so they can have them pulled, tracers are not only banned from many ranges and can have you kicked out of your local range but in some states they are even illegal and during just the right time of year they can be a serious fire hazard.

I sent them a copy of the receipt, which had all of the information that they needed.

Double Naught Spy
December 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
Let me rephrase, what did the packaging look like on the outside? What does the label say?

It seems rather odd that BVAC would distribute ammo mixed with tracers in it (which would not all be 62 gr) and not have it properly labelled. BVAC says Firequest knew the ammo contained tracers. So did Firequest package the ammo or did BVAC?

mitranoc
December 25, 2012, 09:02 AM
The outer packaging said Firequest. It was pro grade ammo that contacted me after I emailed BVAC. I'm not sure who did what in the process? Pro grade said that Firequest was responsible for packaging.

Double Naught Spy
December 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
That is just bizarre and wrong on so many levels.

However, it says a lot that they are taking care of you. Very good for BVAC.

mitranoc
December 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
I agree. What a half a _ _ operation! I'm at least glad they're sending me what I originally paid for. Still a huge hassle! :mad: Won't do business there again, and the BBB will hear about this.

Uncle Malice
December 25, 2012, 07:49 PM
Never worked with Firequest at all, but I've used BVAC ammo for a long time. Very good stuff. I've use their 9mm, 40, 45, and 5.56 stuff...

I definitely wouldn't stop ordering BVAC ammo... but maybe order from another retailer. In the past, I used to use Cheaper Than Dirt.... although after last weeks shenanigans, I'd prefer to not do business with CTD anymore.

I understand the frustration... but I would personally love to get tracers in with my order. heh...

mitranoc
December 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
I definitely wouldn't stop ordering BVAC ammo

It wasn't BVAC's doing, so I don't have a problem with them.

I understand the frustration... but I would personally love to get tracers in with my order. heh...

Actually, I'd be psyched if the tracers were red tipped, so I'd know which is which. There's no way to differentiate the two unfortunately...and I already started one fire too many with them.

mitranoc
December 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Upon further review, with the right lighting, you can see where the red paint was removed. Otherwise in everyday lighting the tips just look scratched and/or tarnished.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/cmitrano1/Tracers_zps02622c97.jpg

Double Naught Spy
December 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Since you said it was Lake City 62 gr slugs, my guess is that they were 62 gr green tip penetrator rounds. So can you tell the difference between green v. red tipped slugs where the paint has been removed?

mitranoc
December 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Prograde ammo sent a door tag yesterday for me to return the case, and will be sending the correct rounds. At least the customer service has been good.

mitranoc
December 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
I counted one half of the box.

253 -tracer
165 - Non tracer

Shot @ 2 1/2 30 round mags last weeknd. About 1/3 were tracers.

BVAC told me 4-6 weeks for replacement.

Unreal:confused:

Double Naught Spy
December 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Were the 62 gr. Lake City rounds penetrator rounds? If so, then they should have had green tips just like the tracers should have had red tips.

mitranoc
December 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
No penetrators, according to firequest they were the 62gr winchester FMJ, winchester primers, with hodgdon powder.