PDA

View Full Version : When the storm blows over: How about a Ruger SR556?

farmboy
December 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
I finally learned my lesson, I hope not too late. When the current storm blows over, and prices deflate to relative normal, I'm thinking about buying a Ruger SR556.

Any opinions on this rifle or suggestions for anything different? I'm not really into the big time customizations. Maybe just some irons and maybe some optics.

tahunua001
December 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
I love ruger so don't get me wrong but there are better ways to spend 2 grand. it's just another piston driven AR15 that tends to suffer cycling problems due to improper tuning of the gas system. I don't buy into the whole idea where that poop where it eats AR15 design that has been the fastest growing market since the end of the clinton gun ban has enough problems to warrant such a gimmick. if you clean your AR every 1,000 rounds or so it doesn't need a piston to keep it functioning.

if I was going to spend $2,000 on an AR I would buy this (http://www.seekinsprecision.com/complete-rifles-1/cbr.html) instead but that's just me.

farmboy
December 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
I was actually looking at the economy level rifle and then add my own sights. Probably top cap at around $1200.

tahunua001
December 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
ahh, in that case then there are worse you could go with for $1200. still not a fan of the piston but that's all on this guy. as stated you have to tune the piston for a specific load, be it factory or home load and then you have to keep a log of what ammo functions best and which setting. too much headache for me but it's an american gun from and american company and if you ever have a problem they will take it back free of charge. not much more you could ask for.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
I cannot delve into the piston system of the Ruger, but I have the Hk MR556 and it is a piston gun. It is very impressive. The BCG never even gets warm. I tried a demo out before buying mine, I fell in love. We ran a couple hindred rounds through it, and the owner pulled the BCG out, it was clean and cool to the touch. If the Ruger is anything like the piston system in the Hk, it is fantastic. Trust me, if it is something you want, go for it. Ruger is a quality company.

MarkCO
December 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
The piston system was a solution to a non-existant problem. Is there a reason NONE of the top competitors use them? Yes. They are more finicky with loads, increased complexity more prone to breakage, increased recoil.

The Rugers have had some problems, which they seem to have fixed. However, since no one is really putting a lot of rounds on them, hard to assess long term durability.

Provided this craziness dies down, there are a lot of really good ARs priced in the $1000 to $1200 range.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
The Piston isn't for everyone. Most honestly would never see the difference. The only difference I have seen is when someone runs 400+ rounds through one without a break. The BCG is still cool to the touch and clean. The thing I liked is I don't have to use as much oil to keep it running. That being said, most will NEVER benefit from this. There are some piston systems that have given them a bad name. I cannot comment on the Ruger, but I have seen the benefits of an LWRC or Hk. I had many tell me that the Hk wasn't worth the money, to save the money or buy 2 DI guns for the money. Well, I gotta say I am glad I did my own thing. I love the rifle and it was worth the money to. Whether it is worth it to you, only you can decide... Most do not need a Piston AR.

farmboy
December 24, 2012, 10:14 AM
Several years ago I had a Mini 14, which is piston driven, and it worked perfectly.

How is this one different?

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Ruger is a great company. The piston system is the same premise. I would not hesitate to buy one. IMO the fear of piston systems comes from the designs. There are a few different of these, where as the DI system is more standardized. Trust me, if you like the Ruger, buy it. I have found very little substitution for the things we really set our sights on.

Quentin2
December 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
Farmboy, the Mini-14 was designed with a piston system, the AR-15 was designed for direct gas impingement. You could convert the Mini to DI and of course the AR to piston. Is it a good idea, I'll leave that up to you.

The main thing is, because of initial design, there is a difference between the Mini and AR piston. Extra design issues have to be resolved to ensure proper function in an AR.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
As always Quentin, great post...

Locoweed
December 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't wait for the prices to "deflate." Ammo prices went up during the shortage a couple years ago and never came down. After a gun store gets used to selling a gun at a certain price point, and the public gets used to buying at that price, the price will stick.

Quentin2
December 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks, CJohnson76! Yours are great, too.