PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my choke.

Dolsak
November 24, 2012, 03:12 AM
Hey all.

I recently purchased a used Benelli SuperNova at the local pawn&gun.

In the box were the Benelli-manufactured Full, Improved Cylinder, and Modified Chokes.

However, screwed into the barrel was what I believe to be a Kicks Buck Kicker Full choke.
What I'm wondering is :

1) Is it safe to use this choke with 00 Buckshot?
I bought the gun to use for skeet shooting, and will obviously use birdshot then, but I have to use buckshot at the local indoor range.

2) Is this a quality choke? Should I be happy to have gotten it, and the almost-new Supernova for about $430? Or should I shake my fist at the dealer a couple times before I run off and have fun with it?

Any answers will be appreciated, as always.
I look forward to your responses.

~Dolsak

John1 S
November 24, 2012, 06:35 AM
I think I would go with the improved cylinder for 00 buck if it was me?? I know stell shot you can use a full chock but you can't go with super full chock. Put the improved chock in and go out and put a box out at about 40 yds and shot it with the 00 buck and see what it does?? You should have most of the shot in the box 2'x2' .

BigJimP
November 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
Here's your answer - if in fact that is what your choke is ...from their website.....

-----------------------

http://www.kicks-ind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Kicks&Category_Code=BuckKicker

----------------

Designed to control (10,12 and 20 gauge) buckshot loads with more consistency than ever before.

"BuckKicker"chokes are available in three constrictions to accommodate buckshot sizes from.000 to #4 buck.

Chokes are manufactured from 17-4PH stainless steel and come with a matte-black finish.

"BuckKicker" chokes are available for most 10,12 and 20 gauge models. "BuckKicker" chokes can also be used
for upland game whenever a full choke is desired.

Not for use with steel shot. With the right match of choke to your gun, consistent patterns inside a 20" circle
at 40 yards can be achieved.

Light Full–000 Buckshot

Full–Best all-around 00 Buckshot

Xfull–2 3/4 or 3" 00 Buckshot–#1 & #4 Buckshot
--------------
I have no personal experience with the company ...but it was easy to find with a search...

Dolsak
November 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you.

I saw that table on their website, but I wasn't entirely sure how to interpret it.

RMcL
November 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Dolsak

Since the ports on the Buckkicker Choke also serve as a "wad grabber" to slow the wad and let the shot clear just ahead of the wad column, this choke is not suited for use with wads like Federal's Flite-Control or Hornady's VersaTite.

RMcL
November 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
John1 S

Since the introduction of 1 piece wads and stacking 00B in "spiral" offset or simply in layers of two, Full chokes have delivered the tightest of buckshot patterns.

The most recent Flite-Control/VersaTite wads give tighter open choke patterns that any previous small pellet (000, 00, 1) buckshot loads, however these also respond well to modified through full chokes.