PDA

View Full Version : AR lube

Glockstar .40
November 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
got a daniel defense v2 being shipped to my house. its my 1st AR and was wondering what is the best lube on the market right now? what are yall running with?

scsov509
November 16, 2012, 12:45 AM
Frog Lube. Been using it for about 8 months now on all my weapons and love it! :D

Moby
November 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Several folks including Armalite say to run synthetic motor oil on the bolt and run it wet. I've done that with mine and have had no problems.

scsov509
November 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
Several folks including Armalite say to run synthetic motor oil on the bolt and run it wet. I've done that with mine and have had no problems.

We run Mobile 1 on most of our business' demo guns, many of which are full-auto AR's and AK's. It flat out works, and is dirt cheap compared to anything else out there. There are a lot of great lubricants and cleaners on the automotive aisle, that's for sure!

Metal god
November 16, 2012, 01:55 AM
IMO what ever you use make sure is more on the thick side .The hotter the bolt gets the thinner your lube will get . I used CLP for a while It seemed to work just fine . Im using Slip 2000 EWL 30 right now till I run out then I may try something else maybe some axel grease but I do like this Slip stuff . The EWL 30 is very thick , not as thick as some greases but way WAY thicker then CLP . When you put it on the BCG it stays there . It does not run off down in to the buffer tube or out between the receivers by the buffer when left in the safe for awhile . When you use something thick like grease or this Slip stuff you know when you grab your gun it will be good to go and will stay wet for many rounds .

In short for your BCG use the thicker stuff - Slip , frog lube , motor oil whatever Im sure they all will work well and really CLP is very good , if it's good enough for our soldiers it will be more then adequate for us at the range .

lmccrock
November 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
Synthetic motor oil to lube, Hoppe's #9 to clean on the bench. Breakfree CLP as a field expedient cleaner/lube.

Mobile 1 works quite well on an AR. However, over the years I spilled more on the bench than goes on the gun and it is still cheaper than the dedicated gun products.

pturner67
November 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Froglube, BF CLP, Mobil 1 synthetic oil...they all work well. I made a batch of snot (equal parts Mobil 1 5w30, CLP, and auto trans fluid) and it also works.

The most important thing...clean it and keep it lubed.

Crow Hunter
November 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Don't use a grease on the cam pin.

If you get it the firing pin channel and it is cold, you might get light strikes.

(Personal experience:o)

I use Breakfree CLP or Mobil 1.

I have never used Froglube, but I have read some complaints about getting thick/gummy and bolt tail corrosion.

plouffedaddy
November 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Breakfree CLP or 0 though 10w synthetic motor oil. I use lithium grease on the rails on the outside of the carrier but CLP or oil would work too.

Edward429451
November 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Weaponshield is good stuff. Midway.

Fishbed77
November 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Breakfree CLP works great for me. Cheap, works, and is easy to find.

mitranoc
November 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
I like Eezox the best, but you can only buy it online. Breakfree CLP is also a great product.

Eghad
November 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
I use Slip 2000 EWL and I am trying out some Frog Lube.

mitranoc
November 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Frog Lube. Been using it for about 8 months now on all my weapons and love it!

I am trying out some Frog Lube.

Hey guys I recently bought some Frog Lube, but have not used it yet. They say that it works best if used while your gun is still warm? Is this how you're using it?

scsov509
November 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hey guys I recently bought some Frog Lube, but have not used it yet. They say that it works best if used while your gun is still warm? Is this how you're using it?

Yep, I usually let my gun sit under a lamp for a few minutes to heat up or hit it with a hairdryer/heat gun if needed. Then I apply some liquid, brush it in lightly with a cleaning brush if necessary, and then wipe the crud and excess off. I reapply while it's still warm, let it soak in and cool for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess and reassemble. Shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes, and you'll be amazed at how much will weep back out of the metal when it warms up when firing. On my AR's I'll sometimes add a drop into the gas key and holes in the right side of the BCG between strings of fire if necessary, but mostly I just keep on shooting and let the Frog Lube do it's stuff. :cool:

Steve in PA
November 16, 2012, 08:13 PM
Slip EWL 2000 is what I use.

mitranoc
November 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Yep, I usually let my gun sit under a lamp for a few minutes to heat up or hit it with a hairdryer/heat gun if needed. Then I apply some liquid, brush it in lightly with a cleaning brush if necessary, and then wipe the crud and excess off. I reapply while it's still warm, let it soak in and cool for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess and reassemble. Shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes, and you'll be amazed at how much will weep back out of the metal when it warms up when firing. On my AR's I'll sometimes add a drop into the gas key and holes in the right side of the BCG between strings of fire if necessary, but mostly I just keep on shooting and let the Frog Lube do it's stuff.

Cool - I look forward to trying it out. And it smells good too!:D Thanks.

Marquezj16
November 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
OTIS CLP - what I use downrange and what I use at my local range.

Only used engine oil on M240B and M2. I am thinking of trying out some for my AR15s some day.

scsov509
November 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
Cool - I look forward to trying it out. And it smells good too! Thanks.

The minty-fresh scent is nice when you're running suppressed, that's for sure. :D

Nathan
November 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
Weaponshield is good stuff. Midway.

+1 Great stuff.

pturner67
November 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have a question about Gunzilla

I have read what everyone on here and other forums have said about Gunzilla and the consensus is that it's a great product.

So...I pick some up today to see for myself.

Gunzilla seems to clean very well. So well that I re-cleaned 2 clean guns today and came away with multiple dirty patches.

My concern, though, is with how thin Gunzilla is. I'm used to using "snot" (equal parts BF CLP, Mobil 1 5w30, and automatic transmission fluid) and having my guns feel very smooth. But the snot is so much thicker than Gunzilla. I notice my CZ doesn't feel as smooth when pulling the slide back.

Can someone please comment? Does the lubricating property change over time? Is there something I'm missing? Is this all in my head? lol

9mm1033
November 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
On recommendations from other AR owners, I've recently switched to 0-20W Mobil 1 synthetic. I was talking to a local police officer and he told me the PD AR's are lubed with Mobil 1. Works for me.

B. Lahey
November 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
I like CLP, motor oil has benzene and other nasty stuff in it. I'm not such a health nut that a little motor oil on my hands would freak me out, but CLP works very nicely without the troublesome ingredients.

And I can say from personal experience that getting CLP in your mouth and eyes will not poison or blind you. :)

Crow Hunter
November 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
Be careful about Breakfree CLP anyway. It has some significant liver toxicity.

It also breaks some people out (me).

I still use it though.

mukibetser
November 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Another vote for frog lube. I head up metal components with a hair drier, apply the Flube, and then heat again and rub it in. I like it because it is simple -- all-in-one for cleaning and lubrication -- and smells a lot better than synthetic cleaners and lubricants. It does indeed seem to make it much easier to clean a gun after several applications.

B. Lahey
November 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
Be careful about Breakfree CLP anyway. It has some significant liver toxicity.

Thankfully, I only got it in my eyes and mouth one time each. You quickly learn to respect the spraynozzle and to keep your mouth closed while firing a heavily lubricated rifle when that happens. Yuck.

droptrd
November 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
just keep it well lubed with whatever. I use whatevers on sale and on hand. Breakfree, rem oil, hoppes, G96, outers, gunslick, WD40,3-in-1, mobile, castrol - whatever. just keep it lubed. I keep little 1.5 oz bottles of hoppes gun oil in my AR cases. I pull the bolt and rub in a few drops of oil when out shooting.

ak2323
November 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
I've used motor oil, gear oil, CLP, ballistol, and high temperature wheel bearing grease with good results. It's all a wash IMO. :)

Amsdorf
November 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Better too much than too little.

riggins_83
November 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
Another vote for Slip 2000 EWL. Runs will in a wide range of operating temps, stays well, doesn't attract crud and keeps the gun running well after a high round count.