PDA

View Full Version : AR-180B

Greenwood
November 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
I've had several AK's (still have a Galil), several AR-15's, and a few AR-180's. Not too long ago I picked up an AR-180B and love it due to its being clean piston driven, using many easily available AR-15 parts, being accurate, reliable and being able to add a folding stock. Other than my Galil, it is my favorite semi-auto of the group listed.
The other day I was talking to a gun shop retailer and he said that the AR-180B is very hard to sell. Anyone have a clue as to why that would be the case?

Crow Hunter
November 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Plastic lower, and no rails, and few if any accessories.

Most people don't like plastic lowers on rifles

Most people like to add doodads/optics to their guns.

Also, the last 11 years haven't been showing the AR-180B figured prominently on every nightly news cast.;)

SPEMack618
November 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
I would say your average semi-automatic rifle consumer is going to want something that he or she has either used in the military, wants something to hunt hogs or varmits with, a modular rifle they can modify for whatever purpose they desire, or something like they saw on a video game. The
AR-180B doesn't radily lend itself to those missions, despite being what I consider a fine piece.

I think they're cool because that's what's they trained with on the pilot epsidoe of SWAT.:D

lee n. field
November 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Anyone have a clue as to why that would be the case?

Might be the fact that Armalite doesn't cover hinge breakage under warranty.

And they don't make them anymore. I don't think they had much enthusiasm for them when they did. (Armalite has a vendor table at our club's open house most years, to show off their wares. I've not seen them bring an AR-180.)

Bart Noir
November 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think they're cool because that's what's they trained with on the pilot episode of SWAT.

That old show?? Those would have been the AR-180 back when before the metal lower. So not an AR-180B. But you get points for even remembering that show.

Bart Noir

SPEMack618
November 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
Oh, didn't realize the difference, but yes SWAT. Found it on Hulu and watched every season.