PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Auto Rifle Question

Microscope
November 2, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hi there,

I know you get a lot of these kinds of questions, but personally, I never get bored reading them.

Semi-auto Rifle - .223 or 5.56
Very reliable, easy maintenance, cleaning, upkeep
Reasonably accurate (max 350 yrds primary use)
Easy to find & fairly priced parts, accessories, ammo, support, etc
Relatively lower recoil and front rise.
In the range of $1000-2000 - preference is new but recent used too.
Pest control, plinking, SHTF scenario

2damnold4this
November 2, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'd get some sort of AR. You might be ok with a Mini 14 but I think an AR is easier to clean and accessorize.

Microscope
November 2, 2012, 06:26 PM
Could you offer more specific models within AR category?
I'm fairly new to this so it would be helpful for me.
Thx

sgms
November 2, 2012, 07:51 PM
I believe you had better start by getting the list of what you can own before trying to get a rifle. I am under the impression that the list is currently under going a reworking and that Canada restricts all of the AR-15 style rifles including the .22 rimfires. Once you find out what you can own it will be a lot easier to make a suggestions.

barnbwt
November 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
Are AR and AK pattern guns still not allowed in Canada? I know the VZ58 is available as an alternative to the AK up there, and Czechpoint recently came out with a version in .223/5.56. I don't know if they are distributing up there but it's likely they could be allowed considering their design is derived from neither AK nor AR.

Good luck,

TCB

cecILL
November 3, 2012, 07:13 AM
If no ARs, the Ranch Rifle sounds like it would meet your needs.
There is a fair amount of after market "junk" made for it, too.

Microscope
November 3, 2012, 09:06 AM
Don't worry about Canadian regulations.
I will take all your suggestions and ask the local experts which ones match closest within regulations here.
So fire away. :D

BPowderkeg
November 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
So fire away

Colt SP-1 AR-15

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/Refinish.jpg

or

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/144148/975874410/pop_wm_4354887.jpg

this is my best "fire away" suggestions.., i hope you get one or the other.

Microscope
November 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
What a nice black gun.
Are there new versions, or would I be looking for a good used gun?

thx

5.56RifleGuy
November 3, 2012, 10:43 AM
I love SP1 rifles. That is the top one in the picture up there. There is an auction coming up that has one listed. Its even in Canada.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=5761&aid=57494&lid=14668837#topoflot

I think they fall into the area of collector interest mostly, however they are great shooters. I love mine. There is a lot of cool stuff in that auction.

chris in va
November 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
I guess we need to know how available certain types of ammo is in your area.

Microscope
November 3, 2012, 05:25 PM
Please see above revision.
It is now officially a US question.
Please submit away.

Powderman
November 3, 2012, 05:51 PM
In that price range, I'd choose a Colt 6920 or a BCM AR15 of similar configuration.

If you're looking at sterling accuracy, then a Colt CR 6720 or 6724 (I like the longer barrels) would be the ticket, especially if you're adding optics.

If you want to keep to a military-style configuration, then look at the Colt MT 6700.

Honestly, there are tons and tons of reliable, reputable AR manufacturers out there, and most of them put out a rifle capable of amazing accuracy. My preference is for Colt, for a number of reasons--although your mileage can and possibly will vary.