View Full Version : Semi-Auto Rifle Question

November 2, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hi there,

I know you get a lot of these kinds of questions, but personally, I never get bored reading them.

Semi-auto Rifle - .223 or 5.56
Very reliable, easy maintenance, cleaning, upkeep
Reasonably accurate (max 350 yrds primary use)
Easy to find & fairly priced parts, accessories, ammo, support, etc
Relatively lower recoil and front rise.
In the range of $1000-2000 - preference is new but recent used too.
Pest control, plinking, SHTF scenario

November 2, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'd get some sort of AR. You might be ok with a Mini 14 but I think an AR is easier to clean and accessorize.

November 2, 2012, 06:26 PM
Could you offer more specific models within AR category?
I'm fairly new to this so it would be helpful for me.

November 2, 2012, 07:51 PM
I believe you had better start by getting the list of what you can own before trying to get a rifle. I am under the impression that the list is currently under going a reworking and that Canada restricts all of the AR-15 style rifles including the .22 rimfires. Once you find out what you can own it will be a lot easier to make a suggestions.

November 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
Are AR and AK pattern guns still not allowed in Canada? I know the VZ58 is available as an alternative to the AK up there, and Czechpoint recently came out with a version in .223/5.56. I don't know if they are distributing up there but it's likely they could be allowed considering their design is derived from neither AK nor AR.

Good luck,

November 3, 2012, 07:13 AM
If no ARs, the Ranch Rifle sounds like it would meet your needs.
There is a fair amount of after market "junk" made for it, too.

November 3, 2012, 09:06 AM
Don't worry about Canadian regulations.
I will take all your suggestions and ask the local experts which ones match closest within regulations here.
So fire away. :D

November 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
So fire away

Colt SP-1 AR-15

this is my best "fire away" suggestions.., i hope you get one or the other.

November 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
What a nice black gun.
Are there new versions, or would I be looking for a good used gun?

November 3, 2012, 10:43 AM
I love SP1 rifles. That is the top one in the picture up there. There is an auction coming up that has one listed. Its even in Canada.

I think they fall into the area of collector interest mostly, however they are great shooters. I love mine. There is a lot of cool stuff in that auction.

chris in va
November 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
I guess we need to know how available certain types of ammo is in your area.

November 3, 2012, 05:25 PM
Please see above revision.
It is now officially a US question.
Please submit away.

November 3, 2012, 05:51 PM
In that price range, I'd choose a Colt 6920 or a BCM AR15 of similar configuration.

If you're looking at sterling accuracy, then a Colt CR 6720 or 6724 (I like the longer barrels) would be the ticket, especially if you're adding optics.

If you want to keep to a military-style configuration, then look at the Colt MT 6700.

Honestly, there are tons and tons of reliable, reputable AR manufacturers out there, and most of them put out a rifle capable of amazing accuracy. My preference is for Colt, for a number of reasons--although your mileage can and possibly will vary.