PDA

View Full Version : Best sources for Magpul magazines?

smokiniron
October 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hi Folks,

Just got a M&P Sport. I need a few mags, particularly 20 and 10 rd. I can't find any 10 rd Magpul products. The Outdoors stores and LGS seem to be all over the map on prices fro 10, 20, and 30 rd. mags.

Any recommendations on sources and other good brands?

Thanks!

RT
October 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
Rainier arms or DSG arms
Or Bravo Co.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/default.aspx#P2499

Crow Hunter
October 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
I like to use

http://www.44mag.com/

when I buy magazines.

Excellent prices and quick service.

smokiniron
October 30, 2012, 01:37 PM
Good info, thanks, gents!

ripnbst
October 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
Fatboytactical has them for $10. Black only no windows. These are the 30 rounders. I don't believe Magpul makes 10 rounders. I know they make 20's though.

allaroundhunter
October 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Magpul does not make 10 (or 5) round PMAGs. If you want to limit them to 10 rounds you can purchase a device that will accomplish that, but you have to use the 20 round magazine body.

BillyJack3
October 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
44mag and DSG. I get my USGI from DSG. I use those much more than my pmags. Aluminum with Magpul followers.

p loader
October 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
44mag all day long.

Justice06RR
October 31, 2012, 04:45 AM
Aimsurplus has good prices also with free shipping on Pmags.

moxie
October 31, 2012, 08:35 AM
The sources noted above are all excellent. If what you are looking for is out of stock, another source is Botach.

http://www.botachtactical.com/mapgulpmag30.html

KevK.
October 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
ineedmoregear.com has pretty good prices on magpul and has 20 round mags in stock. Shipping was fast coming from AR to IL 2 days.

Just another source for you.

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks again on the additional sources. I've checked them all and all have something to offer, whether price, shipping, availability, etc.

Technosavant
October 31, 2012, 11:18 AM
I tend to buy from Brownells, but I get dealer pricing thanks to my C&R FFL.

Keep in mind the new Revision M3 Pmags come out Friday. The existing Rev M Pmags will be relabeled to the MOE Pmag and sold without the dust cover (IIRC, the floorplate will be slightly different as well) for a slightly lower price. Now is not a bad time to grab a deal on some existing Pmags... many are waiting for the Rev M3.

I don't think this revision applies to the Pmag 20, however.

Crow Hunter
October 31, 2012, 11:29 AM
That dust cover is very useful for removing rounds from the magazine.

Actually that is why I kept my only PMAG, I have the cover snapped on the bottom of it and I use it to unload my aluminum mags.:D

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, good advice... I ordered a few of the MAG211FDE with the dust cover, but for 10 bucks, couldn't get the window. But the shipping was free. I have the windowed models locally for $18, but I really wanted a few of the 20 rd too, so I ordered some of each.

Any reason I couldn't drill a few 3/8" holes in the upper third of the mags for a rough round count? If needed, I could glue a thin plastic disc over the hole(s) to keep out dirt. Has anyone tried this mod?

Crow Hunter
October 31, 2012, 12:25 PM
Why do you need to know how many rounds are in the magazine?

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 12:54 PM
I don't, really.... I'm not planning on ever being in a combative situation. But, Magpul offers windowed mags. I got some without the window on-line for a good price. My questions was more to the idea of a cheap mod that replicated the functionality of their more expensive product. It's not so much that it's necessary, but more 'has anyone done that to their mags'? The Forum is a wealth of answers and many of them creative. I just need to ask the right questions! :)

Crow Hunter
October 31, 2012, 01:19 PM
If that is the case.

Just drill a sight hole in the back of the magazine right under where the mag well ends and you can just see without having to take the rifle off your shoulder.

Functionally, they are a solution looking for a problem.

-You shouldn't/won't be looking at them in combat.

-You should shoot until the mag runs dry then change.

-If you do a tactical reload for some reason, you should put the partial mag in a dump pouch, not with your full mags and if it gets to the point you need that mag, the number of rounds in it won't matter.;)

But if you are just talking about trying stuff for giggles, let us know how it turns out.

Technosavant
October 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
Any reason I couldn't drill a few 3/8" holes in the upper third of the mags for a rough round count? If needed, I could glue a thin plastic disc over the hole(s) to keep out dirt. Has anyone tried this mod?

I've seen one guy do it... he basically chopped out the spot where the MagLevel window would be and glued in a clear piece of plastic.

I don't know that the effort was worth the savings over the ones that come with the window. I haven't bothered with buying any of the Maglevel ones... I figure that when I don't get a good SPROING from the buffer tube it's time to insert a fresh magazine anyway. :D

BillyJack3
October 31, 2012, 01:36 PM
The "dust cover" is used to keep your rounds from applying pressure to the lip of the mag when your are storing loaded mags. Not to keep dust out of them.

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 02:55 PM
But if you are just talking about trying stuff for giggles, let us know how it turns out.

That's probably closer to the truth. I like to tinker a bit.

Crow Hunter
October 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
That's probably closer to the truth. I like to tinker a bit.

Me too.

I usually keep tinkering until something doesn't work any more, then I have to start over.:D

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
I usually keep tinkering until something doesn't work any more, then I have to start over.

For me, it's more like, "Torque the bolt until the threads just begin to strip, then back off 1/4 turn." It usually happens with my car's lug nuts....

Crow Hunter
October 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
For me, it's more like, "Torque the bolt until the threads just begin to strip, then back off 1/4 turn." It usually happens with my car's lug nuts....

I stripped out a 10/22 receiver mounting a scope base like that one time. "Just a little more, oops, crap.":rolleyes:

smokiniron
October 31, 2012, 04:18 PM
I always follow the axiom, "If a little is good, a little more is better."

( So, is it bad if oil is running out of your barrel when you aim at your shoes?)

stubbicatt
November 1, 2012, 10:53 AM
If you can figure where the follower stops on a full mag, and drill a small hole in the back of the mag where the bottom round would be, it would duplicate many of the AK 223 mags I have. Handy to tell if you have a partial or a full mag.

My $.02. :cool:

sigcurious
November 1, 2012, 11:03 AM
If you need 10rd mags check RifleGear (http://www.riflegear.com), they should have a variety of limited capacity mags, including blocked pmags. They also sell normal capacity ones too.

smokiniron
November 1, 2012, 11:16 AM
I like the idea of a full-mag indicator hole. Maybe my stud locator will work through the plastic! (More tinkering this weekend...!)

On the blocked 10-rd mags... I appreciate the lead. I'm really looking more for the shorter mag, not lower capacity. But, I have a gun show in 2 weeks here, so maybe I'll see something there.

Appreciate the feedback and ideas! Thanks.

sigcurious
November 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
These (http://www.riflegear.com/p-485-dh-10-round-magazine-223556mm-with-magpul-anti-tilt-follower.aspx) should be shorter than a normal 20rounder. There are a couple others that are similar.

smokiniron
November 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
That's the right idea... Thanks.

Pacman
November 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
CMC Government Supply is a great source for Pmags. Great price and quick turnaround.