PDA

View Full Version : Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 Capacity

Crazy88Fingers
October 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
So I stopped by the local pawn shop the other day and walked out with an old Glenfield Model 60, which seems to be a Marlin Model 60. I've been under the impression that these things typically hold 14 rounds of ammo. But I just loaded 17 into mine and it seems to hold them just fine. There may, in fact, be room for more. Can I just load this thing until the bullets come up to the loading hole (I'm sure there's a better name for that) in the tube? Or will a certain amount potentially cause undue strain on the springs and such?

Quentin2
October 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah the older ones had a longer barrel. I think you can get 19 rounds in the tube.

tahunua001
October 28, 2012, 11:59 PM
glenfields and older marlin 60s had 18 round tubes. newer marlins shortened the tube to 14 which is kindof stupid if you ask me but whatever.

koolminx
October 29, 2012, 01:08 AM
My Glenfield and my Connecticut arms both hold 17.

defcon
October 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
how can you tell where it maxes out?

tahunua001
October 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
how can you tell where it maxes out?
I always just dropped them down the tube til the last one poked about half way up the feed hole.

Metal god
October 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
I always just dropped them down the tube til the last one poked about half way up the feed hole

Yep thats what I do . I have a model 60 22" barrel and I can load 17 easy . If I put 18 in it seems to pack them in there way to tight for my taste . Mine does not like cheap bulk ammo either but runs great on CCI mini mags . I here you can change all the springs out and it should work like new .

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/3148/guns017.jpg

Stevie-Ray
November 1, 2012, 09:17 PM
My old Glenfield holds 18.

Crazy88Fingers
November 5, 2012, 02:21 AM
Well it seems like 17 would be the official answer. The 18th will drop in, but there's no room to slide down. Finally got it out to the range today. It's shooting about 4" low at 25 yards with the factory irons, but grouping well. Some Tech Sights were planned anyway to match my Mini 14. She runs fine on Federal and BVAC bulk stuff, but didn't care for Federal Game-Shok at all. Unfortunately I found out it predates the last-shot hold open feature. But I'm a revolver shooter, so I'm used to counting my shots anyway.

I also learned during research that this thing is an assault rifle in some states because of its "high capacity" tube that holds more than 15 rounds. I wonder how many years in prison those two extra rounds are worth... :rolleyes:

Sport45
November 5, 2012, 03:32 AM
It's shooting about 4" low at 25 yards with the factory irons, but grouping well.

Can you raise the rear sight about 3/32"? That should put you pretty close until you get the new sights.