PDA

View Full Version : Bought Me A New Weatherby

redrick
October 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
I was looking for a new SG for all around use from deer hunting in thick cover using buckshot to shooting clays every now and then.

I was leaning toward a Winchester SX3 ( $999 ) and would have bought one the first time I went looking but they didn't have one with a 28" barrel. Not the best lenght for getting through the woods but it swings better for me.

This week I got too thinking about the abuse that it will be getting going through the woods and being pulled up a treestand. So I got to thinking beater gun.

I didn't want the recoil of a pump, so that got me too looking at the Weatherby SA08.

After calling 5 gun stores I found one. Black synthetic, 12ga, 3", 28" barrel and it was on sale for $450.

The only thing so far that I don't like about it is, the 3 chokes are not marked.

I am going to pattern it Sunday if we don't get all that rain from hurricane Sandy.

djcantr
October 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
The chokes should be marked, probably with notches. http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/item/view/44320

You also posted this in the semi auto rifle forum. Maybe a mod can move to the proper forum?

Congrats on the new scatter gun!

redrick
October 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Sorry, I know. I already asked for it to be moved.

redrick
October 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks, I can see them now with a magnifying glass. I don't need glasses to read most print and I read the manual looking for a mention of it.

Joe Chicago
October 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Red, I look forward to your range report on the SA08 since I am considering one in 20 gauge.

hoghunting
October 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
I have an wood stock 12 ga 26" barrel SA-08 that I've used for the past 2 dove seasons, and have been very pleased with it. Never had any failures of any kind and it is a quick-handling shotgun. Congratulations on your new shotgun.

redrick
November 2, 2012, 06:09 PM
I patterned some buckshot today. It liked Federal FliteControl the best with the full choke tube.

I was dreading patterning the buckshot in such a light shotgun. The last time I did it was with my 2 3/4" A5 many years ago. It doesn't have a rubber recoil pad, but is heavier and kicks like a mule with buckshot. After 5 shots I was ready to stop.

The recoil wasn't bad at all with this light, gas recoil, Weatherby, using 3" 00BK . I shot 10 rounds and could have shot more.

Clean up is a breeze also.

cdbeagle
January 9, 2013, 01:15 AM
I have 4 SX3's and a Weatherby, my daughter also has a youth Weatherby with wood furniture(Weatherby doesn't make the youth model in wood anymore). You are right about the chokes but other than that I think the SA-08 is an outstanding shotgun, especially for the money.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/cdbeagle/012.jpg

redrick
January 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
I sold my SA-08, it would not pattern buckshot very good and POI was about 10 inches low. I tried 5 different chokes from Kicks, Trulock and a local gunsmith, besides the 3 factory chokes and 7 different buckshots. Pretty soon the way I was going I was going too have as much money in it as buying a SX3.

I am looking at the SX3 now. If you have patterned BK at 40 yards with it let me know how it patterned and what BK and choke you used.