PDA

View Full Version : HK SL-8

BLUETIP
October 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
bought this whenever they first came out put maybe 20 rnds thru it with a hologram scope on her cleaned and went in the safe. anyone mess around with them? seamed to do fine at 100 yrds but like i said i didnt have real optics on it.

en-frame
October 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hey Bluetip,

I've got 2. One was converted to a G36K clone by tbostic:

http://qandr.dyndns-home.com/img/G36/G36R_s.jpg

The other is still in SL8 form except I put a more comfortable stock on it (also by tbostic):

http://qandr.dyndns-home.com/img/PSG8/HK_PSG8-6.jpg

I like them both, and enjoy shooting them very much. They are easy to clean too, which I appreciate.

Take yours out and shoot 'er!

BLUETIP
October 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
those are sweet, how much was g-36 conversion if you dont mind me asking? i also like the full length pic rail. im a fan of using a scout scope and that would work perfectly. i did buy some 20 round mags by pro mag still havnt tried em tho we just recently moved and am still working on a place to shoot.

Creeper
October 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
I handloaded for a SL-8 several years ago. The usual stuff... neck sized Lapua cases, Berger bullets .005" off the lands, Vihtavuori propellant and Fed 205M primers. With the gas op rod/piston removed and a custom plug in the gas block... it was a fairly consistent .375" gun.
With loads that (just barely) fit the magazine, and the gas system fully operational, it was a .750" gun. Not as good as a match grade AR, but not too bad for a gun that cost me $1100 at the time, and later sold with a IOR Valdada scope for $2700. :D

C

Pilot
October 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
I had one. I did most of the G36 conversions. It shot fine, but I didn't see any advantage over my AR's and accuracy, shootability. I sold it.

en-frame
October 19, 2012, 01:39 AM
Hey Bluetip,

Thanks. I bought the G36 conversion already "converted". It came with a bunch of spares, both the AR and G36 magazine housings, G36 mags, the dual German optic, extra rails, etc. It was over $3K, but I really like the platform.

Next I bought the SL8-6. Got the "PSG8" stock from tbostic. The rifle is still configured for single-stack magazines. I prefer the 10-rounders to the 20-rounders, which are a pain to load and tend to get in the way.

Pilot,

You're right, but variety is the spice of life! I find that the G36 does have a different feel than the AR. And the G36 folds up to be smaller than my AR carbine with a 16" barrel. It's a fine little carbine.

BLUETIP
October 19, 2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your responses fellas.

Que
October 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
Just as an FYI, I have found the 20 round ProMags to be 100% reliable. But, I believe 922r comes into play.

BTW, I would expect the value of the SL8 (and USC 45) to rise (as they are no longer made) if only for UMP/G36 conversions. I have left my SL8-6 stock and have only shot it with iron sights. Next I will scope it to see what it can really do.

BLUETIP
October 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
Que
mine is still stock as well. The converted ones look better but i like mine as is. Good length of pull adjustment as i am 6'6''.:D

Que
October 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Que
mine is still stock as well. The converted ones look better but i like mine as is. Good length of pull adjustment as i am 6'6''.

I hear ya. I'm one of the few people who actually like the thumbhole stock. My thumb/hand engages it is a very positive way and the reach is perfect.

Here's a true story. I once shot my SL8-6 side-by-side with a fellow who had been through the sniper school at Fort Benning. He was shooting a Remington in 270 WSM and I asked him if he wanted to spend some time behind my SL8. I was interested to see what he would think. My SL8-6 was iron sighted with the extended rail of the SL8-1 for greater sight radius. What he did with that rifle at 90 yards put me to shame. Yeah, iron sights can be a bit of a challenge, but not for him. His opinion of the rifle was that with a little trigger work and the right glass it would be something that he could work with.

BTW, although I have the 20 round ProMags I find the factory ten round mags to be just fine for the type of rifle that it is. The 20 round single stack mags hang down way too low making bench or prone shooting pretty much impossible.

SL8 with Promag 20 round:

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/2265/sl86p.jpg