PDA

View Full Version : AR vs. AK ownership and interest

spacecoast
October 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not trying to ignore the alternatives, but Stoner's AR and Kalashnikov's AK platforms seem to have the most mindshare in discussions of "tactical" semiautomatic rifles available to civilians. I'm interested in how many users of each we have on TFL and the relative levels of interest. There's also a response category for those with no interest in either.

As a side note, it's not easy to design a poll where the categories are mutually exclusive and everyone fits into only one category. Hopefully I've been able to do that.

tahunua001
October 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
I have 2 ARs, one in it's original 5.56 the other in 9mm, both are never leaving my collection.

I used to have an AK, after 2 years of trying to warm up to it and over 1,000 rounds through it(not a lot to some but a lot for me) I sold it for a loss. I just could not find any redeeming qualities to that rifle. the AR is a dated design but I still prefer it to any of the modern alternatives. it is nearly 100 percent ambidextrous with some of the higher end makers suck as Seekins Precision making 100% ambidextrous controls. you never have to remove your firing hand or break sight picture from the weapon for reloads, charging, clearing drills, ETC. the AK just can't do that.

and FWIW I have never had a failure with my 5.56 AR, (9mm is picky about mags) but I suffered many stoppages with the AK.

raftman
October 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
Have both and feel you can't appreciate the merits of one without owning the other.

chadio
October 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
AR / SKS for me :cool:

Nothing against the AK - my brother has an AK74 with a red dot that is an absolute treat. I may end up getting an AK one day, but I'm quite happy with what I have for now.

spyderdude
October 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
I own and enjoy both platforms with one AK and one AR. I do like the AR a little better simply because of ergonomics and weight but I love the AK for its no BS appearance and function. Both have their pros and cons.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/IMGP0465.jpg

Achilles11B
October 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
I have nothing bad to say about the AK platform, but I just prefer the AR.

Crow Hunter
October 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have multiple AR's and only 1 AK and it is for sale. So I voted multiple/no.

I like the AK. It was my 1st evil Black rifle way back in 1998. I always craved one growing up. (I would always give me GI Joe's AK's to replace their rifles:D)

I just find that I am much better with the AR than the AK even with more experience with the AK.

Plus, as I get older, the sights on the AK are harder for me to use.

The AK is a delight to look at though and an example of extreme simplicity in operation.

darestie
October 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Have both after being a die hard AK fan. Now after shortly owning an AR I am a fan of both.

I really like the AR for it's accuracy. My go to gun is still the AK for it's reliability.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z136/darestie/IMAG0050.jpg

Skadoosh
October 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
...what reliability issue/s have you had with your AR?

SR420
October 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
1 ar-100

http://www.athenswater.com/images/AR100-T1.JPG

1 7.62 ak

http://www.athenswater.com/images/T56SHTF-final.JPG

SRH78
October 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
No AK

1 SKS

Just started ordering parts for my first AR

South.Paw
October 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
I like the idea of having both and I had both at one time. I now only have AR's but I am still a fan of AK's and woud like to get one in the future.

Fishbed77
October 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
One thing to note about the AR platform is that is can be adapted to many different alternate uses ("tactical" competition, hunting, precision shooting, .22LR plinking, etc.) that the AK is not as suited for.

I think that is why you'll find more folks owning multiple ARs than owning multiple AKs.

That said, both are obviously great platforms.

Jo6pak
October 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Well, I kinda have 1/2 of each.

Daewoo DR200. Basically, an AR FCG with an AK gas system.
Best of both worlds, baby:cool:
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t407/DReisinger72/dr200ebrcomp.jpg

chris in va
October 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
I had a Saiga conversion for a few years. Once I got into reloading, it became obvious it wasn't the ideal platform for that plus adding optics was not it's strong suit.

I just regret the 223 caliber is so tiny compared to the x39. Sure miss that solid thump it provided.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably just get a VZ 58.

spacecoast
October 18, 2012, 05:49 PM
Great comments so far, and some nice pics. Keep'em coming!

RT
October 18, 2012, 05:49 PM
I have > 4 of each. I prefer the AR for the mag release and the bolt hold-open. AR is also easier to mount optics.

arch308
October 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
I own 1 AR and trust it. I had an AK but just couldn't find any use for it. It was a pre-ban folder and was kinda fun to blast away with but I couldn't get past the lack of accuracy or the crappy sights. I sold it a few years back and don't miss it at all.

jimbob86
October 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
I have an SKS rifle. Why would I want a carbine that loses velocity and accuracy when compared to the SKS, particularly when dealing with an already underpowered round?

mavracer
October 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
AKs just don't do it for me. I have 3 ARs 1 A2 set up for CMP service rifle, a KISS carbine and a 300 Blk carbine. I also have a Mini 14

darkgael
October 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
It comes down to ones mindset...at least to some degree. "tactical semiautomatics".
I think of my AR as sporting goods.
There is nothing that I want to do with a rifle that the AR won't do better than an AK.
Pete

Eghad
October 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have 2 AR15s in 5.56/.223 and I just built a AR15 in 300 AAC BLK.

I have my old faithful WASR 10/63 that I bought for $249.00

I think the 300 BLK is going to be the best of both worlds.

SPEMack618
October 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
I got a Romanian Ak variant fr Christmas in the 8th grade. What 13 year old doesn't need an AK? :D

That being said, my Father always makes it a point to give me guns He knows I'll never buy for myself. That has ranged from a Tec-9 to a Beretta Over-Under shotgun. Without him, I wouldn't have an AK. It's not that I don't like it, I enjoy shooting it, and I can get friends to come to the range with me bcause of it.

I also don't think I'll ever buy an AR-15, atleast not a M-Forgery. I would sorta like an M-16A2 style HBAR match gun, but I got enough tacticalness lugging about my M-4 in the sandbox.

armoredman
October 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
Neither. :) I really disliked the SPROINNGGGG!!! in my ear from the M-16A1 I shot back in 1984, and never tried another one. i had AKs, but the accuracy wasn't what I was really happy with.

So I got a couple of SA vz-58 rifles instead.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz%2058%205%2056mm/vz58newscope2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz-58%20targets%20and%20pics/travelcompanion.jpg

iraiam
October 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
ARs for me, I once had an AK but was dissatisfied with the accuracy, after I bought a $99 SKS, I sold the AK, I still have the bone stock SKS, way more accurate than my AK ever was, but maybe I got a lousy one?

silvermane_1
October 18, 2012, 11:08 PM

"I've got a mini 14. That will work for me."

ditto, but i am considering the AR platform in .22lr, but a side question i have to ask would be if i do go with AR in 22lr, would i have the option to be able to switch the upper to a 5.56 cal.?

tahunua001
October 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
"I've got a mini 14. That will work for me."

ditto, but i am considering the AR platform in .22lr, but a side question i have to ask would be if i do go with AR in 22lr, would i have the option to be able to switch the upper to a 5.56 cal.?

yes you can switch however it would be cheaper to get one in 5.56 and get the 22lr conversion for it.

the slight difference in barrel diameters makes it so you can shoot a 22lr(.223) out of a 5.56(.224) barrel however using the opposite will cause unnecessary barrel wear. so if you get the 22lr AR15 then you have to get a new upper half where as if you buy the 5.56 AR15 you only need a new bolt carrier group.

silvermane_1
October 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
thanks for the input tahunua001, the main i reason i haven't bought a AR15 in the past was my buddy had a A1 model, and if wasn't run wet it would jam like with in ten rounds and you had to keep it clean, or FTF and FTE.

tahunua001
October 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
the AR15 design has been streamlined over the past 30 years or so. it's very rare to see one that acts like that nowadays. you still get the "sproing" sound inside the stock with a lot of them but I can't even remember the last time I cleaned my AR and it doesn't jam at all.

bacardisteve
October 19, 2012, 12:36 AM
One arsenal ak and One Rock River 308.

Ignition Override
October 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've neither type, and have an SKS because the ergos seem a bit better than on an AK clone. My SKS has the fully-adjustable Tech Sight aperture.

When I saw the first part of this topic, I wondered how many AK owners bought the rifle before they ever read or heard about the Czech Vz-58.

My hang-up is that most open sights don't appeal to me, in contrast with aperture sights, and only like classic rifles with wood, versus dark plastic.

AKsRul.e
October 19, 2012, 03:03 AM
Five AKs , Four ARs and an AR pistol. ;)

Bigfatts
October 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
I have 1 AK, no ARs. Polish underfolder:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/bigfatts/002-12.jpg

Had a couple ARs and they just didn't do anything for me. Had a poorly built AK that I hated. My brother-in-law just built an AK and shooting it I got to feel what an AK should be so I was interested in getting a proper one. Picked up the underfolder for a song and am stripping it down from what you see in the pic back to basic. Using the proceeds to fund another non-folder rifle. Can't wait to get another.

Palmetto-Pride
October 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Right now I have 4 ARs 0 AKs I had a AK a few years ago, but sold it. I can appreciate them for what they are but I prefer my ARs.

gizmo688
October 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
1.5 AR's. I shot a Wasr import for the first time last week and was thoroughly put off. Feeling every movement of the action in my shoulder made me feel like it was constructed by an underpaid 3rd world teenager. Oh wait...

Bamashooter
October 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
I voted 1 AR and no AK but I do have a mini-14 to go along with my AR. I have owned SKS's and an AK in the past but I just really dont like the 7.62x39rd. I would much rather have another 5.56 to go with the AR than a 7.62x39 AK. My issues with the x39 are its underpowered. 123gr. bullet at 2300fps if your lucky. Communist ammo is garbage and quality brass cased ammo is overpriced. Im not saying there arent any out there but I have yet to see an AK that was more accurate than an AR. or my mini-14 for that matter.

Just my opinion based on my military and civilian experience with these platforms.

p loader
October 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
A few AR's, Mini, M1A and some odds and ends.

No desire to own an AK although I (like others) can't find anything wrong with the platform. I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere.

spacecoast
October 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
My issues with the x39 are its underpowered. 123gr. bullet at 2300fps if your lucky. Communist ammo is garbage and quality brass cased ammo is overpriced. Im not saying there arent any out there but I have yet to see an AK that was more accurate than an AR. or my mini-14 for that matter.

Note, the 123 gr. 7.62x39 round carries at least 10% more muzzle energy and 60% more initial momentum than the 55 gr. 5.56x45, and thus hits harder at short range. Maybe my AK is the exception, and I'm not saying you can't do better with your AR or Mini-14, but I did shoot this 1.6" group with my Lancaster AK last weekend using the stock iron sights and "garbage" Communist ammo.

Interesting note... the 6mm PPC used for high-precision benchrest shooting is formed from .220 Russian brass, a round which was derived from the 7.62x39 cartridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_mm_PPC

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/AK/DSC02399_zpsfbbde090.jpg

Interesting poll results so far... it seems that the total number of AR users is roughly double that of AK users. I had expected it to be more lopsided given the relative number of posts about each. Maybe it's the nature of the two platforms.

shoptroll
October 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
We built an AR for my son over the winter and I picked up an AK-74 in the spring. The AR is much more accurate with the peep sight and it's lighter and made with much more precision. It's also the Harley-Davidson of tactical weapons....meaning it's infinitely changeable to your tastes with a massive aftermarket. The AK blade and notch with the rear sight half way up the gun just can't match the peep on an AR IMO. Adding a red dot got the AK pretty close to the AR. The beauty of the AK-74 is it's just plain old cheap to shoot and fun! We reload for the AR. The AK steel cases just get picked up with a magnet and thrown in a bucket to haul in for scrap. Besides, if I wanted to reach out and touch something at distance.....I have a .308 bolt and a 30-06 bolt for that.

mavracer
October 20, 2012, 07:06 AM
Interesting poll results so far... it seems that the total number of AR users is roughly double that of AK users. I had expected it to be more lopsided given the relative number of posts about each. Maybe it's the nature of the two platforms.
Yes interesting, I believe the ARs versatility is the key.

Yung.gunr
October 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
One Saiga in .223 converted to AK style. I really like it. My brother and Dad both have DPMS ARs. The only thing I like better about them is the weight.

I would likely buy an AR if I had the $$ for a mid range to high end one.

Someone else had posted asking how many people bought an AK before knowing about the VZ-58. I can say I am one of them. I think I would buy a VZ-58 before an AR.

tahunua001
October 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
how many people bought an AK before knowing about the VZ-58
I actually used a couple VZ58s at my local range back at Camp Allen VA. I had ordered my WASR back home on leave and it was waiting at my brothers house so I wanted to fire a "similar weapon". since all their AKs had been shot to death all they had on hand at the time were VZ58s.

talk about different mechanics. still accuracy was quite lacking(compared to M16) and I left with a bruised shoulder, not normally something that happens with small cartridges like x39. I will conceed that I still like the VZ58 more than AK platform but even with a solid stock with limbsaver pad on it I doubt I would ever buy one. it gets rid of a lot of the control issues I had with the AK but parts interchangeability is completely off the table since so few actually use the VZ58.

raftman
October 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
still accuracy was quite lacking(compared to M16) and I left with a bruised shoulder, not normally something that happens with small cartridges like x39.

Thank you!

It seems a lot of people go around saying that the Vz.58 is far more accurate than the AK, and that it has lighter recoil, and I haven't found either to be true and I've had two Vz.58's (one from CAI one from Czech-Point). Sometimes I wonder if they've ever had one or fired one, or if they're simply assuming it... or maybe regurgitating something they've heard from someone who assumed it. Accuracy seems about the same as you'd get with a decent example of an AK, and with the folding stock and no muzzle break, the 58 is nasty little rifle to shoot. I like them a lot nonetheless and would probably trade my AR for one (as long as it's the D-Technik variety, rather than CAI).

rugerfreak
October 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
1 AR--1 Mini-30----with plans for another AR eventually

Had AK's---don;t like em

navajo
October 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
No AKs don't like them. Looking for another VZ 58, spend more ammo with it than all the rest of my rifles combined. 2 AR 15s and 2 AR 10s, Armalite of course.

armoredman
October 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
talk about different mechanics. still accuracy was quite lacking(compared to M16) and I left with a bruised shoulder, not normally something that happens with small cartridges like x39. I will conceed that I still like the VZ58 more than AK platform but even with a solid stock with limbsaver pad on it I doubt I would ever buy one. it gets rid of a lot of the control issues I had with the AK but parts interchangeability is completely off the table since so few actually use the VZ58.

Using the military issue folding stock, weren't you? I tried one after using the stock CzechpointUSA Sporter stock for some time, went for a Zahal folding stock, a far better stock that eliminated any recoil issues. The collapsible stock on the 5.56mm version seems to transmit more felt recoil than my Zahal stock. As for parts, Czechpointusa.com has every part you could need and more. :) Zahal and Mako stock aftermarket stuff as well. Yes, it didn't make a big splash with the Commie world when it came out - the Russkies didn't like competition with the AK. I have seen pictures of the vz-58 still in use in many dark corners of the world, and some not so dark like India. Still the currently longest serving original form select fire assault rifle in the world. ;)

It seems a lot of people go around saying that the Vz.58 is far more accurate than the AK, and that it has lighter recoil, and I haven't found either to be true and I've had two Vz.58's (one from CAI one from Czech-Point). Sometimes I wonder if they've ever had one or fired one, or if they're simply assuming it... or maybe regurgitating something they've heard from someone who assumed it. Accuracy seems about the same as you'd get with a decent example of an AK, and with the folding stock and no muzzle break, the 58 is nasty little rifle to shoot. I like them a lot nonetheless and would probably trade my AR for one (as long as it's the D-Technik variety, rather than CAI).

I assure you I shoot mine regularly, was plinking at 100 yards with the 7.62x39mm version at a 12x8 steel target and making it ring with every standing shot three days ago. Obviously this cannot be a real comparison of rifles, but the guy shooting a Saiga conversion, from the bench using the bipod at a steel target the same size as mine but at 75 yards...and missing it, gave me a LOT if dirty looks. I even had my friend who was shooting with me try it - she has fired perhaps 50 rounds of rifle ammo in her life, and she nailed the steel easily. No scope, 1X red dot. Like I told her, 100 yards is the minimum you should shoot a good rifle. I've used the 7.62x39mm version at 200 and hit a man sized target without serious difficulty, no magnification. I've used the 5.56mm version at 300 yards and hit the same steel target mentioned above, no video/photos, s feel free to doubt me. :)
I can say without hesitation that both of my SA vz-58 rifles are more accurate than any AK variant I have owned, which include Century WASRs and a Hungarian import, back in the early 1980s. I have never shot a top of the line AK, and wouldn't mind trying one sometime. I am also anything BUT a world class rifleman!:D

I made the following little goofy movie on the 80 yard line, just for some stock video, but it does show I'm shooting my favorite semi-auto rifle. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QgVMkhBwI&feature=g-upl

droptrd
October 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ive got 2 ARs in my collection. Both 556. I love shooting them. Ive just ordered a 6.8 upper.

I have no problem with the AKs. Ive just never got around to picking one up. I will own one some day though.

Ignition Override
October 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
Do most AK or SKS owners know about the "Tech Sights"? This is the only thing I've ever put on a gun, other than a sling, and should have done it years ago. The original rear leaf sight can be re-installed.

Even just the increased sight distance is a heck of an improvement. If possible, it would not surprise me if they design one for the Vz-58.

Rifleman1952
October 22, 2012, 06:52 AM
I own two AKs; an Arsenal SLR 95 and a Maadi. I have friends who own ARs of various makes. The ARs are like fancy sports cars and the AKs are like pickup trucks. The ARs are finely tuned machines, expensive and accurate. The ARs, I have fired, have ranged in price between $1400 and $2400. If I could afford it, I would buy one. I purchased my Arsenal for $299 and my Maadi for $239, back in the 90s. The Maadi is a decent AK, and with a red dot scope, is accurate enough for social work out to 200 yds. The Arsenal, with a milled receiver and a sweet trigger pull, is superior to every other AK I have handled. With just iron sights it is as accurate as some of the ARs I have fired out to 100 yds. Now that could be just because I'm more familiar with it than the ARs. At any rate, my Arsenal AK 47 is the one weapon I own, that I would never trade or sell. It has also more than doubled in value since my purchase.

I own my AKs in case I'm ever in a SHTF scenario, like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina or the LA riots back in the 90s or the recent London riots. High capacity semi-automatic rifles are "force multipliers." In a situation of great civil unrest and chaos, it is the best method to safeguard your home and family. Better yet, is if a few of your neighbors agree with that sentiment. I guess the bottom line is, if you can afford an AR, by all means get one. But the AK is a reliable, simple and dependable alternative for the rest of us.

Carne Frio
October 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have more than one of each and multiple calibers of each.
Both types are reliable and effective. Why limit yourself ?:D

tahunua001
October 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
The ARs are finely tuned machines, expensive and accurate. The ARs, I have fired, have ranged in price between $1400 and $2400. If I could afford it, I would buy one. I purchased my Arsenal for $299 and my Maadi for $239, back in the 90s.

I think all your friends are AR snobs :D I hate to break it to you but your Maadi AK is now a collector's item and almost impossible to find. your arsenal AK is now a $1,000+ rifle. decent budget brand ARs like the M&P15 or PSA15 are below $650. most are capable of MOA accuracy from factory.

Rifleman1952
October 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
tahunua001: Hey, thanks for the info about the value and collectability of my two AKs. It's also good to know that there are some reasonably priced choices in ARs out there as well. I guess I'm going to have to seriously think about adding an AR-15 to the safe. One more thing on the list for my wife to be mad at me about!:)

dean1818
October 23, 2012, 05:27 AM
I just bought my first AR a few weeks ago

A Bison Armory 6.8

The accuracy is amazing, and it isnt broken in yet.

My SKS is reliable, but after shooting tiny groups with the AR, 4-6 inch plus groups with the SkS, it has me wondering is I should trade up the sks for another AR.

(my wife says no more guns come home unless a gun leaves :rolleyes:)

scottd913
October 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have an SKS rifle. Why would I want a carbine that loses velocity and accuracy when compared to the SKS, particularly when dealing with an already underpowered round?

I totally agree with this seems that there will be alot of people leaving alot of expensive rifles to there children all stuffed in Mobile Homes.

Yes the Ar's are more accurate than the Ak's or the SKS but you cant tell me an AK is any more accurate than a SKS as far as reliable they're equal!

Seem to recall the only reason there is an AK-47 is because of the semi-auto ...full-auto issue right? can we go out and buy a fully automatic rifle?

for the most part people buy these for the SHTF scenarios and if ya really think about it 0-50 yards is the common battle field in a urban setting so who ever needs to self defend at 100+ yards are foolish. Thats murder not self defence...right? In the event we all go to a full out war wont the military issue us weapons?

tahunua001
October 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
tahunua001: Hey, thanks for the info about the value and collectability of my two AKs. It's also good to know that there are some reasonably priced choices in ARs out there as well. I guess I'm going to have to seriously think about adding an AR-15 to the safe. One more thing on the list for my wife to be mad at me about!
no problem, I love helping other people add stuff to the "make wife mad" list:D

Blade37db
October 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
Just about to finish my 2nd AR (it really is a sickness). While I appreciate AKs for their reliability, they don't really do anything for me. Actually going to trade one of my M1 Carbines (an AO) to finish my 2nd AR build (still keeping my Inland).

Rifleman1952
October 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
I totally agree with this seems that there will be alot of people leaving alot of expensive rifles to there children all stuffed in Mobile Homes.

That's sort of an insult to AR/AK owners, and to people who live in mobile homes. I'm mostly an AK guy (also have an SKS) but my experience with firearms owners, of all kinds, is that they are mostly responsible people. Because if you're not responsible with your firearms, there is a good chance you could end up seriously injured, dead, or in jail for harm caused to someone else. In fact, the proper care and safe handling of firearms is a great way to teach young people responsibility.

The shooting sports create a bond between the youngster with a $199 rifle at the range, right next to the old timer shooting his $1000 rifle with a $500 scope. It is great fun to discuss "which gun is best"; that's why we come to this wonderful forum but I will never disparage a fellow law abiding gun enthusiast for the gun he chooses. AR, AK or SKS; it's what makes life, and forums like this interesting. :D

vba
October 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
Voted for none and will not purchase in future.

Just have no interest in these types of firearms. Don't see myself, at my age, huffing around in the hills fighting off bad guys. Prefer a shotgun and handgun for a stand your ground type weapon. I'm a traditionalist that like bolt actions, shotguns and handguns (esp. 1911's).

Mr Budha
October 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
Own one AK, plan on buying one good AR. Got the AK first because it was just less expensive.

en-frame
October 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
I have several of both, because they are each fun to shoot, collect and study, in their own way. There are as many reasons to own and shoot these beasts as there are people who buy them. :D

Rifleman 173
October 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
I own several of each type of rifle. Both types of rifles have their pluses and minuses. AKs are reliable and shoot a heavier bullet when using the 7.62 X 39 type rifle. The ARs are more accurate and have a longer reach, like out to about 550 meters or so with a trained rifleman behind them.

ARs have enough reach that the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers use them for their primary sniper rifle.

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/sniping/Filipino%20MSSR.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSSR_rifle

Both kinds of rifles are fun to own and shoot.

Quentin2
October 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
I have three high tier ARs and a cheap WASR10. Love the AR platform but have a lot of fun with that cheap AK and lots of bang for the buck. I'll keep it!