PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Options for Optics.

JimDandy
October 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
Just got my AR (6920MP-B) - Its for the range.

I picked up some super cheap glass from Walmart and Amazon just so had tubes of various sizes to play with and see how they fit. So far:

The 6-24x50 varmint doesn't fit even with a cantilever mount At least not without removing the Magpul BUIS and getting a hand cramp every time I have to reach under and around the thing to get at the charging handle. BUT it does see over the tower out front-

The 1-4x24 would fit on the cantilever, and stare right at the giant center of that front sight tower.

I've been thinking about other options:

I could get a riser for the cantilever mount, and I THINK that would give me room for even the varmint scope. I don't have any idea what effect that might have on the 1-4x24 long eye relief. Maybe that plus the cantinlever scope would lift it high enough to see over the front sight post.

I have a Carry handle on the way for a more traditional BUIS than the magpul ones. I could stick a tube on top of the carry handle.

OR:

I could get a holographic sight and magnifier combo.

I could get a Trijicon Acog 4x32 but it seems a bit overkill to go to a range.

I'm not sure either of those would be worth it just for trips to the range. I wear cargo pants for the pockets not because I'm a wanna be Chairborne Ranger. However I'm open to convincing that they really are worthwhile for target shooting. Or any ideas/tips on mounting options whatsoever at this point. Well short of chopping the Space Needle off the front of my weapon.

10-96
October 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
If you get even a decent scope of 6x or more- you won't be able to see the front sight base. So I don't think that's as big of an issue as you think it is.

madcratebuilder
October 18, 2012, 06:21 AM
The fixed front sight post well always give some optical distortion. It is very minimal with some scopes depending on mount and magnification. Two solutions are low profile gas block or a folding front sight. For dedicated scoped AR's I use a low profile gas block, it's under the hand guard and I can keep the scope low. My 1-4 scoped rifle has a fold down FS.

Mount a scope over a buis can be a problem, not much room unless you mount the scope incredible high. Just use one, or the other. I did have a Matech under my M223 but took it off as it was just extra weight. It's a range toy, why have both sights mounted?

Scopes on AR's like larger charging handles, or a side charger.

Mobuck
October 18, 2012, 06:41 AM
Why does a rifle "for the range" need a BUIS???????
Take the damned thing off and get an extended charging handle latch. Simple and costs about $20.The front sight is also easily removed. Either by replacing the gas block or by simply sawing off the upper part above the gas block.
In the last 40 years of hunting(and other stuff unmentionable here), I've had exactly ONE scope failure. Even that one allowed me to still make a fatal shot even though seriously fogged. NEVER in all those years did I feel the need for a set of equipment and brush snagging sights hung on whatever rifle I was packing at the time.

Kansas Shooter
October 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
I've got a 4X32 ACOG sitting in a Larue mount on my 6920 that has a front sight post/gas block. I can see a hint of it in the bottom of the optic, but it's nowhere close to interfering with this particular sight (I had the same concern as mentioned). I've handled a rifle that had an Aimpoint with a 3X magnifier behind it, but never have shot with a magnifier. I know what you mean about not wanting too much magnification and I find myself removing the optic for iron sights inside of 20 yds. Haaving a magnifier that can be off-set in its mount would be nice.

Before I got my mount I was running my ACOG on my carry handle. That worked ok for what I was doing, but without a riser on the stock, I didn't get much of a cheak weld. Having it mounted on my receiver is a lot better (not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know...)

I have Badger Ordnance's extended latch on my .308 AR and I really like it. It's a lot easier to charge the weapon with the scope above.

JimDandy
October 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
I want the BUIS for being able to shoot with them from time to time without monkeying around with it much. One of the appealing things about the platform.. You can use a different accessory etc. and feel like you're firing an entirely different weapon like that.

Does anyone have any experience with mounting a scope on the carry handle?

How did it work out? How difficult to zero? Any features/specs I should look for? i.e. a larger MOA adjustment range available on brand XYZ?

Or sticking a holographic + magnifier on a flat top receiver wtih the tower still attached? Do they need a riser? I'm given to understand that this sort of setup is often used with co-witnessing your sights, does the magnifier dink with your perception of the front sight in the sight picture?