PDA

View Full Version : Which A2 lower?

DubC-Hicks
October 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a complete A2 lower for my PSA 20" upper. I'm looking to make it into an A4 clone. I've narrowed it down to Aero Precision, DS Arms, DPMS, and Double Star. I realize that for the most part, a lower is a lower, but I was wondering which brand you guys would go with. Thanks in advance. And I have searched everywhere for an answer, but there isn't much info on these brands. :mad: Not that I can find anyway.

10-96
October 15, 2012, 02:27 AM
I have a DPMS and a Double Star. Really, they both do exactly what they're supposed to do. I like what the Double Star site has to say about their manufacturing processes- right in line and to the same standards and specs as the Colt military contract specs.

Personally, I guess I would go with the Double Star.

Technosavant
October 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Any of them will be fine.

The only one I have any experience with is Aero Precision. They make lowers for many other companies; I don't know if they make any others you mentioned, but it's entirely possible those are AP lowers with different rollmarks. The one I used was in spec, not too tight, and would work for anything.

IMO, don't buy based on the rollmark- between those I'd just get whatever is cheapest.

DubC-Hicks
October 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
The Aero lower I'm looking at comes with a DPMS lpk and A2 stock. How is the quality of the DPMS stuff. I was originally set on the DS Arms, but it seems like they all come with a notched hammer and I'm not sure if that will work fine. I'm running an auto carrier in the upper.

Eghad
October 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
DPMS stuff will work just fine.

Technosavant
October 15, 2012, 01:49 PM
I have DPMS LPKs in a few of my rifles. The hammer pins in a couple wanted to go walking on me, so I replaced them with KNS anti-rotation type. Otherwise, they're just fine- you shouldn't have a problem; the third rifle has been just fine with no issues.

The notched hammer won't mean a thing to you either way.

BerdanSS
October 15, 2012, 07:27 PM
I'd go with

Areo
RockRiver
Yankee Hill Machine

Not in any certain order, put them alphabetic order so it cant be read into to much

Mobuck
October 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
The lowers are all the same. It's the stock that's "an A2".

DubC-Hicks
October 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
I know, I was just referring to a complete lower that came assembled with an A2 stock. So I believe I will go with the Aero lower. Does anybody know how well the finish matches PSA? Or if any of the others match better?

Achilles11B
October 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
PSA and CMMG have worked well for me, and CMMG LPK's are as good as any mil-spec ones I've come across.