PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1-A Scout

jo-jo
October 12, 2012, 12:04 PM
I have an M1-A scout that is the worst copper fowling gun i own, i bought it new and it has 800 rounds thru it. I tried bore lapping it with fine valve grinding compound, and then semi-chrome polish--20 laps each and its a little better but not much----will have to do it some more.
I am not very happy with it for the $$ it cost, the quality is lacking.
They are in such demand that i think they are cranking them out as fast as they can-----like Ruger did with the mini-14 when there quality went south.
They have since brought there quality back up.
I hope Springfield does the same.
The best copper fowling remover i have found is M-pro 7, it works well, but is still a ton of work every time you shoot it.

GregM
October 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
I feel the same about then you do. Quality very lacking. I sold mine and bought a Polytech with all USGI parts. Sad to say, but its better in every way. Could I have put all USGI parts in the Springfield. Yeah, and been into it for nearly 2k. I'm into the Polytech for under $700.

GregM

SmokyBaer
October 15, 2012, 06:46 AM
I snagged my Scout used for less than a grand and couldn't be happier. If the fouling is really really bad, i strongly suggest calling Springfield and complaining. No need for detailing everything you've done. Just tell them it ain't right. Hopefully, as i have heard others say, Springfield will send a shipper and have you send your rifle back for a new barrel. You'd be out for a few weeks but they should make it right.

If you decide to do that, PLEASE update us on how they honor the lifetime warranty.

Eghad
October 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
I second a call to SA.

I hear good things about KG-12 copper cleaner

GeauxTide
October 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
SA service is outstanding. Haven't had that trouble with mine.