PDA

View Full Version : tips on buying a ruger 10/22?

cajun47
October 2, 2012, 01:19 PM
im gonna pickup a regular wood stock n blue barrel 10/22 at academy or wal mart for under $200.

is there a difference? like does academy or other stores get better 10/22s?

cause i bought one at wal mart long ago and its a p.o.s. jam master but it seems like everyone on the internet has a good one. my brother has one he never did anything to. not even a scope. he never took it apart to clean, just sprays whatever in the action every few years. he runs it dry pretty much. IT DOES NOT MALFUNCTION.

dos0711
October 2, 2012, 01:25 PM
Shouldn't be any difference. Buy it. Shoot it.

Brian Pfleuger
October 2, 2012, 01:36 PM
They're all the same.

Pahoo
October 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
cajun
Normally I try to stay on point to what the OP is asking. In this case, I will break one of my own rules and suggest that you find an older used one. I say this because the newer ones are getting cheaper but they are still that good. ... :confused:
As far as the difference from one store to another, on this basic carbine model, it should make no difference. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

BoomieMCT
October 2, 2012, 05:10 PM
I must have gotten the "other" bad one. I had one. It shot okay (but not great). I could not go through a whole mag without having a jam though. New mags, old ones, many types of ammo, it didn't matter.

I think I got it at Sports Authority back when they still sold guns.

Ended up selling it and getting a CZ. Never looked back.

tahunua001
October 2, 2012, 06:26 PM
no real difference, there are several different options available but all of the $200 range ones are the basic carbine version with wood or synth stocks, any of the "better" options are usually $350 and up.

G. Freeman
October 4, 2012, 06:08 PM
The first thing I would change with a 10/22 is to install a VQ exact edge extractor. That $12.00 investment should take care of a majority of potential failures in the 10/22. Secondly, during test-firing, just use Ruger brand mags.

I just bought my 1st Ruger 10/22 (I've been an avid handgunner for almost 25 yrs!). In a week, I have put close to 800 rounds of Federal & Remington bulk with not a single failure. Will be shooting it again this coming weekend and the next!