PDA

View Full Version : Just purchase the ruger mini 14, what would be the best ammo?

bobbart
September 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
Just purchase the ruger mini 14, what would be the best ammo?
I hear that some ammo are coated with wax....keeps the bore oil.

Need your help on this one.

Thanks,
bobbart

Crow Hunter
September 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Just purchase the ruger mini 14, what would be the best ammo?
I hear that some ammo are coated with wax....keeps the bore oil.

Need your help on this one.

Thanks,
bobbart

The one that shoots the best in your gun that does what you want to the target you want to shoot.

There isn't a best.

You need to choose what you want to shoot, pick several rounds that are best suited for that application, buys several boxes of each and see how they perform in your gun.

Then get a bunch of the ones that work the "best" for you.

bobbart
September 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Its for target shooting.
I'm talking about brand name for the .223

Thanks,
Bobbart

the rifleer
September 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Oddly enough, (I'll probaby get heat for this) tulu steel ammo shoots pretty tight groups with my mini 14. I had some nice polished brass ammo that didn't shoot as well as the tulu stuff. I'm really not kidding, I got 3 shots almost touching each other, certainly about a 1/2 inch group at about 50 yards or so. I didn't actually measure anything, but i was impressed. Its pretty cheap and worth a try.

Crow Hunter
September 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Its for target shooting.
I'm talking about brand name for the .223

You should go out and get several different brands of FMJ and see which your rifle likes the best.

Just get one box of each from your local fun store and take them to the range and see which give you the best "bang for the buck". Pun intended.

stu925
September 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
American Eagle 55gr. FMJ shoots pretty well in my Mini. It may not work well in yours though, every gun is different and likes different ammo. I haven't shot a lot of factory ammo through my rifle though since I reload and am still working on a load for my rifle. As mentioned I would buy a bunch of different ammo and see which one your rifle likes best.

Stu

tobnpr
September 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Listen to the above. You need to try different weight bullets, from different manufacturers. The one in 9 twist is limited to about 69 grain bullets (mag length is going to limit loading, anyway). The 69 grain Sierra Match King is one of the most popular target bullets for the round.

If you want match results, you need match ammo. Something along the lines of Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills. I doubt the rifle would know the difference, though- but it would be interesting to see.

Does Ruger provide the procedure for adjusting the harmonic dampener?