PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SLR-107F

Snub357
September 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Picked this up today. An Arsenal SLR-107F. Should be fun.

http://i.imgur.com/hSMk2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U9ETC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fd1x0.jpg

RT
September 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hell yeah. Very nice

plouffedaddy
September 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Tough to beat the Bulgarian AKs... Is it a "F" or "FR"?

Snub357
September 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
F. I believe the FR's are folders with a scope rail.

plouffedaddy
September 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Ah yes. You are correct sir; my mistake.

barefoot
September 24, 2012, 02:13 PM
So what's the difference between an SLR-107 and an SGL-21? I'm guessing the SLR is Bulgarian and the SGL is Russian, but what else if anything?

Snub357
September 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
I think thats it.

plouffedaddy
September 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
So what's the difference between an SLR-107 and an SGL-21? I'm guessing the SLR is Bulgarian and the SGL is Russian, but what else if anything?

SLR has a folder, SGL does not.

SLR barrel is cold hammer forged from the Steyr machinery. SGL barrel is cold hammer forged in Lenin's tears :D I kid, I kid. The barrel is slightly different than the SLR but it is a fine barrel; the industry standard really.

biohazurd
September 27, 2012, 02:44 AM
She is a beauty! IMO arsenal aks are the best of the best of the ak world. Honestly if the Shtf an arsenal would be my rifle of choice for defence hunting ect.

raftman
September 27, 2012, 04:04 AM
SLR has a folder, SGL does not.

There are SGL folders, they're the ones with the "94" designation, that is the SGL21-94 or SGL31-94 are folders.

IMO arsenal aks are the best of the best of the ak world.

They're pretty great (have one myself), but hard to say they're the best AK's on the market; they're definitely up there and anything better is generally going to cost a lot more more money.

plouffedaddy
September 27, 2012, 06:51 AM
There are SGL folders, they're the ones with the "94" designation, that is the SGL21-94 or SGL31-94 are folders.

Correct. Most people think of the 61 or 71s though when they think of the SGLs but you are correct.

Snub357
September 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
They are SO mechanically simple, I'm not real sure what makes one AK better than another. But I suppose its the steel and the barrel.

raftman
September 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
They are SO mechanically simple, I'm not real sure what makes one AK better than another. But I suppose its the steel and the barrel.

The barrel is a big part, but there's also a lot of "attention to detail" type aspects, some of which is aesthetic but some actually matters in terms of function. Lower-end AK's, like those produced by Century for example will more commonly have more sharp edges, sloppier mag wells, canted front sights and gas blocks, etc.

For another example, got to try out a Zastava PAP M70 recently and found that the receiver cover wiggles freely left to right a couple of millimeters in each direction, and have seen others with the same problem so it wasn't unique to the particular one I got to try. The PAP doesn't have a standard AK rail, but rather has a rail on the aforementioned wobbly top-cover, meaning your optic is guaranteed not to hold zero.

I am a fan of the AK design, but as with any design, there are way to execute it well, ways to screw it up, and ways to come up with something in between.