PDA

View Full Version : Henry survival rifle

belveflowslykh20
September 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
wondering if anyone knows anything about these or has any experience with them. wondering how they function and how reliable they are.Thanks in advance

hornet41
September 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Never had a lick of trouble with mine. Feed it high velocity ammo though!!:)

bamaranger
September 15, 2012, 01:30 AM
Bought one for the boy about a year ago, I'd always been intriged with the design. The trigger was awful at first, but has improved some. So far, 500 rds or so, it has been completely reliable with the 3 mags we have and bulk ammo. It zeroed easily at 50 yds.

We often tear it down and throw it in the trunk w/ 500 rds of ammo for road trips, etc.

chris in va
September 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
The one I had was absolute junk. Couldn't get it to fire more than three rounds. On top of that , the hollow stock really made it sound weird.

mySig229
September 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
I've heard good and bad about the Henry. Ruger now has a "take down" model. Pretty slick and they come with the bag. I chose the Ruger myself.

Food for thought

jmortimer
September 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
"I've heard good and bad about the Henry"
I have heard good and bad about the AR-7 but not about current Henry production. This Liberalpedia aka Wikipedia article pretty much sums it up-

"Armalite sold the design to Charter Arms in 1973. According to some accounts posted by enthusiasts, this is where quality began to deteriorate.[6] Barrels were said to have a tendency to warp. Other sources state that the first production at Charter had problems which were corrected in later production runs.[2] Since Charter Arms sold the design and rights to Henry Repeating Arms in 1980, the Henry AR-7 has regained a reputation for reliability."

Doc TH
September 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
I had a Charter Arms version. It was adequate. The stock attachment to the frame was w. a plastic bolt that, unsurprisingly, fractured. Reliability was mediocre. The fat stock and bare barrel made handling awkward. I replaced it with a Marlin Papoose which although not as light, was superior in most respects. Today, I'd choose a 10-22 takedown model.

Eldoron
March 26, 2013, 03:34 PM
I know this is an old thread but I had to answer. I just bought a Henry AR-7 and I love it! I have about 100 rounds through it and most of that was old ammo I wanted to burn up and I did not have one FTF,FTE or any other problem. That was in a brand new rifle. Sights are what they are and I shot a 2" group at 25 yards. The gun did what I expected it to do. A keeper for me.

jason41987
March 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
ive never really liked the ideas of .22lrs and semi automatics.. i mean, id love to live in a perfect world where they work well, but we dont, and the rims do cause issues in just about any semi automatic rifle, but like any other rimmed rimfire cartridge they seem to do really well in lever actions

Willie Sutton
March 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
Carried a Charter Arms one in a milk crate in the back of my Suburban for a decade, along with jumper cables, a hydraulic bottle jack, recovery webbing, and whatever old milkshake cups happened to get tossed there. I shot it often, taking rabbits for dinner now and again, plinking at cans, and generally just using it. I put at least 5000 rounds thru it. It never mis-fed, never jammed, always worked, and was just a good working tool. One day it went missing. I never figured out where it went, stolen or... ?? Just dunno. That was over ten years ago. I'll pick up a Henry the next time I see one.

Carry a Springfield M-6 now in the same role. One of the US made ones. I liked the AR-7 better.

Willie

KROIL
March 26, 2013, 05:41 PM
I had the Charter Arms version. It was very ammo picky and not very accurate. I sold it.

lee n. field
March 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
"Armalite sold the design to Charter Arms in 1973. According to some accounts posted by enthusiasts, this is where quality began to deteriorate.[6] Barrels were said to have a tendency to warp. Other sources state that the first production at Charter had problems which were corrected in later production runs.[2] Since Charter Arms sold the design and rights to Henry Repeating Arms in 1980, the Henry AR-7 has regained a reputation for reliability."

Interesting. I wonder if that date is correct. I had a Charter AR-7 that I bought in the early '80s. From Penny's, of all places. Try that now.

Mine wasn't real good. First one I had, had the screw hole for the stock bolt drilled wrong. Penny's swapped it. The second one tangled the action springs the first time I fired it. never was real reliable or accurate. Though, the accurate part could have been me. It's long gone.

Mausermolt
March 26, 2013, 10:47 PM
my grandfather carried one in his airplane he used to fly to AK every fall, then throw it in his boat when salmon fishing. he liked it because if it somehow end up in the dink, it would float! ive shot it a few times with regular bulk ammo plinking at tin cans and such. never had any problems with it. seems to be a decent little rifle for occasional use. not sure what version it was.

DMZX
March 27, 2013, 09:54 AM
I had the Charter Arms version. It was very ammo picky and not very accurate. I sold it.

That mirrors my experience as well. I sold mine and bought a Ruger MKII. I Still have that.

L_Killkenny
March 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Had a Henry AR7 a year or two after they came out cause I always wanted one. Mine double and triple tapped out of the gate and had to have it worked on by the LGS where I bought it. Never was that reliable even after that but one thing I figured out with em......

Even when/if they work they are perhaps the most ill handling, ill conceived guns of the 20th century. Any decent .22lr handgun is a better, more usable firearm.

KROIL
April 1, 2013, 05:14 PM
One other thing I forgot - when you break it down to store in its buttstock the parts somtimes stick in there and are hard to pull out. I lubed up the holes that the barrel and receiver fit in , cant remember what I used , but it desolved the foam in the stock and gooed the heck out of the inserted parts. Was not real happy bout that !