PDA

View Full Version : CCI Stinger or velociter

ESI Agent
September 8, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have a Ruger 10/22,SR22 and two 22/45 and was wondering is it safe to shoot stinger out of them. From what I have read it's safe to shoot the cci velociter but not the stinger due to it's length and powder amount. Any info would be helpful. Thanks:D

idek
September 8, 2012, 05:41 PM
I can only comment on the 10/22, because I don't have the others.

My understanding is that the 10/22 can definitely shoot Stingers with the factory barrel (I've done it plenty of times). Issues may arise if you use a barrel with a tighter match chamber, as the longer Stinger cases may not eject properly. I still don't think it's hazardous to you or the gun. It just may hinder functioning.

tahunua001
September 8, 2012, 06:16 PM
my family regularly shoots stingers out of both their 22/45s and 10/22s. we have never seen ill effects from shooting them. the only issue is that in pistols they tend to hit much higher than standard velocity.

bamaranger
September 8, 2012, 06:53 PM
I am fairly certain that the mfg of "Stingers"/CCI advises they are safe to use in all firearms chambered for .22lr in good condition. I have heard that due to the light bullet weight and recoil pulse (for want of a better phrase) that some semi's will not cycle them reliably. There is no doubt they hit harder and expand well.

They do cost more. My practice is to set one rifle up with Stingers, ususally a bolt assigned to pest duty. Low rate of fire equals lower cost. My 10/22 semi is set up as a plinker for cheaper bulk ammo.

nazshooter
September 8, 2012, 09:50 PM
Stingers work great in my MKII and I'm sure they'd be fine in your 22/45.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

PH/CIB
September 8, 2012, 10:58 PM
A friend and I just bought a bunch of 22 ammo to test in rifles and handguns, CCI stingers and velocitors and mini mags, Wolf target, Remington Thunderbolt, CCI tactical and 40 grain lead round nose, and Winchester Varmit HE. My friend and his wife were complaining about my general use of Federal bulk pack and the occasional jam or failure to fire.

I am bringing a Ruger 10/22 rifle and Browning 22 semi auto rifle and CZ 22 rifle to test the ammo plus a Browning Buckmark pistol, a Ruger MkIII pistol, and an old Sig Trailside pistol when we test the ammo, my friend will add his guns to the equation.

I dislike really hot ammo because I think it is hard on firearms, so I called Ruger they have two places to call in different locations in the US, Ruger said the hotter ammo, Stingers Velocitors etc were ok in regular 10/22 rifles but not in the target 10/22 rifles, and ok in the new SR22 pistols but not recommended in their MkIII pistols. Browning said it was ok in their Buckmark pistols and their 22 rifles. Smith and Wesson/ Walther said it was ok in their pistols. Sig said it was ok in their pistols. You can easily call all those manufacturers to verify the results for yourself. That said, since I do not use a 22 for self defense, I still dislike using the hotter ammo and for better reliability would probably suggest my friend switch to the mini mags while I stick with the Federal Bulk Pack.

That being said I can't wait until after harvest to get down to my friends farm in Missouri to try out all those different brands and types of 22 ammo!

idek
September 9, 2012, 12:47 AM
PH/CIB, what do you think you're doing calling the manufacturers and getting information directly from the horse's mouth?!!

This is an internet forum! We need speculation and hearsay, not indisputable facts!

batmann
September 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
LOL----Remember, these forums are where facts become opinions and opinions become facts and those 'facts' become legends.
Just kidding, this is one of more useful forums around and glad you posted the info you got. It should help answer a lot of questions regarding 'hot' .22LR ammo.

Zen Archery
September 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
I box of 50 I had 1 miss feed with Stingers. But I didn't care for them accuracy wise.

tulsamal
September 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
I've tried both of those rounds on various occasions. And Stingers do hit hard. I've just never gotten great accuracy with them. In my hands and in my guns, I've done better with Remington Yellow Jackets. I started using them well, it seems like decades ago. Whenever they came out. And I was very impressed with how well they killed things like large snapping turtles. And they showed me decent enough accuracy to hit the darn things in the heads when they popped up next to my fishing bobbers. They have killed a lot of skunks for me as well. Certainly don't leave the barrel as fast as a Stinger but they have a lot more terminal energy than standard .22 LR. Well worth checking out in your rifle.

Gregg

m_liebst
September 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
I finally tried a few stingers in my 22/45, but like the majority, found them to be inaccurate while trying to produce groups in a rested position. They make a much louder report though..

I occasionally run a few velocitors through the 22/45 now and then when hunting squirrels or rabbits up north. The Velocitors seem to do much better than the Stingers in terms of accuracy and they carry more weight down range.

I wouldn't recommend giving your pistol a steady diet of any of these hotter ammo, but putting a few rounds now and then shouldn't produce any ill effects.

Given that, I definitely prefer using the velocitors over the stingers.

1. Because the Velocitors are more accurate and have more energy down range.

2. The Velocitors use the standard length .22lr case, instead of the over length case used by the Stingers.

Stressfire
September 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
What does your owner's manual say? Not sure about the 10/22 but the manual for my Marlin specifically warns against hyper-velocity ammo due to the beating that it gives the plastic recoil buffer.

That said, I did it anyways for about 100 rounds and it was crazy-accurate with the Stingers

m_liebst
September 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
That said, I did it anyways for about 100 rounds and it was crazy-accurate with the Stingers

What type of twist is the barrel on your Marlin. Is it 1 in 16 ratio like my ruger?.. I haven't had a any luck with with my 10/22 shooting groups when using Stingers.

I read that the Stingers require a faster twist ratio: 1 in 9, - to better stabilize the faster/ lighter projectile.

I think the biggest concern with using Stingers is: if you have a match chambered barrel- a "Benzt" reamed chamber/ Throat,- or something to that standard. The match chambers have a much tighter/ exacting fit and placement on-to the rifling, which can become damaged or effected by the stingers longer case length.

If you have a standard barrel, then Stingers shouldn't raise much concern.

coyota1
September 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
My 10/22 will cycle anything, but I didn't get good groups with the stinger either. If I were shooting a varmint at close range then the stinger would be great, but it groups best with high velocity, particularly CCI, or Winchester. Being one for shot placement, Get CCI hp's and hit what you are aiming at.