PDA

View Full Version : Patriot - POF

Tonapah
September 5, 2012, 08:17 AM
So ... I have been working on building my own AR and I've been having some trouble finding the parts I want. In my research, I'm noticing that many of the high end uppers are on back order.

As I'm delving more, I get to talking to the guys at Patriot regarding their P415 model. They seem quite informative and quite helpful. I start leaning toward just ordering a complete rifle.

I tell my buddy, who informs me of a potential quality change that seems concerning. He tells me about the lawsuit between Hogan and Patriot and that Patriot is now supplied by another company. He doesn't disparage Patriot and I'm not doing so either. I'm simply trying to find out if Patriot is still a high end manufacturer. Certainly demand seems lower as they have complete uppers and complete rifles readily available.

Are they still a quality builder?

Thanks
Tona

Quentin2
September 5, 2012, 02:56 PM
Can't help as far as that rifle but there are plenty of quality factory built ARs you can have shipped to your FFA. Or you can by a stripped lower locally then have everything else, including a complete factory built upper, delivered to your door. I recently bought a BCM upper and can recommend them highly.

RyeDaddy
September 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
POF has not changed and are not going anywhere. Shoot one if you can, it will sell itself. I have a P-308 and it's fantastic. The fallout between them and Hogan only meant that now POF has someone else doing their machine work, not Hogan. Switching machine shops is not a death kiss to quality. POF is still doing their own assembly and QC, all the rifles I've seen and shot (3) in the last 3 months are the same quality as mine that was built 2 years ago.

Behind the scenes supplier chain may have changed, but the build quality has not. AND- they're still using melonite treated Rock Creek barrels, my P-308 will out shoot all my factory bolt actions and the barrel will outlast them too.

Basement-Gunsmith-Z
September 5, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have several POF guns, two of which i recently bought. Since POF stopped using hogan their quality IMPROVED. My p415 18 inch barrel is consistently shooting 2/3 MOA, and Same with a p308. Heck you can hita 16 inch plate at a mile with a p308. I have also seen NO problems with heat stringing.

The barrels aren't melonite treated, they're case hardened to around 70 RC. The case hardening process doesn't affect the shape of the bore so accuracy is still outstanding. Most of their barrels last well over 20k rounds without losing accuracy. I like the np3 plated bolt carriers too. And a monolithic rail is nice.

Overall I have nothing bad to say about POF. I think they're past their growing pains now and aren't going anywhere. The only problem i have seen is that there is sometimes a bit of play between the receivers, You can fix it with an accuwedge, bedding the lower, or with an oversized pin.

Compared to Larue, Noveske, and other ARs they match the quality and accuracy for a better price. Plus they come with more goodies than the other two: np3, piston, fully ambidextrous. And they're only about .5 pounds heavier than a larue obr with the piston system and full ambidextrous controls.

I actually use my p415 with an 18 inch barrel out to 1000 yards and can hit a 16 inch steel plate every time. And by hit i don't mean ding the edge, i mean hit the thing. You can get a p415 for around $1700 to $1800 if you look around.

RyeDaddy
September 6, 2012, 10:10 AM
The barrels aren't melonite treated, they're case hardened to around 70 RC.

:rolleyes:

So you're saying that Melonite is not a salt bath ferritic nitriding process that hardens steel on the surface to 70 RC?

FWIW, I'll recant my statement. POF does not use Melonite(TM), their barrels are treated via a liquid ferritic nitrocarburizing process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing#section_2

Scroll to processes, educate thyself.

Basement-Gunsmith-Z
September 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
So you're saying that Melonite is not a salt bath ferritic nitriding process that hardens steel on the surface to 70 RC?

FWIW, I'll recant my statement. POF does not use Melonite(TM), their barrels are treated via a liquid ferritic nitrocarburizing process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferriti...zing#section_2

Scroll to processes, educate thyself.

Dangit, i knew that. Sometimes my hand just types:p I shouldn't be allowed on the computer after 10. Sorry for any confusion i might of caused.