PDA

View Full Version : Holographic reflex in bright sun

motorhead0922
September 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
I just put an Aimshot HG Pro reflex sight on my S&W M&P15, and I love it... except in bright sun. I was trying to dial it in at the range yesterday, and the reticle was almost impossible to see when aimed at a target printed on white paper on a sunny day. This is disappointing, because everything else about this type of sight is great: both eyes open, and easy to get on target except for the sun problem.

Is this typical of all HG reflex sights? If not, what works and how much do I have to spend?

Creeper
September 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
Is this typical of all HG reflex sights? If not, what works and how much do I have to spend?

No, it's not typical of all holo sights, but I'm afraid it is more typical of sights at or below a certain price point. The Aimshot is a perfectly good low/mid-priced holo sight, but to be able to see it in bright sunlight, you'll probably need to spend more. Sounds a bit cheesy, but you might want to consider a homemade "shade" for it.

As I've not tested every holo sight ever made, I can't say at what price point you'll have "sunlight success"... but I can tell you that Trijicon, Meprolight, Zeiss and EOtech have very little to no issues with sunlight flair or glare.

Unless it's a safety critical issue, you may just want to live with the limitations.

C

motorhead0922
September 3, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Creeper. Just to be clear, I was aiming from shade, and the target was in the sun, so flare on the optic was not an issue. The reticle just wasn't bright enough to be seen against the white target.

Creeper
September 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
Gotcha.

Without a side by side comparison between your holo and say, a EOtech or Trijicon (the two you are most likely to encounter), it's tough to say if your reticle brightness is "bright enough". Perhaps on your next outing, you might find someone with a more high end holo for comparison... that'd be the best real world reference I could suggest.

Good luck with it,
C

Jeffstateglass
September 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
This suggestion is not meant to be demeaning, so please excuse if you've already tried this.

I've had a couple of Aimshot HGM2 holos and never experienced the problem you describe in bright sunlight. They were correctly adjust to maximum intensity at the factory and were go to go out of the box. Once I became familiar with them, I actually dimmed them under certain circumstances when lighting was "dreary" such as a winter day with heavy cloud cover.

I recently acquired a new HG ProC. After the initial go around readjusting the lockdown quick release lever to fit the flat top rail on my DelTon upper (a common complaint with the HG Pro but an easy fix), I turned the holo on in my office to get a feel for it. It seemed a little less intense that the HGM2's but still adequate; inside...

Once outside, I experienced what you described. I made a dash back inside to read the directions about the dim / brighten procedure and then made the adjustment by pushing the brightness control button (it's not marked as such) on the left side of the holo, just in back of the battery access cap.

That solved it. It's right as rain now. Hope your fix is as simple as mine! Good luck.

BillM
September 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
The small open reflex sights--Docter, Fastfire, STS, have a sensor on them
that adjusts the dot intensity depending on ambient light. It's not perfect.
Shooting into sunlight from shade will sometimes mess with it. You can make
the dot brighter across the range by increasing the diameter of the hole
in front of the sensor.

The bigger reflexes don't seem to use the auto intensity feature for some reason, and some of them just do not have enough horsepower to be
bright enough in bright light. Same problem with some of the lower end
illuminated reticle scopes--I've experienced it with the Millett DMS-1.

One possible fix--a lot of the reflex sights use a single 2032 battery. It's
possible to stack 2 2016 batteries in the same space, doubling the
voltage. You have to insulate the side contact on the lower battery
so they are in series, but it's doable. Arrendondo used to sell a little
kit to do it on the Docter sights.

rep1954
September 12, 2013, 05:57 PM
If ones spends a little time and examine the Aimshot and Trijicon websites you will see that their sights are not holographic. The EOTech is in fact a true holographic sight.

motorhead0922
September 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Wow, I had forgotten all about this old thread.

Shortly after I posted this, I returned the Aimpoint and got an Eotech XPS2-0. It is fantastic. Handles everything from pitch black to brightest sunlight.

Fishbed77
September 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
I can see my Aimpoint PRO just fine in bright light on the medium setting (7).

Theohazard
September 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
Shortly after I posted this, I returned the Aimpoint and got an Eotech XPS2-0. It is fantastic. Handles everything from pitch black to brightest sunlight.
In your original post you said the sight was an Aimshot. Aimshot sights are cheap and it's not surprising that you couldn't see it in bright sunlight. But Aimpoints are top-of-the-line sights; if you couldn't see it in bright daylight then there was something wrong. On my Aimpoint I've never had to turn it all the way up to see it in bright daylight.

Indi
September 13, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a batteryless trijicon rmr on my fnp tactical and if I'm in a dark room looking into a lighted room the amber triangle washes away. If I'm in the dark and have my gun light on it washes the triangle away. If I'm outside in light it works fine.

motorhead0922
September 13, 2013, 11:51 AM
In your original post you said the sight was an Aimshot.

My bad, Theohazard. It would have been an Aimshot. I'm glad folks are having good results with their Aimpoints.