PDA

View Full Version : .45 Win Mag

STW
September 2, 2012, 07:50 PM
Visiting a friend yesterday who showed me an interesting M1 Carbine.
He had it converted to .45 Winchester Magnum.
He's used it for deer hunting, just because he can but mostly it's a fun gun.
He discovered early on that he had to restock it. The original wood stock became kindling after a short or three so he uses a laminate stock with a pillar inset behind the action to help absorb and spread the recoil.

(He also had a "baby sharps" in .218 Bee that he's taken to Africa and used for camp meat with a second barrel in 38-40. What a sweet little rifle.)

10-96
September 2, 2012, 11:11 PM
I remember reading an article on the M1 Carbine conversions when I was overseas in '03 or '04. The author said they had some growing pains with their first attempts, I'm glad to see the issues got ironed out. My first thoughts on the article were "Wow, what a fun setup that critter must be!" I don't know who was doing that conversion, or who did your friends- but I'm glad to hear it's running smoothly. Up to that point, I'd only heard of the little M1's being converted to a 5.7 Johnson Spitfire. Too bad that didn't catch on.

Thanks for sharing!

Creeper
September 2, 2012, 11:56 PM
He had it converted to .45 Winchester Magnum.
Love to see a photo of that one.
5.7 Johnson Spitfire. Too bad that didn't catch on.
It never did catch on as well as it probably should have, 'cause it's a pretty efficient round, but it is still around. $70 bucks for 50 loaded rounds from Ammo One. Fulton Armory used to sell a conversion barrel for the M1 Carbine for around $180.
Occasionally, a complete Fulton Armory or IAI M1C in 5.7 turns up at one of the online auction sites... I've considered buying one, but the price is usually a little on the insane side. ;)

Cheers,
C

gak
September 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
Something like LeMag or some such did the conversions. IIRC, definitely a "do-not-try-this-at-home" proposition.