PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what kind of AK47 this is?

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hello,
I've inherit this gun and am trying to find out what version of the ak47 this is and if its pre ban. Ive waded through so much info that I'm frustrated and lost. Any help would be greatly appriciated, the serial is 386p47-023181 if that helps. http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83407&stc=1&d=1346540782

WIL TERRY
September 1, 2012, 06:14 PM
LOOKS like a RUSSIAN version. Are the markings on it in CYrillic ?
Don't just stand there, give us some information, it is all over the gun usually.

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
No, I don't see any writing on it, it does say made in China Poly tech 7.62 39MM, anything else I can look at to see what type it might be?

Dfariswheel
September 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
As above, we need more info.
There should be an importers and possibly a makers stamp on the receiver, usually on the left side.

The actual receiver is a milled receiver. These were imported into the US by the Chinese and Bulgarians, possibly others.

EDIT:
You have one of the Chinese milled AK Polytech rifles.
These were considered to be one of the better AK milled rifles and typically bring higher prices.

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
This might sound stupid but I found one that looks similar could it be a Chinese SKS?

Dfariswheel
September 1, 2012, 06:27 PM
No. The SKS is a totally different design rifle, nothing at all like an AK.

Microgunner
September 1, 2012, 06:31 PM
It's a milled receiver AK. Very disirable whoever made it.

Poly Tech was the best of the Chinese imports.

Dfariswheel
September 1, 2012, 06:34 PM
More info:

These AK-47 milled rifles were made in China by a commercial side of a military rifle plant. They called themselves Poly Technologies, Inc.
There were two importers. The first was PTK International in Atlanta, the second and bigger importer was Keng's Firearms Specialties in Riverdale California.
These commercial rifles were made to Chinese military specifications, minus the full auto capability.
Importation was banned in 1989 by Federal law.

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:38 PM
It has a circle with 386 in it. then it says p47 and then 023181 , then it says KFS Atlanta GA, will this help?

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:39 PM
So can it be sold if it was banned?

Microgunner
September 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
Absolutly. It was never part of the ban.

Chadchad
September 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
Sorry to ask so many questions but is any sort of permit needed to sell something like this and what type of price mights something like this fetch, I have multiple clips as well as a knife that attaches to the end.

Many thanks again.

Hkmp5sd
September 1, 2012, 07:09 PM
1. The gun in the picture has a milled receiver. This can be determined by the large cut out area just above the magazine well.

2. All Chinese Polytech guns were banned in 1989, so this has to be a pre-ban.

3. No paperwork is required. It is banned in some states however, such as California.

SR420
September 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
Chadchad, that Poly Tech AKM is a keepsake, something
you will hand down to your kids and keep in your family.

Loronzo
September 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
As SR420 stated, that is defenitly an heirloom rifle. It's not illegal to have. What they mean by pre/post ban is that you can't import anymore like it, the one's already in the US were "grandfathered" in. Since there is a "limited" supply the price of the rifle will go up considerablly more than a standard AK, especially as they become damaged, stolen, or lost as the years go by. I can't see the attachment because I'm on a phone but the knife you have is probally a bayonet. It mounts into a hole set under the front sights and would lay back against the stock until you swing it up onto the end of the barrel (should be a ring a little bigger than your barrel end.) Sounds like you got you a pretty nice rifle, if I were you I'd not sell it. However you can check online at the various gun sale sites and see what they are going for at the moment, however in ten years you'd probally kick yourself for not holding onto it. :D

Hansam
September 1, 2012, 09:20 PM
I've bought, sold and built plenty of AK rifles in the past. Being someone who absolutely loves the AK platform I saw your pic and started drooling.

Instantly in my head I knew two things two things and had a pretty good hunch about what it was.

I knew:

1. It was a milled receiver AK.

2. I want it. lol!

Now my hunch - I figured it was a Chinese made AK. The color of the wood kind of pointed in that direction.

That's a dandy of a rifle you have there. The gun probably didn't see a whole lot of use - the receiver doesn't bear the characteristic safety scratch arc that they get from constant use (gun being put into safe then fire then safe etc.) Its really clean too, no dings, scratches etc. The wood is in fantastic shape and not seeing the bore I'd bet it was pristine too.

I'm jealous... very jealous. :D

jonnyc
September 1, 2012, 10:42 PM
"KFS Atlanta GA"
This is the import mark for Keng's, from Atlanta, GA.
A lot depends on where you and the rifle are. If you are in CA, NJ, MA, or maybe a few others, you better check your state laws. In some states you will need to register it. I'm no expert, but you might not even be able to do that in CA. And transfer/sale to someone else is all dependent upon the laws in your state.
BTW, Chad, nice toenails!

Hkmp5sd
September 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
Technically you have a Poly Tech AKS-762 which is a semi-auto copy of the Chinese Type 56 version of the Ak- 47. It was considered one of the best Ak's being imported at the time. However, the machined receiver Ak's being made in the US are of comparible quality. It does have some collector value. I myself have one of the Poly Tech "Legend" series Ak's with an under folding stock. I would guesstimate the value of yours to be $800-$1000. (Value is somewhat dependent on your location)

Microgunner
September 2, 2012, 08:31 AM
delete

Chadchad
September 2, 2012, 07:00 PM
I can't express how professional & responsive everyone has been, it gave me plenty to go on, everyone helped me tremendously and I just want to thank you all for lending me your knowledge.

On a side note I've decided to keep it since I can see just from the comments that its a nice collectable that as Loronzo mentioned can be passed down to my kids. Now I'll be able to give them information about it so they don't accidentally sale it.

jonnyc - I try to keep my toe nails nice lol That not me in the picture actually that a friend of mine.

Big thanks again to everyone!

MTMilitiaman
September 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
Man, I never understood what people had with the milled receiver AKs. I mean, yeah, they might have been a little more durable and accurate than the stamped receiver guns, but they are also considerably heavier and more costly.

There is a reason the Soviets dropped the milled receiver in favor of the stamped. The stamped receiver was much cheaper and easier to produce, esp in bulk. The AKM established the design's durability, and did so at more than a full kilogram less weight. The milled receiver AK tips the scales at 9.5 pounds, which is actually closer in weight to a FAL or M14, or other battle rifle than it is to most other assault rifles.

5.56RifleGuy
September 2, 2012, 08:44 PM
There is a difference in trying to build rifles for an entire army, and purchasing one for to play with at the range or self defense. If someone doesn't mind the extra weight, it makes sense to get a rifle that should last longer. You could probably hand this rifle down to your great great great grand-kids.

The cost difference isn't nearly as bad when you only have to get one or two. When you are making millions of them, I can see the cost of manufacture being a lot bigger factor.

Look at the thing. It is very pleasing to the eye. It is well built. It has beautiful dark wood, almost purple in color. Nice fit and finish. It's pretty easy to see the appeal.

halfcocked
September 2, 2012, 08:57 PM
Actually you have a polytech legend with the fixed stock. Current value is about $1800 to $2500 depending on condition, have box etc. Btw the aks762 is the stamped receiver polytech. Chinese rifles were imported until 1993 or 1994 but all kfs imports are pre1989 ban rifles and can have all the evil features

5.56RifleGuy
September 2, 2012, 08:59 PM
Do you know what the barrel length is on the rifle?

Chadchad
September 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm storing it in a friends safe so I can't measure it tonight but if I had to guess its around 18 or 19 inches, I will measure it and post next time I go over.

Justice06RR
September 3, 2012, 12:33 AM
Wow that is a beautiful AK! what an AK should look like IMO.

I hope you decide to keep it.

Pacman
September 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Kengs imported these in the mid-80's, and like everyone said, this is a very high quality AK. I knew from the round muzzle what it was. Kengs imported SKS and AK's back in the Clinton days, and got stuck with a whole ship full of AK's and Chinese ammo when Clinton banned the sale almost overnight.

P.S- I would recommend light pink instead of black polish on whoever's toes those are in the picture!

bamaranger
September 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
Hey,

Does that rifle have 3 safety detents? As in safe, semi and full.

5.56RifleGuy
September 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
Nope. Doesnt look like it.

proxpilot
September 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
im jelly id love to have a rifle like that.

compdocjoe
September 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
Nice toes, and nice Polytech Legend! That is currently a $2000 rifle, very rare and very collectable. You hang on to that!