PDA

View Full Version : stripped lower

ky hunter
August 31, 2012, 10:53 AM
I have two chose from spike or stag which would you chose they have the same price tag. What makes one better than the other?

DASHZNT
August 31, 2012, 12:25 PM
I have been thorougly satisfied with New Frontier... Theyre extremely light weight and perform exceptionally well and the best part is pricing, they weigh in at $45!

FrosSsT
August 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
Not much sets them apart (if anything) there are tons of people who are pleased with both.

bedlamite
August 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Get the one with the logo you like.

Ridge_Runner_5
August 31, 2012, 12:54 PM
An aluminum lower is a lower is a lower.

Get the one with the rollmark you like more.

BillyJack3
August 31, 2012, 02:35 PM
Spike's. Hands down.

ky hunter
August 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
What makes spike better?

plouffedaddy
August 31, 2012, 04:44 PM
Nothing. Unless it has 'extra features' like a flared magwell or built in trigger guard, a stripped aluminum lower is a stripped aluminum lower. Just the logos differ.

FrosSsT
August 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
What makes spike better?

Nothing - He is probably just telling you which one HE would pick. Stag and Spikes both make mil spec coated aluminum lowers made out of 7075 T6 aluminum. Like everyone else its the roll mark that is the difference.

Nathan
August 31, 2012, 04:58 PM
Read the ar15.com lower FAQ. Those 2 might be similar or different. Most work well. Finish might be different.

madcratebuilder
September 1, 2012, 07:24 AM
Stag and Spikes both make mil spec coated aluminum lowers made out of 7075 T6 aluminum

They don't make them, they sell them. Both those lowers probably come from the same manufacturer, just have different roll marking.

Skadoosh
September 1, 2012, 07:26 AM
pick your rollmark and call it a day.

Mobuck
September 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
I've used at least 1/2 dozen different maker stripped lowers with equal results. I don't get into logo ego as long as they fit and work properly.

BillyJack3
September 1, 2012, 02:20 PM
What makes spike better?

Yep. Nothing that I can think of. Just a great local company that can't keep anything in stock due to demand. Great people and great products.

HKFan9
September 1, 2012, 05:49 PM
They don't make them, they sell them. Both those lowers probably come from the same manufacturer, just have different roll marking.

Technically Stag does make their lowers... their parent company CMT makes lowers for most the AR world... including Noveske.... like others have said... just roll marks.

Stag is CMT's in house brand... I have used their lowers with great success... personally I am not a huge fan of the deer head roll mark.

plouffedaddy
September 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
Here's a list of who makes each companies lower.

Lewis Machine and Tool
- LMT
- Lauer (old)
- DS Arms
- PWA
- Eagle
- Armalite
- Knights Armament
- Barret

Continental Machine Tool
- Stag
- Rock River Arms
- High Standard
- Noveske
- Century Arms (new)
- Global Tactical
- CLE
- S&W
- MGI
- Wilson Tactical
- Grenadier Precision
- Colt

LAR Manufacturing
- LAR
- Bushmaster
- Ameetec
- DPMS
- CMMG
- Double Star
- Fulton Armory
- Spikes Tactical

JVP
- Double Star
- LRB
- Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop
- Mega
- GSE
- Dalphon
- POF
- Alexander Arms

Olympic Arms
- Olympic Arms
- SGW
- Tromix
- Palmetto
- Dalphon
- Frankford
- Century Arms (old)

Sun Devil
- Sun Devil

Superior
- Superior Arms
- Lauer (new)

Aero Precision
- Aero Precision
- Surplus Ammo and Arms
- Palmetto State Armory

TMD
September 1, 2012, 07:27 PM
Now thats some good information to have, thanks.

ky hunter
September 2, 2012, 04:08 AM
THANKS Plouffedaddy
Now we know what is what and who is who in the lower AR world it's about the maker not the stamp on the side.Grate info.

ky hunter
September 2, 2012, 04:27 AM
With that said Info I will chose STAG.

madcratebuilder
September 2, 2012, 06:22 AM
Here's a list of who makes each companies lower.

This list would need a almost monthly update as the suppliers change constantly.

kimbershot
September 2, 2012, 07:10 AM
plouffedaddy said it all. doesn't really matter who you use for a lower. that said, you can also consider the type of shelf (high, low, medium) if you plan on using a dias or rll. only other choice--is receiver forged or billet?

plouffedaddy
September 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
This list would need a almost monthly update as the suppliers change constantly.

That's true. For instance, I think Aero picked up a few more companies recently...

Marquezj16
September 2, 2012, 08:33 AM
I thought S&W makes their own lowers now?

plouffedaddy
September 2, 2012, 05:17 PM
Nowadays they do make the Magpul lowers. The others I believe are still outsourced. They do make the rest of the gun though from what I understand.

Marquezj16
September 2, 2012, 11:29 PM
I just noticed my YHM lowers are not on the list.

ky hunter
September 3, 2012, 12:32 AM
Check this out. This is why I would choose Stag.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/ar15-articles/8788-ar-15-receiver-faq.html

Metal god
September 4, 2012, 12:00 AM
That list of makers is cool :), If corect . I have one question ,they have Palmetto under Olympic Arms and palmetto State Armory under Aero precision . There are two companys with names that close ?:confused:

And no Del-Ton

Quentin2
September 4, 2012, 01:05 AM
I just noticed my YHM lowers are not on the list.

It's an old list, at least five years old or more. But probably the best there is since the brand names don't like to share this info. There's a good chance YHM and the old Bushmaster would be in bed together. (So think LAR Manufacturing.) If you're talking something very recent then who knows.