PDA

View Full Version : Sks conversion, need help.

MarbRed88
August 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
So my brother gave me his sks that I am sure it is Chinese because of the calligraphy on the receiver. I'd like to convert it into either a bullpup style or even just a standard stock on it. My main question is, are there magazine conversions that allow actually AK-47 magazines or just the awkward looking ones that have the extra "tag" at the top where the fixed box mag sits or is that just for the Sporter model? If so where could i find one and how much will it cost. Also i live in Connecticut, so is that conversion even legal since its 7.62x 39? I've looked on the laws and what not, but don't see any bans or restrictions on an Sks. I just don't want to spend the cash and time on it, if it's only going to get me in trouble.

Thanks in advance for any and all information or ideas on which route is best (in terms of bullpup or straight stock)will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

5.56RifleGuy
August 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
You would be better off trading or selling for an AK 47, if that is what you want. The aftermarket mags generally suck for them, and it wont run right. It is a fixed mag semi auto. Trying to make it into something it isn't will just mess it up.

The sporters are factory built to take the ak 47 mags. I don't know of anyone that does a conversion. Even if they did, for the cost it would make more sense to just get a new rifle.

5.56RifleGuy
August 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
If the ak 47 type rifle isn't legal in your state (I just took a look and it seems like it isn't), I would just leave it stock. I've talked to a lot of people that dumped money into those rifles trying to make it an ak 47, and ended up making it a piece of junk.

FrosSsT
August 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
Like Dliller said - you best leave it be. It's just one of those rifles that aftermarket stuff does more harm than good.

MarbRed88
August 30, 2012, 09:35 PM
Makes sense. It is a shame the AK-47 is illegal here. Could just get a Saiga in 5.45 or 5.56.

5.56RifleGuy
August 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
If that is possible for you, that isn't a bad idea.

Mike38
August 30, 2012, 10:55 PM
Back in 1991 or there abouts, I bought a Chinese SKS just for the fun of it. $79 at a local farm supply store. I removed the fixed mag and got some 30 round detachable mags, the cheapest all steel ones I could find. It ran flawlessly. I keep reading about the SKS not working with aftermarket detachable mags, but mine ran great.

Axelwik
August 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
If you use stripper clips (the bolt carrier has a slot made for them) it's pretty fast to reload. I kind of like the fixed mag and stripper clip arrangement. It's a great little carbine.

scottd913
August 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
i have a tapco t-6 aftermarket stock system and 20 round mags they run flawlessly mag after mag red-dot i haven't sighted in yet but the rifle is great look on www.cheaperthandirt.com theres lots of goodies there. also read about the 922r compliance as it is federal.

HJ857
August 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
Two things right off. Like Scottd913 said, 922r compliance comes in to play if you modify the SKS (same would be true for a Saiga), so do some research before deciding if it's worth it.

Second, anything you do to update the SKS can be undone in a matter of minutes to put it back to original condition. You'd have to be a pretty big retard to permanently alter one in a negative manner. Interestingly enough, you can permanently alter the trigger group to make it better and increase your USA part count for 922r, but somehow leave-the-sks-in-original-condition-fanboys somehow figure THAT permanent alteration is ok. Look up Kivaari and Ben Murray for trigger work - highly recommended by the way.

I've modified a couple SKS rifles and I did it exactly because it is NOT an AK. I find the SKS in a Tapco T6 stock to be a far better handling rifle than either the basic SKS or an AK. It simply fits and points a lot better.

As far as detachable mags, there definitely are magazines that do not work. However the Tapco 20 round mag works great. There's also reports that Promag has a new 30 round mag that also works great. I do not have any experience with that mag, so it's just a rumor as far as I'm concerned. Worth looking up in any case. DC Engineering has a good magazine system that does not have a duckbill, but rather uses a plate mounted in the magwell to lock up the system. It's clever and it works but it's stupidly expensive and absolutely not worth the cost.

Detachable mags all have the duckbill (except the DC's) and if you plan on carrying a number of them in pouches (like you would for any other rifle), then you'll have to be creative in your solution because that duckbill is hard to work around. Standard mag pouches don't work. Chest rigs work decent enough though. Some Molle dump or ammo pouches also work pretty good.

Having said all that, the standard box mag and stripper clips also work darn well.

Lastly, I also have an SKS-D which is the version that takes the AK magazine. There are two issues with it, the mags are more difficult to insert and lock than either the AK or an SKS with Tapco magazines. It's just fussier and there's not much room for insertion error. Also, like the AK, there's no last round bolt hold open and that sucks. This is where the SKS really has an advantage. So the bottom line, even if there is a way to alter a standard SKS to take an AK mag (and I know that solution exists) - it's not worth the time and effort to do so. Stick with current aftermarket magazines instead.

Oh yeah, also look seriously at the Tech Sights for the SKS.

squidmp
August 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hey brother, this is the link you need to visit for all things SKS. You can actually do a lot with them.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Enjoy!!

Garycw
September 2, 2012, 07:56 PM
I agree with HJ & SQUID. These are fine guns that are underrated. I have a norinco paratrooper with all the goodies.. Folding stock, rear grip , metal heat shield , rear tri rail & side forward Side rail. Pressure switch light/lazer, & red Dot scope. Also have a yugo set up as sniper rifle. Fiber stock, cheek rest, large scope, folding bipod, & flash suppressor. Love them both! Although the AK's are nice too with a few more upgrades available, but will leave my amd65 variant completely stock as it came.
One thing I did with sks is grind the bottom of bolt carrier outter lip in the middle on each side, which allows the mags to be inserted & removed with the bolt closed.

Carne Frio
September 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
Here is a product to convert any SKS to bullpup.:D
http://sgworks.com/store-page/