PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the M&P sport AR15 owners?

relaxing
August 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
I am so much enjoying shooting, target practice and tactile drills since joining this group and being re-introduced to firearms.

I started out my rifle training with a M&P 15-22, damm I do have to say I love this rifle and am getting decent at shooting it. I want to move up to a NATO compliant MIL-SPEC rifle on the civilian M4 platform but am not ready to spend two arms and legs for cost.

I have been seeing lots of very positive reports about the M&P sport as well as the Colt 6920 and the SIG 556. for the cost I am interested in the M&P, yes I know, no forward assist or action dust cover, but it looks like the good way out ways those 2 facts.

My question to the M&P 556 sport owners, is it 100% Mil-Spec? I would like to be able to change out the upper for 300AAC at times for hunting.

I do like the M&P AR-15 300 AAC but I don't know if it is backward compatible to a 556 upper? If anyone could expand on that? that actually would be the most cost effective way to go...

Thank you so much for y'alls opinions, this group has been a great help to me in coming up to speed with today's firearms... Its very much appreciated.

-Scott

Marquezj16
August 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
No the Sport is not 100% Milspec. However, you can swap a different upper without any problems. You can use the same lower for any other upper designed for the AR 15.

relaxing
August 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Marquezj16, what would an example of something not mil-spec on the M&P? I am trying to decide between that and the Colt m4

Marquezj16
August 26, 2012, 08:05 PM
Just about everything on it.

Barrel ( length, twist, material, no chrome line), BCG, trigger guard, hand guard, no FA, no EPC, etc.

You see milspec is what the military requires for the product. Everything from what material to use and tolerances. I don't have the M4 specs but somewhere in this forum and internet it is available of which product is closest to milspec.

Justice06RR
August 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
The M&P15 Sport is a great starter AR15, and you should be able to swap out a 300Blackout upper with no issues.

But If you have the money to buy the Colt, I highly suggest that instead. Otherwise if you are on a budget, the Smith&Wesson should do fine.

SVO
August 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
uh, I own a M&P-15 in the 300 Whisper/300 Blkout. It has the forward assist and the dust cover like any other AR model. As far a being mil spec, I have no idea.

KC Rob
August 26, 2012, 10:36 PM
The M&P Sport does not have a forward assist or dust cover so you must have different model.

BillyJack3
August 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yes. The 300 Whisper has FA and Dust Cover as does all of the M&P line except the Sport.

The Sport is a great AR. It's been out for a while now and a lot of the negative comments early on are being replaced with exception performance and real world reviews.

Don't get too hung up on mil-spec. The Sport is an AR15 and is every bit as modular as the others on the market. It is a standard and will accept the accessories out there as well as upper receivers from other manufacturers.

SVO
August 27, 2012, 09:14 PM
Did not know that there are two different models of the M&P-15. Guess I have not seen a Sport model.

chris in va
August 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
There are more than two models.

Marquezj16
August 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
The M&P 15 Sport is one of my best value AR15. It is accurate and functions 100%. I am truly satisfied with mine. However if you are looking for a milspec AR, then I would suggest looking at BCM or Colt. PSA also makes nice ARs.

Crow Hunter
August 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
Depends on your definition of Milspec.

If that definition is part swapping with any other "Milspec" gun. Then it is "Milspec". You don't need any type of weird adapters or anything to switch out uppers or change triggers. I don't know if it has a Milspec or Commercial receiver extension but that is fairly easy to swap out if you decide you want to.

If your definition of Milspec is what it is made out of and how it is built and what parts are used and what tests are performed on it, then no, it isn't.

However, it has some very nice features like a Mossberg barrel with 1/8 twist, 5R rifling, Melonite treatment instead of chrome lining, integral trigger guard. It will probably be quite a bit more accurate than your average off the shelf M4gery. It will be absolutely fine for target/range and hunting and if you have a problem, S&W has great CS and will fix it.

If you are wanting to use it as a "duty" gun to defend your life with. I don't know. I haven't read any AAR's in which people have used one in a high volume shooting class. No data means it is a shot in the dark, it might be fine, but I wouldn't want to potentially stake my life on "might be".

Here is Pat Roger's comment on it.

S&W LE guns are viable. However, when you start lowering prices on anything it will generally mean you are cutting corners on the manufacturing end.

The sporter line to me is a flag- sorta like "ranch rifle".

S/F

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

jacksawyer
August 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm new to AR 15's too and a novice shooter. Went out and bought a S&W Sport. The Sport has been 100% reliable and my best groups are 1" or better. I'm shooting it with a bushnell trs-25 red dot at 50 and 100 yards. Great rifle.

jack

solman
August 30, 2012, 06:15 AM
+1 for the S&W sport. I have one and like it just fine. No problems at all after several hundred rounds never failed to feed or extract. A good shooter and a great value for an AR 15 type rifle. No, its not mil spec. You need to pony up more cash to get into that league. For a range gun it's just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use for HD if need be.

Father Time
August 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
If your definition of Milspec is what it is made out of and how it is built and what parts are used and what tests are performed on it

There is only one defenition of mil-spec and "what it is made out of and how it is built and what parts are used and what tests are performed on it" is it.
If a product isn't from the correct materials and properly tested then its not mil-spec. That dosen't mean non mil-spec parts won't work it just means they aren't the same as a true mil-spec part, even if they can be interchanged with mil-spec parts.

mukibetser
August 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
I picked up my new M&P 15 Sport yesterday -- $650 delivered (no tax), $40 FFL fee, with two new mags, with an added a magpul forend and vertical grip it comes in at under $800.

I haven't shot it yet and this is my first AR, but I can't imagine why I would need a more expensive AR for my purposes -- range plinking, a defensive carbine class, and defense if the stuff ever hits the fan. This thing feels very solid and wll put together. If it performs as well as my M&P 15-22 PC (not a single hiccup after thousands of rounds, dead on almost boringly accurate on 1 inch steel at 25+ yards with a red dot), I will be one happy camper.

chris in va
August 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
And I might add, 'mil-spec' doesn't mean it's the best. Just means it meets the military standard requirements...which can be quite low.

Crow Hunter
August 31, 2012, 07:49 AM
There is only one defenition of mil-spec and "what it is made out of and how it is built and what parts are used and what tests are performed on it" is it.
If a product isn't from the correct materials and properly tested then its not mil-spec. That dosen't mean non mil-spec parts won't work it just means they aren't the same as a true mil-spec part, even if they can be interchanged with mil-spec parts.

You are absolutely right.

But the gist of the OP original question was more directed at the interchangeability aspect. I didn't get the impression that he was looking for a "duty" weapon. I also made sure to put a caveat about going with a non-milspec rifle. Including a quote from Pat Rogers specifically on the Sport.

That is also why I put "mil-spec" in quotes.

Maybe I should have used the word interpretation rather than definition.