PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 & Walther P22 question

jwrowland77
August 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
Well I asked my wife to pick up some ammo for me so I can hit the range after work...big mistake. My wife bought me CCI Stinger 32gr, Federal lightning and Winchester high-velocity.

I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to use those in my brand new ruger 10/22, but can I salvage the trip and money by using those in my Walther P22?

anothernewb
August 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
they should all work fine in your 10/22.

They will probably all have a different POI, but still within normal for plinking cans and that sort of stuff. Target shooting will probably not be super tight - but you never know, your 22 might love 'em

The issue that some people have with the stinger ammo are mostly related to aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers.

jwrowland77
August 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
Oh ok. I thought I had read somewhere that the high velocity rounds would wear out the action quicker. Although it is a camo Ruger 10/22 that my wife bought for me. I figure the CCI stingers might be able to work in it for hunting or what not.

the rifleer
August 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
No lol, that's really silly. Just thank your wife and go have fun shooting.

By the way, if you actually wear out any action on any rifle from shooting it, you did something that very very few people ever do. Its almost impossible to wear out a .22.

idek
August 24, 2012, 10:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought I once read that high/hyper velocity ammo was actually recommended for the P22.

jwrowland77
August 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
Sweet. I'll find out tomorrow. :D

safe cracker
August 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
lol...i think she did a good job...

ScottRiqui
August 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Ruger specifically warns against the use of "Stingers" for the target version of the 10/22, but in general, the 10/22 is rated for "standard, high-velocity, or hyper-velocity" ammunition.

The Walther manual says "use only high velocity ammunition in your P22". I've always used CCI Mini-mags in mine, and they work very well. I don't know if the chamber is tight enough to cause problems with the longer case on the Stingers, though.

jwrowland77
August 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
Well I did a little further research. It appears I have the carbine style and not the target style. After a little reading of the manual, it looks like I'm pretty safe to use the ammo she bought.

Now the fun part of finding what ammo my rifle likes the best. :D