PDA

View Full Version : Where have all ARs gone

04Cobra
August 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have ordered my first two AR15s. One, from a national company, has been on order for over four months. The other, from a local company, was supposed to be ready in ten days and it's been two weeks.

I know that RRA is slammed and the supplier for the local company has everything on backorder.

What gives?

BarryLee
August 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
I just bought one a few weeks ago and had to look just a little to find the specific model that I wanted, but every shop I visited in Atlanta/Athens had a decent selection. I suppose if you want a specific custom built item you may end up in a manufacture’s queue, but I am not sure there is any shortage.

04Cobra
August 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
I ordered specific rifles from both companies, but they are their standard models. In fact, the local company had what I wanted at a gun show, but I had not yet gotten the money. The problem is that I already have my eyes on another one.:D

tahunua001
August 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
it's an election year. with another weapons ban lurking around the corner everyone is scrambling to get them before they become illegal and manufacturers are having trouble keeping up.

RamItOne
August 22, 2012, 05:28 PM
Yup, libs with their gun control policies do help the economy by boosting the weapons mfg industry :) , esp in an election year.

04Cobra
August 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
FYI, I'm a liberal who has 9 rifles and 4 handguns.
I am for limited gun control but I know that banning "assault weapons" and high capacity mags will not save a single life. Unfortunately, instead of setting goals and passing laws to address those goals and then seeing if the laws are accomplishing those goals, legislators do what ever they think will get them reelected, or have knee jerk reaction to a single incident.

Meanwhile, here I sit with two rifles on order, waiting and waiting and waiting....:(

Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry.

Crow Hunter
August 22, 2012, 06:40 PM
I have read elsewhere that there is a shortage of certain parts. I am not sure what parts or from what suppliers but if the company doesn't have alternative sources they are having to sit on orders on top of having all the demand before an election.

Good on you for understanding the truth about gun control. (I have a few liberal tendencies myself):D

It isn't about guns, it is about Control.

customaquatics
August 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
the shop here in central illinois has like 15 of them in stock :) plus the other one is around 15 too an walmart so i go around 40 different ones i can choose from in a 30 mile ratius.

UtopiaTexasG19
August 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
My goodness. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but where have you been for the last 4 years?

chris in va
August 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
There's a sea of them at our two local gun shops. Dozens.

04Cobra
August 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
458 SOCOM and 300 Blackout?

abber
August 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
I built mine, and it took a lot of time on the web to find acceptable components. I finally got it all together, and it is sweet.:)

one4gatr
August 23, 2012, 05:29 AM
I built mine, and it took a lot of time on the web to find acceptable components

Same here Abber. My build is about 90% complete and its been a real PITA. Thank goodness all I have left to finish are a few small parts that seem to be relatively easy to find in stock. Sad thing (depending on your perspective) is due to the shortage people are getting full retail on everything new and used.

But I would generally agree with the other posters... election year coupled with a few idiots who have gone on killing sprees with AR or perceived AR/Assault type weapons could lead to stricter laws which of course could be potentially devastating to our beloved hobby.

Mark

akguy1985
August 23, 2012, 05:30 AM
Finding parts is pretty tough right now. I've been wanting a 20" BCM upper assembly and they havent had those in stock in quite some time

BlueTrain
August 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm not allowed to say anything political, I found out, but I have noticed that lots of time it's difficult to find anything that you might call "standard" on a dealer's shelf but that's true with pickup trucks, too, or so it seems. On the other hand, maybe no one want's standard (usually meaning "plain") things. Yet many gun models only come one way, while others seem to be merely the basis of something custom.

Technosavant
August 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
Generally, the AR market has been subject to bursts of binge buying for the last four years or so. Much of it is fear of political assault on our rights, but some of it is also people taking stock of the current state of civilization and wondering if having one might not be a bad idea.

It started in earnest right around the election last year, and that shortage of parts (hardest items to find were barrels and bolt carrier groups, but at times it was hard to find much of anything) lasted for 8-12 months. It looks like the recent binge started a few months back and right now there's again just not much in stock... it will taper off in the few months, but for now makers are maxed out and new supply goes FAST.

Your best bet to get something fairly quickly is to have a range of acceptable choices, and find retailers with "notify me when back in stock" capability. When you get the notification, jump on it. Placing orders directly with makers is easier and less work, but you just end up getting in line and it will likely be a while.

The harder you look, the more luck you will have.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
Go to Walmart--they have plenty

BlueTrain
August 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think civilization is much better now than when I was in the army.

Technosavant
August 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
I think civilization is much better now than when I was in the army.

It could well be, but I've known some folks who tend to see the doom and gloom blogs/pundits/fortune cookies and that is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back; they've been wanting an AR, but it pushes the desire to the forefront and it goes from being a "well, maybe someday" to a "I'll take THAT one" purchase decision.

It may not take much to turn a bunch of potential demand into actual demand. Much increase in actual demand and an already strained marketplace gets overrun.

BillyJack3
August 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
04Cobra, You have options and I don't mean Gander. If you take a little drive up to Ormond Beach, stop by Florida Gun Exchange. They are in their new store and the selection is huge. They have a great variety of ARs from Colt, to S&W, to Rock River to Windham to Black Rain. Their prices are very fair as well. Also, the Walmart in Sanford has a couple ARs in stock but really, you should check out FL Gun Exchange. Spike's Tactical is in our neck of the woods also. They are moving to a bigger building over the weekend that will have a larger show room. Best of luck!

Mobuck
August 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Mine are right where I left them. They've been fornicating and procreating in the dark of the gunroom for years now and have been fruitful and multiplied(in value).

Metal god
August 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
IMO , I think its a barrel thing . For the last year or so I've been looking into the AR market. What I see is alot of stripped receivers out there both upper and lower . Lots of parts kits and many complete rifles . When you start looking around for barrels, they seem to be out of stock most of the time .

Many AR manufacturers order threre barrels from other company that make there own guns . FN , Mossberg , and others need the materials for there own products . That in turn makes it hard on PSA , Del-Ton and others to keep there complete uppers in stock . IMO

bbqbob51
August 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
I was in Walmart yesterday and saw Colts, Sig Sauers, and S&Ws. All kinds of them.The same at Cabela's this past Sunday when I picked up my Windham Weaponry SRC. Most of the last shortages and price spikes of ARs and ammo that happened in 2009 was caused by the tin foil hat crowd. We can be our own worst enemy.

oneounceload
August 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
They are wall to wall in every gun shop here north of Orlando

raftman
August 24, 2012, 11:23 PM
No apparent shortage here either at my local gun shops, the big stores like Dick's have 'em as well as the local gun shops. Prices don't seem elevated either.

Ignition Override
August 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
There have been plenty, at the recent Gwinnett GA (by Atlanta) show and the recent shows in the Memphis area.
What brands they were, I have no idea.

"Guns and Ammo" in Memphis seems to have had plenty, about four weeks ago. Maybe the prices are too high for many to sell?
If so, maybe they are already priced for November, as taking up space for a few months might not cost much.

FlyerXD
August 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
Alot of manufactures have heavy backlogs right now. I have a Colt and would like to add a Spikes to the collection but good luck finding one.

bbqbob51
August 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
Going to gun show with my brother in law. I'll check it out there and see what's up there.

Marquezj16
August 25, 2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah, they are in my neck of the woods also. However, the price seems to be a little up for some models.

bbqbob51
August 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
There were plenty at the gun show in Augusta Maine along with parts and accessories. It seemed like every other table had some.

Justice06RR
August 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cobra, Have you tried all the local gun shops? I see we are in the same area. Shoot Straight normally has a decent selection of AR15's. Even the SuperWalmarts have started carrying AR's. The one close to me on East Colonial drive has a Colt 6920, Bushmaster, Sig, and DPMS AR's in stock when I went there last week.

Are you talking about online orders only?

4runnerman
August 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
Darn- That's a easy one- There all out at the range i shoot at:D.
Man 5 years ago it was one in 30. Now it's like one in 3. They are coming on very strong out here. Still have not been bitten by the bug,But i can tell the bug is in the air:D.

Metal god
August 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
The shortages Im seeing are in parts . I've been building my own latley. Del-ton has been out of all there complete uppers for 6 months. Im guessing cuz there concentrating on making complete rifles . PSA has some but not a very good selection alot of them out of stock .

Bushmaster seems to have all you would need on there web site . The prices are competitive but do start to go up if you want more then the very basic stuff .

DPMS , Well there around but ??? Don't want to trash talk so i'll just say Im not really into DPMS right now . I don't have anything bad to say but my moma always told me if you aint got nutn good to say ---.

If money is no object there is alot out there . You can find uppers all over the web for $1,000 and up all day long .

My last build, total cost for the complete rifle $1,030 out the door:D
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4607/phone2004.jpg

Im looking in to building a 6.8mm for the next build . I was at PSA looking at there 6.8 mm uppers . They have a few and the one I like has a 18" SS barrel free float rifle length rail for $580 + tax and shipping . Midway has close to the same thing different makers . They all start around $800 and go up way out of my price range .

So in short yes there out there .In the past people were having problems getting what they wanted . But I think the manufacturers are catching up . Kinda like Ruger earlier this year .

Ignition Override
August 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
The various AR calibers and accessories divert huge heaps of cash from M-1s, Enfields etc.
Imagine prices for milsurps if the ARs (and AK clones) did not exist!

HKFan9
August 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
I just built yet another AR, I had no problems finding parts or rifles locally or online.

buffalo
August 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
Plenty of them down here in SW Fl,i'm not into ar's so i don't know what a good price is but i know they are all over the stores atleast.

Fishbed77
August 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
Bushmaster seems to have all you would need on there web site . The prices are competitive but do start to go up if you want more then the very basic stuff .

DPMS , Well there around but ??? Don't want to trash talk so i'll just say Im not really into DPMS right now . I don't have anything bad to say but my moma always told me if you aint got nutn good to say ---.

You do realize Bushmaster and DPMS are the same company, right?

Metal god
August 29, 2012, 01:15 AM
I do

Like chevy and GMC

Like Black and decker and Dewalt

Like Milwaukee , Ryobi and Ridgid .

Just because it's the same company does not mean it's the same tool .

Im sure there's other out there .Thoughs come to mine right off hand .

Fishbed77
August 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
I do

Just asking because you seem to tacitly approve of Bushmaster but sound very derogatory regarding DPMS.

They are literally built on the same line in the same factory out of the same parts bins. The only differences are the rollmarks and available configurations.

navajo
August 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Dealer friend ordered a barrel for me from RRA. Going on six months wait.
Lots of complete rifles in Texas but no barrels.

Metal god
August 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
Now that , I did not know . If that is indeed true and the same people are making the same product out of the same parts .I now may have some concerns about bushmaster . In the past I've noticed emperfections With DPMS , blemish's machining marks and things like that ( quality control more then function ). more on the inside then the outside not much but some and not so much with BM . Maybe there is and Im not looking close enough .

Thanks for the heads up :)

Metal