PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Model 70 sporter vs featherweight

Rustle in the Bushes
August 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
Man I cant decide between these two...

Not the type to buy a ton of guns, reckon this is one of those that Ill have for a good while as an all purpose 30-06.

itll be my only (modern) centerfire, will be used at the range and hopefully to take animals as well. This is one of the reasons why Im not going for a lighter gun such as a browning/tikka- dont want it beating my shoulder up too bad. I like wood, so not into the stainless/synthetic options.

damned if I cant decide between the two- help me out gun nuts!

kraigwy
August 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
The new FN Model 70 Featheweight's have a recoil absorbing recoil pad that really helps.

My 270 FN Featherweight doesn't feel any different then my pre-FN Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

You don't notice the light weight when shooting it, but you sure notice the weight (or lack there of) when humping the mountains while elk hunting.

gak
August 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
I voted Featherweight as it is one of my favorite guns of all time. In fact, while I can't argue the thicker black pad of the "new" ones (FNs) are superior functionally, aesthetically I'm a sucker for the ol' XTR and Classic Featherweights signature Winchester thin red pads--and just take it on the, uh, shoulder.

That said, .30-06 is as heavy a round I'd shoot through these Featherweights (Winchester made a limited number in .300 Win Mags out of the Connecticut plant..but there's a reason they stopped that chambering. Also, if you (OP) think you'll be primarily a rangemeister, the Sporter would be a better choice, and suck it up on the weight if actually spending a few days in the field. But I can't quite see getting a deer/elk gun strictly or primarily for the range! I spend just enough range time to get proficient for a chosen load or range of loads/bullets, but not enough to earn a master sniper badge like some do. (Gets a little spendy for one thing). I've done fine for 45 years with this scheme - and a Model 70 or two.

GeauxTide
August 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
The Sporter will have a 24" standard weight barrel and the recoil won't be bad, at all. I have a 7mm Classic that's a dream to shoot; however, I don't lug it around - just for shooting houses.

warbirdlover
August 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
Always liked the looks of the featherweight.

lovethosesooners
August 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Love my .270 Sporter-it's NOT heavy...at all (30-06 weighs 7# 4oz...featherweight weighs.......7#!)

IMO, it comes to wether you prefer a Monte Carlo style stock (which I do) and appearance, as weight is eseentially the same

I'd like the Featherweight too, just prefer the Sporter.....

DennisCA
August 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
I voted for the featherweight, probably because I'm a bit bias.
In the mid-80's I traded a Marlin 336/30-30 for a Winchester model 70 (featherweight) .270; the absolute best decision I ever made!
( although I did love that marlin)
The only thing I have done to it is replace the 4X scope with 3X9.
I have taken it through some roughest country in AZ (I was glad it was featherweight) to swamps of North Carolina and then back west to CA.
I have taken a ton of deer with it, a bunch of jackrabbits, a few yotes and
some other animals that were unlucky.
I taken my biggest deer and longest shot with this gun (both were the same deer).

Major Dave (retired)
August 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
the distinctive look of the Featherweight -

Schnable forend

Fleur-de-lei checkering pattern

"A thing of beaty, and a joy forever!:D

FiveInADime
August 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
I love the featherweight stock, but I like a 24" barrel. I voted sporter.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk