PDA

View Full Version : .260 rem AR

MikeWhite
August 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
This is my first post, i finally subscribed after exhausting google and opinions of friends. I am looking to build a 260 rem, at first i was planning on doing a bolt action build, but then decided to go the AR route. I have seen a lot of different manufacturers and was wondering if anyone had experience with any of them. Am i better off building the rifle or just ordering an upper and a lower and putting it together? Cost isn't much of a concern, been planning this build since my deployment and saving accordingly. My only stipulation is bull barrel. Any input would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong spot then I apologize.

Mike.

doofus47
August 19, 2012, 09:25 PM
260 REM is basically a .308 length cartridge with a 6.5 bullet, right?
I think you're thinking AR10 or FN/FAL.
Could be cool. Give it a go and send pics!
Welcome aboard.

zoomie
August 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
If money isn't a concern, I'd go right to the GAP-10 (http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html) made exactly how you want it. Look for a bad review of GAP's stuff and I bet you don't find much.

MikeWhite
August 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Doofus, thank you, and i will do.

Zoomie, haha, when i said price is not a concern you really jumped at the chance to show me the top of the line. I appreciate it, that website is full of beautiful weapons. I never realized that there were companies that specific and custom. Grew up poor, shooting a 60 year old 1903 springfield, so this is a fun process. Any other companies where there is more of an order and assemble type set up? Though the GAP is EXACTLY what I want, I wouldn't hate to piece it together myself if i could find 260 parts. Thanks again and in advance.

Mike.

zoomie
August 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
8541 Tactical just started an AR-10 build with a MATEN (http://megaarms.com/maten/) receiver set. Follow along - he'll spell out exactly what you need and how to do it. The only thing is you'll order a 260 barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbkd2ePeIHg&feature=g-all-u

Doyle
August 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
260 REM is basically a .308 length cartridge with a 6.5 bullet, right?

Yes, but .260s frequently have very long bullets. A 140grn bullet is common. In order to get 140grns out of a 6.5mm, you have to stretch it out longer. This causes problems in AR platforms as those long tips can hang up in magazines. Of course, the solution to that is to use a lighter bullet but that kind of negates some of the great BCs you get out of a 6.5.

hodaka
August 20, 2012, 06:47 AM
If you are not set on building it yourself Armalite and DPMS both sell them. Regarding 140 grain bullets, I'm sure you can seat them to magazine length and only suffer a little less case capacity (if you reload). I'm not sure of the length of factory .260 ammo with 140 grain bullets but I'm sure you can find that info easily.

trg42wraglefragle
August 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
Have a look at high BC 7mm and 6.5mm bullets, they are extremely long!

You don't want to end up building a rifle and finding out you can't use decent bullets.

Bush Pirate
August 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
I have a dpms in 260. I have not had any issues with 140 grn bullets and magpul. The factory mags are a little suspect though.

tobnpr
August 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
Just wondering about why you initially wanted bolt, but then changed to semi...
Not knocking long range shooting with a semi (my older son has a 6.5 Grendel he shoots long range), but there's always that trade-off in accuracy. A semi in .260 will be accurate with a quality build- but not as accurate as the bolt action- and cost significantly more for a sub-minute build.

What caused you to change your mind?

MikeWhite
August 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for the posts. Topnpr, I have a couple of reasons. I don't spend very much money, and in Afghanistan a sergeant was always talking about how much he wanted a Grendel. After some research so did I. I was pretty poor growing up and I always used hand me down bolt guns, and always wanted to build a 260, because for my purposes, it is almost perfect. I have a savings account I decided to tap in to for a new toy, and figured that this way I can have both, a nice compromise for a gun I can use for anything without having to feel bad about spendin money on two toys. Also, I can always buy a bolt action for cheap that shoots awesome put of the box. Does that makes sense or am I crazy?
Mike

tobnpr
August 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Makes perfect sense!

You used the word "compromise", and that's exactly what it is. My son had the same reasoning- he wanted a semi, but he wanted an accurate semi. He understood he wasn't going to get the same level of accuracy as his bolt gun, and he wanted something he could have fun with at shorter ranges shooting offhand- and capability to bang some steel at 600 yards.

Depending on your budget, you can end up with one that can come close to bolt gun accuracy. The higher end suggestions above- including the GAP and a Mega Arms build will definitely deliver. Lots of good info over at Snipers Hide on the GA Precision builds. My other son almost went with the DPMS Panther .260 with the heavy barrel last Xmas (but decided on a Savage instead)- great "budget conscious" way to get into the AR-30 platform.

The Grendel is the best LR target caliber for the AR-15 platform- and the .260 can't be beat for the AR-10.

bullspotter
August 23, 2012, 01:07 AM
My gun guy built me a 260 AR-10 last year. Iron ridge match recivers, kreiger 26 inch bull bbl, jp break and bgc parts, adjustable gas block. went all in, got $3000+ into the gun, and toped it off with a $2300 night force scope. I could have saved some $$ and had just as accurate of a gun, but with less bling, but i wanted a nice gun.

I was big into the bolt gun being better for long range work, now not so much, I will agree the cost $$ for accuracy is higher for a gas gun. But not near as bad as several years ago. AR parts are alot better now. Also a AR-10 is generaly higher priced over say a remington 700 anyways, they cost more to begin with, of course higher (accuracy) end guns will cost more. Need to compare apples to apples.

A gas gun is harder to shoot, The bcg is really alot of moving mass, and it moves fast, I think their is alot more skill (trigger time)needed to shoot a gas gun vrs a bolt gun, form,follow though and pinning the trigger are more important.

I think gas guns get bashed on their level of accuracy, because they are harder to shoot then a bolt gun. Thus leading to some of the storys about the AR-10 not being accurate.

I have seen bone stock DPMS build 260s shoot sub moa out to 300 yards easy, with a good trigger man behind them. These were $1100-$1200 guns.

Just because you have some custom wazoo rifle (bolt gun or gas gun) dosent mean you will shoot great. I will agree that a bolt gun will be slightly more accurate overall then a gun with moving parts, but a good AR-10 will pry not get used to its full level accuracy by a very large % of people who own them. I feel they are harder to shoot, you need to shoot more to be really really good. Being a reloader (if you are) will work to your advantage.

I say get a 260 Ar-10, build one or buy a nice Mid to high level gun from a good builder and LEARN TO SHOOT IT. you will not regret it. The 260 is an outstanding round in the AR-10 platform.

Just my .02

Blackops_2
August 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
If money isn't a concern, I'd go right to the GAP-10 made exactly how you want it. Look for a bad review of GAP's stuff and I bet you don't find much.

Much?!? lol I'd be willing to bet he doesn't find any ;) Seriously though George makes some scary accurate rifles.

Mike the GAP10 is one of the most accurate AR-10 type platforms around, if not the most accurate (debatable). That being said it wouldn't hurt you going GAP, LMT, Baer, etc. There are number of accurate AR 10s out there. Getting the upper and building the lower would be cheaper. I'm not sure if GAP sales uppers. IIRC Baer and LMT does.

As for the loss of accuracy due to semi, while that's true in most cases the gap is closing.

GAP 10 5" group @ 1000yds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoH0IytAFXw)

Yes, but .260s frequently have very long bullets. A 140grn bullet is common. In order to get 140grns out of a 6.5mm, you have to stretch it out longer. This causes problems in AR platforms as those long tips can hang up in magazines. Of course, the solution to that is to use a lighter bullet but that kind of negates some of the great BCs you get out of a 6.5.

That's where the Creedmoore comes in. Though you could just run a compressed load with a 140gr for the .260. As you said though it would get tricky, especially with the VLD types. While the 140s are definitely the niche for the 6.5s BC the 120s-130s also have adequate BC as well. There is also the other notion at going the 6mm rout. Lighter bullets, almost equally high BC, and shorter in overall length.

MikeWhite
August 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
I know it wasn't in the running, but after some reading and a call to Savage I custom ordered a 10/110 Predator Max 1 6.5 creedmoor with the HS Precision stock. The bolt action ended up winning, and with the ballistics being so similar to the 260, i went with the creedmoor due to the Hornady factory load selection and prices. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Mike

tobnpr
August 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
Nice...
I hadn't seen that new model yet. Heavy fluted barrel I can see, but their website is short on details. It just says "synthetic" stock. But it's an HS?

That's sure to be a shooter. Is it in stock, or do you have to wait?

Yep, the 6.5 Creed and the .260 are ballistic twins (along with some others that are too close for me to be able to tell the difference if I were behind the rifle).

Great value, now you've got extra $$ for the mount and optic...

MikeWhite
August 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
She told me 6 weeks or less(she suggested I say I needed it sooner for a hunt) bu you have ask them to switch the stocks, it upped the price by about 450 which seems right to me, those stocks aren't cheap. I actually am thinking about calling back and switching. They offer a a McMillan that I like more, but looks like you basically pay for the stock. She said the wait would be the same whether I upgraded or not, so it seems like a pretty smooth process.I Will keep you posted though. I am getting pretty pumped haha

Mike

tobnpr
August 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
Buds has them in stock (with the factory stock) for $720 shipped...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70994/Savage+10+PRED+HNTR+6.5%22+CREED+MAX1

MikeWhite
August 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
I have never ordered anything from them before, but I did set up an account a while back. I have no experience taking a bolt gun apart. How difficult is a stock swap? Can I do it myself? As always, thanks in advance for all of the help guys.
Mike

tobnpr
August 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
Stock swap is as simple as loosening the action screws and removing the action from the stock. If you've got a screwdriver, you can do it.

It's helpful to have a torque wrench for consistency, but not required. That would apply even to the factory setup...

You just need to make sure if/when you order the HS or other aftermarket stock that you get one contoured for the dia. of the rifle barrel.

MikeWhite
August 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thank you. I saved a lot of money going through buds, i hope they are as good and fast as the reviews say they are. I really appreciate you saving me the 200 bucks. I hate to keep asking everyone for information, but i am having a lot of trouble figuring out the searches and i am getting frustrated with google. I have never bought a high end scope, wally world glass to this point. I am looking to spend between 5 and 7, but i don't know where to start, what base or what rings go with which scope. I am sure this is simple, but i am having a lot of trouble with it. With a scope that costs as much as the gun, i would really just like some other opinions. The vortex viper HS has caught my eye, and seems to have favorable reviews. What base is the most common?

tobnpr
August 27, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mike,
Bought from Buds several times, no problems yet...glad it saved you a few bucks.

Go with a 20 moa down angle, one piece base. This will give you more "up" adjustment on your scope, which never hurts...

I like EGW, there are many others like Talley, or Seekins on the high end...
http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46208.aspx

There are many good choices for optics. I own a couple of Vortex scopes, and I can tell you they're my first choice as far as quality, value for the buck and customer service (which is extraordinary).

The Viper HS is a great choice. I also like the Viper in 6-20 which- depending on the range you intend to shoot- offers a little more magnification on the top end.

MikeWhite
August 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
As always thank you again. I was deciding between the viper and the leupold, still having trouble buying foreign. Might go with the leupold. I jumped the gun a little on the base, went with a cheap weaver until I can find a 500 yard plus range. Bipods are next, painting the stock. Really fin process. Glad I joined up here, made the whole thing a lot easier for those of us who are gettif started. I will post pictures when it is getting close.
Mike